Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Opinion on illegal immigration/border security
Open up the border, let them all in, drugs/human trafficking as well. 1 0.47%
Secure the border, deport the "bad hombre's", offer path to citizenship for balance 72 34.12%
Secure the border, deport all illegals. 126 59.72%
Other, explain in response. 12 5.69%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 06:29 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Deport everyone for whom it is the case, that all eight great-grandparents were born in the United States.
WTH are you talking about? If one is born in this country to citizen or legal immigrant parents why should they be deported?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 09:11 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Deport everyone for whom it is the case, that all eight great-grandparents were born in the United States.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
WTH are you talking about? If one is born in this country to citizen or legal immigrant parents why should they be deported?
Do you really want an honest answer to that question?

Old 08-20-2019, 10:21 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,380 times
#3 for me.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:54 AM

13,649 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Do you really want an honest answer to that question?
Should I offer one?

Old 08-20-2019, 03:25 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,739 times
I voted #2, but my druthers would change 'path to citizenship' to 'path to legal status.' Citizenship really should be reserved for those who apply and enter legally. That is how it is done in Norway.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:29 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I voted #2, but my druthers would change 'path to citizenship' to 'path to legal status.' Citizenship really should be reserved for those who apply and enter legally. That is how it is done in Norway.
Even a path to legal status starts in the immigrants homeland, not on our soil. Why should we reward those who thumbed their noses at our immigration laws and reward them with legalization? It's a slap in the fact to those who waited patiently in their own countries and followed the legal process from there. We don't need these illegals either. Americans need their jobs back and legalization of illegal aliens negates our sane annual quotas for legal immigration. How does it alleviate the overcrowded conditions in our schools, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods and the further depletion of our natural and social resources by legalizing millions of illegal aliens? Why have immigration laws at all if all we are going to do is legalize them for violating them? Are we to legalize and further reward them for committing felony ID theft and/or tax evasion?

Old 08-20-2019, 04:42 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,739 times
Quote:
Even a path to legal status starts in the immigrants homeland, not on our soil. Why should we reward those who thumbed their noses at our immigration laws and reward them with legalization? It's a slap in the fact to those who waited patiently in their own countries and followed the legal process from there. We don't need these illegals either. Americans need their jobs back and legalization of illegal aliens negates our sane annual quotas for legal immigration. How does it alleviate the overcrowded conditions in our schools, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods and the further depletion of our natural and social resources by legalizing millions of illegal aliens? Why have immigration laws at all if all we are going to do is legalize them for violating them? Are we to legalize and further reward them for committing felony ID theft and/or tax evasion?
What do you do with someone who was brought across the border as an infant, grew up in the US, does not speak Spanish, and knows nothing of Mexico. And (say) grows up to be a straight A student, pre-med, and all around solid (non) citizen? Send her back to Mexico? Seriously?

Old 08-20-2019, 04:56 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
I would say #2 is too lenient, and #3 is too harsh, although I think the whole thing about securing the Southern border is a waste of energy due to visa overstays and whatnot. So I guess I'm going to say #4 (Other.)

I think we need to do the following:
-Deport the illegal/undocumented immigrants with criminal records. Others should self-deport.
-Get serious about enforcing rules about companies hiring illegal/undocumented immigrants. I'm beyond furious that hard working Americans were replaced with illegal/undocumented immigrants because the former wanted humane working conditions, in the recent ICE raid in Mississippi for example. We need to get serious about labor issues, and stop trying to fight unionization so much. This will cut down on illegal/undocumented immigrants being able to find work.
-It's far too difficult to get low skill immigrant labor legally. Sometimes these workers are needed. Make it much easier for seasonal workers and other such laborers from other countries to work in the US.
-I'm good with DACA, because it isn't the kids' fault.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:05 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
What do you do with someone who was brought across the border as an infant, grew up in the US, does not speak Spanish, and knows nothing of Mexico. And (say) grows up to be a straight A student, pre-med, and all around solid (non) citizen? Send her back to Mexico? Seriously?
Yes send her back to her family and homeland in Mexico. She sounds exactly what Mexico needs more of.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:08 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
The heartless band is playing their tune in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies