Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 03:41 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Totally agree. Why did those veterans from WWII, who saw some extreme carnage and violence, manage to, comparatively speaking, get on with their lives without suffering from PTSD like many of our warriors do today?

Because in WWII, they knew their cause, our cause, was just. The warrior of today is put into impossible situations like Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, and then left to sort it all out if he or she make it home in one piece.
I got it from your first paragraph. Did I misunderstand "without suffering from PTSD"

Old 08-18-2019, 03:58 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Totally agree. Why did those veterans from WWII, who saw some extreme carnage and violence, manage to, comparatively speaking, get on with their lives without suffering from PTSD like many of our warriors do today?

Because in WWII, they knew their cause, our cause, was just. The warrior of today is put into impossible situations like Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, and then left to sort it all out if he or she make it home in one piece.
Like being assigned to a Sherman in Panzer country
Being stuck flying a p-40
Being told you are in first wave of D-day
Landing in a glider over Germany in the middle of the night

Almost all of these men probably thought for sure they were going to die

Old 08-18-2019, 04:30 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Like being assigned to a Sherman in Panzer country
Being stuck flying a p-40
Being told you are in first wave of D-day
Landing in a glider over Germany in the middle of the night

Almost all of these men probably thought for sure they were going to die
Well the P-40 was a decent plane, but yeah against the 109's and 190's not what I would want to fly.

I can not imagine walking (running) into that wall of lead form MG-42's, artillery, and everything else they had. Don't get me started on the Shermans. How an industrial power like the U.S. could not arm our soldiers with better tanks, that late in the war was criminal.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:33 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Interesting how some of the ones of that age today, need support animals, safe spaces and are offended by everything.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:39 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
If you had a time machine and could go back and showed the American soldiers what America would become after our "win" in WW2, most of them would have deserted.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:50 PM

1,705 posts, read 538,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
If you had a time machine and could go back and showed the American soldiers what America would become after our "win" in WW2, most of them would have deserted.
The worlds dominant superpower...

Old 08-18-2019, 05:01 PM

19,720 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Many of us from the late 60s, were totally disillusioned when we came back. So many lies were told to us.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:10 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
I am watching the "The Vietnam War" by Ken Burns right now. I can't believe the lies told to the public, our allies and our soldiers to keep that going. My dad was drafted in 1968 and luckily came to no harm but his older brother is still mentally scarred from his experience. I was born in the midst of it in 1970. That era of our country fascinates me. It is amazing we didn't completely crumble under our own weight during the 60s.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:03 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Well the P-40 was a decent plane, but yeah against the 109's and 190's not what I would want to fly.

I can not imagine walking (running) into that wall of lead form MG-42's, artillery, and everything else they had. Don't get me started on the Shermans. How an industrial power like the U.S. could not arm our soldiers with better tanks, that late in the war was criminal.
Literally it took 5 Shermans to take down a Tiger and everyone knew they were dead. They literally could have replaced it with about any gun from a field piece we had been using just like the Axis did. We did but the 90 was late coming.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:

in wrold war two it was called battle fatigue, and many suffered from it. in world war one it was shell shock;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSp8IyaKCs0

one of the reasons veterans of world war one, world war two, and korea dont seem to suffer as much is because when they left the war zone, they came home in a nice slow boat, for thee most part. they had time to unwind, and talk about their experiences with people that saw the same things they did. but they also got the help they needed when they got home as well.

by the time vietnam rolled around, these guys would fly home in a few hours compared to a couple of months, so no time to relax, and talk about their experiences with others who knew what happened.

instead they came home, and had to talk to someone that had no clue about the horrors of combat, and the stresses involved. its like you getting beat up and then having to talk about it to someone who has never been in a fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies