U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

5,658 posts, read 2,393,419 times

Advertisements

Tariffs might not work. How do we confront them? Obama never even bothered to try. He didn't even understand the issue so I give Trump credit for making the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM

32,635 posts, read 26,619,897 times
probably the way trump is doing it right now. chinas economy is starting to flounder, where as ours is still going well. yes we are having a few issues and tough times for some, but in the long run things will be much better if we can force china into being fair with trade instead of stealing everything they can. and it wasnt just obama that never dealt with china, in point of fact no president has dealt with china since nixon who went there to try and open up the markets for trade with china.

Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM

3,956 posts, read 1,545,148 times
me?
i would sell it.
china brings good money on eBay.

Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM

9,086 posts, read 2,581,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
probably the way trump is doing it right now. chinas economy is starting to flounder, where as ours is still going well. yes we are having a few issues and tough times for some, but in the long run things will be much better if we can force china into being fair with trade instead of stealing everything they can. and it wasnt just obama that never dealt with china, in point of fact no president has dealt with china since nixon who went there to try and open up the markets for trade with china.
Not starting, it is.
Where I live Chinese tourism was huge. It's down by over 30% from last year. Condo sales to the Chinese are way down. They are placing the blame on Trump and the trade war.

China needs the USA far more than we need them. We are by far their number one consumer. As someone else said previous Presidents have basically ignored the abuses. As much as I detest Trump I have to give him credit. He has absolutely given China a good kick in the groin.

Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM

16,045 posts, read 4,242,983 times
I would say - lets trade just like humans have been doing for thousands of years...you know, what we are doing now....

Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM

2,939 posts, read 1,194,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Tariffs might not work. How do we confront them? Obama never even bothered to try. He didn't even understand the issue so I give Trump credit for making the effort.
TPP was all about countering China's influence; why do you think Obama didn't try?

Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM

343 posts, read 93,697 times
I'd take extreme/drastic measures to eliminate espionage of classified data and theft of intellectual property from the US.

Then, instead of the football mentality of short term/4 quarters is the win, regardless of what the stock market does, I'd play the long game of equity while ensuring the tech advantage...regardless of the short term ramifications of liberal outrage, explusions, sharing of findings, et al.

The hemorrhaging of IP and tech from the US is THE most detrimental to our long term security.

Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM

29,520 posts, read 40,004,235 times
Obama did it right with TPP. TPP was the way to deal with China. It was one of the most important efforts of Obama's admin and offered a way forward in Asia that blunted Chinese hegemony. It was turned into a political football and sacrificed on the altar of ignorance in the 2016 election.

Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM

5,658 posts, read 2,393,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Obama did it right with TPP. TPP was the way to deal with China. It was one of the most important efforts of Obama's admin and offered a way forward in Asia that blunted Chinese hegemony. It was turned into a political football and sacrificed on the altar of ignorance in the 2016 election.
It was nafta part 2

Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM

39,746 posts, read 41,113,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I would say - lets trade just like humans have been doing for thousands of years...you know, what we are doing now....

That is not what is occurring though and it affects every industry. Pirated windows installs, the solar industry, steel manufacturers or a Chinese company that is producing a product labeled with the exact same logo as the US company.

https://www.phcppros.com/articles/88...tte-pipe-brand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or