U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 09:33 AM

18,796 posts, read 9,193,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"by Ken Burns right now. I can't believe the lies told to the public"

DON'T believe ANYTHING ken burns says and you will be better off.

He is as liberal as you can get. I know him, I know.
^^^^^^This. I tried to watch the Ken Burns documentary on Vietnam, and only could get through three ur four episodes. A lot of Anti American, Progressive CRAP. Glorified Ho Chi Minh and the North Vietnamese as freedom fighters while portraying our soldiers as Baby Killers. Total lying to fit his Liberal/Progressive, hate America AGENDA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 09:37 AM

10,091 posts, read 4,726,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^^This. I tried to watch the Ken Burns documentary on Vietnam, and only could get through three ur four episodes. A lot of Anti American, Progressive CRAP. Glorified Ho Chi Minh and the North Vietnamese as freedom fighters while portraying our soldiers as Baby Killers. Total lying to fit his Liberal/Progressive, hate America AGENDA.
Have not seen it and have no interest in seeing it. I just know for a fact that they lied to us while we were there and lied to the public at home. And so did the media.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:55 AM

21,847 posts, read 14,525,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I got it from your first paragraph. Did I misunderstand "without suffering from PTSD"
You omitted "comparatively speaking", which is kind of crucial.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Like being assigned to a Sherman in Panzer country
Being stuck flying a p-40
Being told you are in first wave of D-day
Landing in a glider over Germany in the middle of the night

Almost all of these men probably thought for sure they were going to die
Of course they did! And many did die. The combat suffered in WWII has had no equal since. Just read about K/3/5 on Okinawa or Peleliu.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:33 AM

10,091 posts, read 4,726,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Of course they did! And many did die. The combat suffered in WWII has had no equal since. Just read about K/3/5 on Okinawa or Peleliu.
My uncle was on Okinawa. He told some crazy stories about it.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
My uncle was on Okinawa. He told some crazy stories about it.
Lots of Marines in K/3/5 have written memoirs about that battle, I don't know if today's generation could have survived such brutality and got on with their lives as well as so many of those vets managed to. And I don't mean to disparage millennial's, or anyone else, times have changed. So has war.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:44 PM

348 posts, read 129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

Don't worry, you can always go back to watching The Green Berets if you want a version of the history you choose to believe.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:21 PM

890 posts, read 279,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
Don't worry, you can always go back to watching The Green Berets if you want a version of the history you choose to believe.

i watch a lot of military history lectures online and currently watching a few at George Marshal facility

when the notion to re-label ww2 as the last-good war was being pushed it seems quite a few ww2 veterans opposed this notion based on the fact that it sort of mythologizes warfare and detracts from wars grizzly nature...or as they say "they were only doing their job"..this was my fathers attitude (he severed everyday having been at pearl harbor....dad NEVER discussed the war except as part of a former life kind of way that he was glad to leave behind

Old 08-19-2019, 04:35 PM

5,183 posts, read 2,282,445 times
Quote:
We got our butts kicked on a daily basis and the government admitted afterward that they grossly inflated the number of enemy losses. They did it because the war was losing support at home. And no, we turned tail and abandoned the south who had fought with us.
I don’t know where you were, but where I was we sure did not get our “butts kicked” on a daily basis

Old 08-19-2019, 05:08 PM

32,658 posts, read 26,657,457 times
Quote:
We got our butts kicked on a daily basis and the government admitted afterward that they grossly inflated the number of enemy losses. They did it because the war was losing support at home. And no, we turned tail and abandoned the south who had fought with us.

the US military did not lose in vietnam. they won all the battles, including the tet offensive which fell apart after the first day, and was finished when the marines retook the city of hue.

and when nixon instituted operation linebacker two, the NVA was within three days of surrendering when the operation was stopped after the NVA went back to the bargaining table.

we lost that war when the politicians signed the peace treaty. after we puled our combat troops out of the country, the NVA swarmed south, and we ended up leaving from the embassy, because there were not enough troops in country to stop the invasion.nice try but you have failed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies