U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2019, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
5,760 posts, read 7,619,584 times
Reputation: 7589

Advertisements

I say we forget China exist at all.
Bring back manufacturing to this country, and not export anything to China.
Either we pay higher prices due to tariffs, or pay higher wages for Americans to build the products we import from China.
I say employ American workers.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2019, 10:19 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 1,871,637 times
Reputation: 3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You clearly didnt understand what the Trans Pacific Partnership was.
An acceleration of the global race to the bottom, pitting the world's poor against one another, destroying upward mobility for the masses, and of course allowing the top 1% to skim all the profits off the top.

So good we can't let lawmakers read it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 10:21 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 1,871,637 times
Reputation: 3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I say we forget China exist at all.
Bring back manufacturing to this country, and not export anything to China.
Either we pay higher prices due to tariffs, or pay higher wages for Americans to build the products we import from China.
I say employ American workers.

Bob.
This stance actually hurts the movement, if you want to call it that.

We don't need to, nor should we, make every single thing here. But we should be making a hell of a lot more than we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 11:08 PM
 
24,631 posts, read 12,157,190 times
Reputation: 10503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Tariffs might not work. How do we confront them? Obama never even bothered to try. He didn't even understand the issue so I give Trump credit for making the effort.
Donít buy their junk. Donít import their junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 05:18 AM
 
Location: my little town
1,271 posts, read 430,821 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
And since rare earth metals are being brought up, have a look at some actual facts on them...

https://www-theverge-com.cdn.ampproj...china-monopoly
Then they're not worth the environmental damage, here or anywhere else on our planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 05:25 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,305 posts, read 41,297,387 times
Reputation: 30123
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Not starting, it is.
Where I live Chinese tourism was huge. It's down by over 30% from last year. Condo sales to the Chinese are way down. They are placing the blame on Trump and the trade war.

China needs the USA far more than we need them. We are by far their number one consumer. As someone else said previous Presidents have basically ignored the abuses. As much as I detest Trump I have to give him credit. He has absolutely given China a good kick in the groin.


As he did to US farmers and the taxpayers being forced to bail them out. And the Chinese government holds an edge over Trump, it doesn't have to worry about reelection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 05:37 AM
 
4,735 posts, read 3,657,074 times
Reputation: 7412
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Not starting, it is.
Where I live Chinese tourism was huge. It's down by over 30% from last year. Condo sales to the Chinese are way down. They are placing the blame on Trump and the trade war.

China needs the USA far more than we need them. We are by far their number one consumer. As someone else said previous Presidents have basically ignored the abuses. As much as I detest Trump I have to give him credit. He has absolutely given China a good kick in the groin.
Yeah China will come out of this stronger and wiser. It was stupid but necessary for China to over rely on the us for its development. The adjustment will be hard but China will further develop its links with the rest of the world and leave the us behind. China is the only country with a complete set of industrial and manufacturing capability. The us and others do not. China can make everything in the world.....not necessarily the best but complete set of everything. Thatís something no country can match. Also chinaís 1.4 billion is a Massive market in itself and China will develop that also. In the long run China will be better off. Itís. Divorce so see ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 05:39 AM
 
4,735 posts, read 3,657,074 times
Reputation: 7412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Then they're not worth the environmental damage, here or anywhere else on our planet.
Right. Chia should only dig what it needs for its manufacturing, not sell to others. It needs to take care of its own environment. STUPID CHINA WILLING TO DIRTY ITS ENVIRONMENT JUST FOR MONEY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 05:42 AM
 
4,735 posts, read 3,657,074 times
Reputation: 7412
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I say we forget China exist at all.
Bring back manufacturing to this country, and not export anything to China.
Either we pay higher prices due to tariffs, or pay higher wages for Americans to build the products we import from China.
I say employ American workers.

Bob.
Nope. Your wish isnít what corporations will do. They will stay in china or move to cheaper places. They will never come back unless you turn into a dictatorship and order them back, in which case you become a state socialist country, like nazi Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 05:56 AM
 
3,951 posts, read 1,871,637 times
Reputation: 3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Nope. Your wish isnít what corporations will do. They will stay in china or move to cheaper places. They will never come back unless you turn into a dictatorship and order them back, in which case you become a state socialist country, like nazi Germany.
Since you mentioned Nazi Germany, I just want to say that Hillary loves you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top