Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 09:30 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,014,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
people believe in the fantasy world politicians have laid out for them
If its free, it wont be respected. Same is happening with education also. In fact it would be a great idea to enforce Trump s " Immigration plans" . Force the non Americans to pay, then people would pack their bags. Use that amount to give the struggling or single parents some form of "day care" credit. That is where I find people spending a lots of money.

People blame the democrats for "taxing the rich" to give freebies. This way they wont tax the Americans. They only tax the non Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 04:59 AM

58,675 posts, read 26,957,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The states compulsory education system imposes a great financial burden on every property owner, especially the ones who have no children to educate...with the exception of some seniors in Alabama who managed to escape being victimized, but not without you implying they are responsible for higher taxes on everyone else
"a great financial burden on every property owner,"

I find it extremely odd on many on the left keep crying, "the wealthy should pay their fair share". when it is the wealthy who pay the MOST in taxes collected.

Your local taxes are based on the PROPERTY VALUE. The higher the value the MORE you pay in taxes, yet get the SAME teachers and schools as less wealthy people who live in the same district.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Fellow slaves, did you know that when a real estate developer decides to build a house or a whole subdivision of homes he/she must have the local government zone the property for enshrinement into a public school district? If not, master wouldn't get his tribute.

It's less than 3 minutes. Just pretend master is sleeping and doesn't know what you're about to watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=777s5ZhABTo
Stop with the "slaves" it is getting old and tiresome.

No ONE is a "slave". You don't want to pay taxes, DON'T WORK!

Old 08-18-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
there are 50.7MM K-12 public students. That would put the federal budget at $1,341 per student. I'm sure there's a helluva lot of money NOT spent "in the classroom" from that.

Here's how the revenues for schools works in my system (it's county-wide):
Education is a LOCAL issue. No where in the Constitution does it even mention education, much less about tax dollars for it.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Integrated or thematic curriculum with smaller classrooms.

Smart, knowledgeable, committed teachers. When my kids were in school teachers came from the top 10% of their graduating class. Now it is the bottom 10%. A good teacher knows what each kid in the room needs. No testing is needed.

Two of my grandkids went to an alternative school where there were no grades and no grading. One did score almost perfect on his SAT. His college through Ph.D free. The other did well enough to get almost a full ride through undergrad.

They are normal kids. Discount what grandma thinks. You'd say they are just like any other kid on the block.

The key was small classes and a thematic curriculum. That 5000 a year tuition from K-8 paid off big time. But the educates and the testing , textbook industry would never permit it to happen in public schools.

IMO, any school board in the country could tell the DoE to KMA on the courthouse steps, forgo all federal funding and do what they want. Most of the federal money is free lunches. Kids can take their lunch. The school my grandkids went to didn't serve any food. The kids brought their own. One of my own kids went to a magnet HS that had no cafeteria. They brought their lunches. Or moms came in at lunch time and either brought lunch for those who had none, or collected the money and went out and brought in lunch.
" Now it is the bottom 10%" Has been that way going back to the 60's.

Where do you think all those college educated "Hippies" got jobs?

Old 08-18-2019, 05:13 AM

18,880 posts, read 14,072,504 times
Colleges perform well because they're not selling education. They sell credentials. You can learn any way, any place, any time, but without credentials, you cannot get hired under current labor laws.
. . .
Politically controlled and funded education is a disaster and should be scrapped entirely.

There is no connection between those who are paying for it and those who get the benefit (or lack thereof).
Thus if the customer is unsatisfied, too bad. You're stuck with whatever is politically correct and approved.

Let's just scrap all public schooling. Learn any way you can - apprenticeship - on the job - self study - tutoring - organized classrooms.
Have periodic examinations at minimal cost.
The only thing government should do is offer a credit bank for public records of test scores, complaints and recommendations.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:58 PM

23,789 posts, read 14,918,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Now it is the bottom 10%" Has been that way going back to the 60's.

Where do you think all those college educated "Hippies" got jobs?
Those college educated hippies do pretty good running alternative schools.

They take no money from any government and their graduates score well on SATs.

All that and they continue to tell the government to KMA looks good to me.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:13 PM

39,809 posts, read 26,359,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What I question is the ridiculous amount of money we spend with lackluster results. Where are the results for all the money we are spending now?
Our education industry puts kids last. It has been much more a jobs program for public employees, from teachers, administrators, on through all the rest of the school system. To say nothing about the public employee unions raking massive amounts. Our entire system is broken and needs a major teardown and rebuilding.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:03 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,220,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No, we don't spend enough on education when books are falling apart and teachers have to spend their own money for supplies. I do agree that parents don't do their job. They expect teachers to do it for them
We DO spend enough on education.

For what it costs to "educate" a student in my town per year? You could send two kids to a local (or not so local) non-independent private.

Tech high schools? Because one isn't a great fit for a 4 year/traditional college?

That costs taxpayers in the county I live in around $35K PER STUDENT/year.

https://www.nj.com/education/2018/09...ost_per_s.html

Old 08-19-2019, 06:51 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,426,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Vietnam is a 3rd world country and scores higher on Math than the U.S. The average income in Vietnam is less than the amount or taxpayer money in the U.S. that goes to each K-12 student. The U.S. spends more than any other country on education.

There is no lack of education funding.

There is lack of:

* Standards ("No Child Left Behind" lol)
* Parenting
* IQ
You mean every child left behind!

Japan spends an 1/8 of what we do and their results blow the US model away on every level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies