Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Opinion on illegal immigration/border security
Open up the border, let them all in, drugs/human trafficking as well. 1 0.47%
Secure the border, deport the "bad hombre's", offer path to citizenship for balance 72 34.12%
Secure the border, deport all illegals. 126 59.72%
Other, explain in response. 12 5.69%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 01:49 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It doesn't have to be all or none. I'd say deporting 50% would be wildly successful.

Cut off all freebies, and you'll find that we don't need to do that much to fix a large part of the problem.
I am not speaking on all "freebies" that you may be insinuating, but....
I don't know about you, but if someone comes over here and is stuck "in process", and discovered to have ebola, I sure as hell want him/her to be cured of that, and sequestered, post haste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 02:30 PM

108 posts, read 42,052 times
Secure the border with land mines,snipers,guard towers,dogs etc. Deport ALL illegals. Completely stop ALL legal immigration.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:42 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
I want a relatively simple and easy path to citizenship. No deportation for anyone already here. If someone wants to be here and work, I believe they should be able to.

As long as becoming a citizen legally is easily doable, I'm fine with whatever border security people want.

There's always a lot of debate and people freaking out whenever the whole topic of the falling birth rates comes up. People are worried that Americans aren't having enough babies and that there won't be enough workers in the future. Letting in more immigrants seems like the perfect solution to that problem.
So, every 10 to 20 years, we just legalize everyone who came here illegally?

Old 08-16-2019, 02:47 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Remove the incentives for them to remain here and secure the border against any future entries. Implement e-verify and end birthright citizenship for their kids and any benefits they receive through them. No more amnesties and no path to citizenship for those who thumbed their noses at our immigration laws and went on to commit felony ID theft to work here.

If we need immigrants in the future then we can import them legally. No rewards for those who came here illegally. They must go back home and apply to come here legally as legal immigrants do.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I'm for option #2. It's impractical to deport every illegal; they're too integrated into the economy. We'll need some sort of compromise solution.

Personally, I think illegals who came here as adults should never be provided a path to citizenship, but it'd be okay if they became legal residents. I'm open to accommodating citizenship for others, such as children of illegals who have attended U.S. schools for 5+ years and have become culturally assimilated. Military service is already a path to naturalization, so that should be allowed for young illegals as well.

My $.02 worth.
Your suggestions aren't even worth $.02 as it's not in the best interests of our own citizens and rewards unlawful behavior. How are Americans to get their jobs back just for starters or doesn't that matter?

Old 08-16-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
It would be interesting to look at the cost of deporting all illegals versus making them citizens. I bet rounding up all illegals across the USA would be astronomical. Federal workers could milk those bucks big time with all the "Overtime" across the country. Not to mention all the staffing up these agencies would need in order to effectively pull it off.

All the court cases, challenges, countries declining to take their citizens, on and on and on. I could see it costing >100 billon easy, and you better believe those agencies will find a need to keep the additional funding and personal. A new government jobs program that will never end.

Versus securing the border and provide a 1 time path to those already here post securing. Seems like common sense but that's not so common anymore.
No common sense whatsoever. We already tried your plan back in 1986 and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:10 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No common sense whatsoever. We already tried your plan back in 1986 and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today.
^^^^^This. Secure the border. Fine companies that employ ILLEGAL ALIENS, and fine them enough where it hurts and they won't do it again.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:59 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
1. Secure the boarder
2. Gather names of current illegals and give them 3 years to be fully self sufficient and if they go on any type of welfare, exit stage left they go.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:10 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
My state has never asked if a student enrolling in the district is legal or their parents. About 10-15 years ago a state comptroller said the state needed to keep track of what was being spent on illegals. They had never done it before. I'm not sure they are doing it now. Business wants cheap labor.

IMO, deporting all who are currently here is not practical. Nobody has ever said what it would take to deport all illegals.

The kids who were brought here, IMO, should be allowed to stay. Parents and everyone else can go home, take a number and get in line.

My county taxed property owners to provide a hospital for illegal expectant moms since I was a kid. That tells me what the politicians think about birthright citizenship. My county politicians have been controlled by real estate developers and builders for 100 years.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:55 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Just curious on where a majority of us stand on illegal immigrants and border security:

1. Open up the borders and just let them all in (this means free flow of drugs and human trafficking as well) Amnesty for all existing illegal immigrants.

2. Secure the southern border, deport the "bad hombre's" and offer a merit based path to citizenship for the balance.

3. Secure the southern border, deport ALL ILLEGALS.

4. Other-explain in your post.

I really feel like Trump is in support of #2, which is a moderate stance compared to hard left and right opinions.
I chose "other". Here is my explanation:

1) Close the border.

2) Raids and deport as many as possible. It will take time, and some will make it easy by self deporting.

3) Never allow "anchor babies" in again.

4) Build the wall. Include other various technology for the Border Patrol to assist in monitoring the border.

5) E-verify to be mandatory.

6) Any business who hires an illegal alien will not just be fined, but will be imprisoned. No more slaps on the wrist.

7) Merit based immigration. No more immigrants who do not provide something of value to this society. AND, the ONLY way that they can take a job is if we have as many as possible employed in that particular job, and cannot find any American citizen to fill it - but employers can't just pass on people simply because they want to hire an immigrant and pay them less. They have to make a serious effort to find candidates to fill the positions. No more laying off American citizens to replace them with visa card holders.

8) DACA recipients can stay. At this point, most of them are adults. I'm willing to allow them to stay to get everything else.

9) In the future, because of merit based immigration (meaning they will have skills that are needed), no more welfare of any type for any immigrant. Plenty of other immigrants in the past have waited their turn, arrived legally, had hardly anything to their name, and built up either a business and/or a good life for themselves and their families. If they can't support themselves, or don't have a sponsor (meaning a job), they don't come in.

10) This goes for every immigrant, no matter what part of the world they are from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies