U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Opinion on illegal immigration/border security
Open up the border, let them all in, drugs/human trafficking as well. 1 0.51%
Secure the border, deport the "bad hombre's", offer path to citizenship for balance 65 33.33%
Secure the border, deport all illegals. 119 61.03%
Other, explain in response. 10 5.13%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 06:23 PM

9,166 posts, read 2,598,217 times

Advertisements

I am a legal immigrant where I live now. In this country unlike the USA immigration laws are actually enforced. If they find you have over stayed your VISA by months or years, you will find yourself paying huge fines and jailed and finally deported. You really, really don't want to be jailed over here. These prisons are meant to be a punishment as well as a deterrent.

If they find you in the country illegally as in you snuck across the border. They don't say "well Sheeeeee it. How do we make this right for you?" No they enforce their laws. They will take all of your possessions, fine you, jail you then deport you.

The USA can learn a lot from other countries in regard to immigration enforcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 06:25 PM

11,529 posts, read 7,438,428 times
The more the better.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:38 PM

1,193 posts, read 209,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No common sense whatsoever. We already tried your plan back in 1986 and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today.
Yes that is why I said secure the border first. Reagan was an idiot for giving amnesty without securing the border. Seems like common sense but even the Gipper blew it.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:44 PM

9,166 posts, read 2,598,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Yes that is why I said secure the border first. Reagan was an idiot for giving amnesty without securing the border. Seems like common sense but even the Gipper blew it.
Well to be fair, his mistake was in trusting a Kennedy and congress to keep their word.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:53 PM

37,606 posts, read 16,653,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I chose "other". Here is my explanation:

1) Close the border.

2) Raids and deport as many as possible. It will take time, and some will make it easy by self deporting.

3) Never allow "anchor babies" in again.

4) Build the wall. Include other various technology for the Border Patrol to assist in monitoring the border.

5) E-verify to be mandatory.

6) Any business who hires an illegal alien will not just be fined, but will be imprisoned. No more slaps on the wrist.

7) Merit based immigration. No more immigrants who do not provide something of value to this society. AND, the ONLY way that they can take a job is if we have as many as possible employed in that particular job, and cannot find any American citizen to fill it - but employers can't just pass on people simply because they want to hire an immigrant and pay them less. They have to make a serious effort to find candidates to fill the positions. No more laying off American citizens to replace them with visa card holders.

8) DACA recipients can stay. At this point, most of them are adults. I'm willing to allow them to stay to get everything else.

9) In the future, because of merit based immigration (meaning they will have skills that are needed), no more welfare of any type for any immigrant. Plenty of other immigrants in the past have waited their turn, arrived legally, had hardly anything to their name, and built up either a business and/or a good life for themselves and their families. If they can't support themselves, or don't have a sponsor (meaning a job), they don't come in.

10) This goes for every immigrant, no matter what part of the world they are from.
I agree with everything except about the DACA's. By allowing them to stay it rewards their parents for bringing them here. No child should benefit from their parent's lawbreaking. It sends a message that all you have to do is drag your kids over our border illegally and they are home free. We don't need the competition for jobs with these DACAs either.

What about the separation of families thingy? If the DACAs are allowed to remain here what about their parents? See where I'm going with this? No, the entire family needs to go back to their homelands and apply to come here legally as legal immigrants do and wait their turn in line.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:11 PM

24,680 posts, read 12,181,073 times
Number three. No DACA, amnesty or anything. Here illegally, out you go.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:15 PM

13,025 posts, read 4,020,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I agree with everything except about the DACA's. By allowing them to stay it rewards their parents for bringing them here. No child should benefit from their parent's lawbreaking. It sends a message that all you have to do is drag your kids over our border illegally and they are home free. We don't need the competition for jobs with these DACAs either.

What about the separation of families thingy? If the DACAs are allowed to remain here what about their parents? See where I'm going with this? No, the entire family needs to go back to their homelands and apply to come here legally as legal immigrants do and wait their turn in line.
I agree except I don't want merit based immigration that is mass and globally sourced either. All it will do is bring a lot more non-western, Asians to take all the good jobs and vote democrat policies. I want to just end immigration all together. If we can't have the pre-1965 rules where culture and demographics were considered, then just end it. It would be best to end it anyway, as we're overpopulated as it is.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:35 AM

37,809 posts, read 16,374,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Just curious on where a majority of us stand on illegal immigrants and border security:

1. Open up the borders and just let them all in (this means free flow of drugs and human trafficking as well) Amnesty for all existing illegal immigrants.

2. Secure the southern border, deport the "bad hombre's" and offer a merit based path to citizenship for the balance.

3. Secure the southern border, deport ALL ILLEGALS.

4. Other-explain in your post.

I really feel like Trump is in support of #2, which is a moderate stance compared to hard left and right opinions.
Your title is MISLEADING."Poll on Immigration" then every questions abut Illegal iimmagration

Old 08-17-2019, 06:38 AM

1,564 posts, read 731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
2 obviously
3 obviously

Old 08-17-2019, 06:38 AM

2,372 posts, read 763,852 times
Deport all illegals and let them get back in line to enter legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies