U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2019, 01:52 PM
 
19,824 posts, read 12,461,452 times
Reputation: 10965

Advertisements

The AGW "evidence" has been suspect due to manipulation of temperature measurements over the last century. Inconvenient temperature measurement which refute the idea of AGW have been discarded or changed in order to fit the AGW hypothesis.


However............................. they forgot to do something.


The gas equation PV= nRT shows that with increase temperature, there is an expected increase in pressure. One sees the converse of this at higher altitudes in which lower temperatures occur the higher one goes. Higher temps should result in higher pressures, but the opposite was observed and this was a long term trend over 100 years.


The AGW crowd forgot to change the barometric pressure measurements as well.


https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.co....1002/joc.3546


Measurements of pressure over the arctic from the late 1800s to the present actually show a decline in average barometric pressure. Of course, the opposite would be observed if temps were actually increasing.


Looks like a mistake on the part of the warmers; look for them to go back and try to change the barometric pressure data as well to cover their tracks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2019, 02:00 PM
Status: "Time for 25" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Columbia, SC
7,618 posts, read 4,570,811 times
Reputation: 9089
Congratulations. You figued it out all by yourself! Well, you and that link. I trust scientists on this. I was never that good in Science anyway. I don't believe the world is ending in 20 years, but I am also not silly enough to think that humans have had no adverse effect on the earth either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,326 posts, read 281,646 times
Reputation: 1361
The ideal gas law is intended to be applied to a local volume. On the scale of the Earth's atmosphere, there is too much variation in temperature and pressure for it to be useful as a global predictor. You would need to divide up the volume into suitably small pieces then integrate across the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The gas equation PV= nRT shows that with increase temperature, there is an expected increase in pressure. One sees the converse of this at higher altitudes in which lower temperatures occur the higher one goes. Higher temps should result in higher pressures, but the opposite was observed and this was a long term trend over 100 years.
Yet higher air temperatures usually mean lower pressure areas; the opposite of what you assert. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 02:10 PM
 
19,824 posts, read 12,461,452 times
Reputation: 10965
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The ideal gas law is intended to be applied to a local volume. On the scale of the Earth's atmosphere, there is too much variation in temperature and pressure for it to be useful as a global predictor. You would need to divide up the volume into suitably small pieces then integrate across the lot.

Climatology is complex.
So you are saying that the SIZE of the earth's atmosphere changed?


The gas law is often shown and used to calculate temperature changes at certain altitudes.


If one was actually looking at HEAT (that is what the AGW crowd contends), then one would have to calculate the number of Joules of energy per cubic meter as well. However, that is never done and an estimate of this "heat" is made by temperature measurements, which is not entirely appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Sandy Springs)
5,297 posts, read 2,879,863 times
Reputation: 4002
PV= nRT is an equation for high school textbooks that simplifies the understanding of fluid dynamics.

It is known as the "ideal gas law" because it is only valid for an "ideal" (meaning usually fictional) gas.

Real scientists use equations far more complex than this. Your post is laughable but typical of denialist level ignorance about science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 02:32 PM
 
3,295 posts, read 945,781 times
Reputation: 1986
When they tell you something is poison and going to destroy the world....

....and then tell you that developing countries get to increase it

Because they were late to the game.....we did it first
Because they have more people.......per capita
Because they didn't make enough money.....GDP

and still try to blame you for it.......it's a scam

who's causing global warming > http://www.yaleclimatemediaforum.org/pics/0713_Fig3.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 02:35 PM
 
1,323 posts, read 820,562 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The AGW "evidence" has been suspect due to manipulation of temperature measurements over the last century. Inconvenient temperature measurement which refute the idea of AGW have been discarded or changed in order to fit the AGW hypothesis.


However............................. they forgot to do something.


The gas equation PV= nRT shows that with increase temperature, there is an expected increase in pressure. One sees the converse of this at higher altitudes in which lower temperatures occur the higher one goes. Higher temps should result in higher pressures, but the opposite was observed and this was a long term trend over 100 years.


The AGW crowd forgot to change the barometric pressure measurements as well.


https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.co....1002/joc.3546


Measurements of pressure over the arctic from the late 1800s to the present actually show a decline in average barometric pressure. Of course, the opposite would be observed if temps were actually increasing.


Looks like a mistake on the part of the warmers; look for them to go back and try to change the barometric pressure data as well to cover their tracks!
I think there's a simpler way, if you want to explain the most salient problems to a layman.

1. 100% of climate scientists don't understand clouds.
2. 97% of climate scientists agree humans are the principal cause of global warming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 02:49 PM
 
1,671 posts, read 439,498 times
Reputation: 2093
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
PV= nRT is an equation for high school textbooks that simplifies the understanding of fluid dynamics.

It is known as the "ideal gas law" because it is only valid for an "ideal" (meaning usually fictional) gas.

Real scientists use equations far more complex than this. Your post is laughable but typical of denialist level ignorance about science.
He’s a Internet doctor don’t ‘cha know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 02:58 PM
 
1,323 posts, read 820,562 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
He’s a Internet doctor don’t ‘cha know.
Have you ever intercalated a medical degree course or module at college?

MDs are usually trained in critical appraisal and systematic review skills that can be applied to most scientific fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Decatur, GA
5,339 posts, read 4,085,191 times
Reputation: 2855
Though I agree that the data has manipulated, this isn't the evidence for that I'm afraid. Earth is an open container, if the atmosphere heats up, it can expand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top