Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 06:07 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

Do you feel that:

Federal campaigns should be funded by donors and not via money from taxes

Do away with super PACS

Do away with super delegates electing candidates

Debates only on the radio or PBS

Open primaries

Election day first Friday of November and Saturday following that Friday

Do away with Electoral College

Replace voting process by Rank Choice Voting

Yes or No???

Old 08-17-2019, 11:52 AM

5,167 posts, read 4,938,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Do you feel that:

I'd take it one step further; I'd define a "Donor" as a living, breathing person registered to vote. That would eliminate any corporate donors or those ineligible to vote from donating.
Quote:
Do away with super PACS
Absolutely!
Quote:
Do away with delegates all together. Let each and every vote count.
Quote:
??? One thing I do believe; when there is a debate, each and every candidate should get a chance to answer every question and each should be given equal time.
Quote:
Open primaries
Undecided
Quote:
I'm fine with the General election being held as it is. However, I think the Primary elections should be held on the same date no matter what state you're in. As it is now, those living in a state that holds their Primary later in the cycle are disenfranchised by the fact that some candidates have already dropped out. Holding it on the same date nationwide would give everyone, regardless of what state they live in, to have their choice of all the candidates.

I also believe that no vote results should be released until all voted are tallied.
Quote:
Yes
Quote:
???
Quote:
Yes or No???

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-17-2019 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 08-17-2019, 03:29 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
I would agree with most of those.

I also don’t thing presidential campaigns should last 2 years. That is absurd.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:45 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Put a ceiling on how much one person can donate.

End out of state/jurisdiction donations.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:52 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
The only one I disagree with is this one:

I think it should be opposite once the nominations are in and it is only the final candidate from each party. At that point it should only be federal funding so each person has the same amount to work from.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:57 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Do you feel that:

No, I don't feel that campaigns should be funded by ANY taxpayer money. Bottom line is that I don't want my taxpayer dollars being used to support partisan politics, whether I agree with the candidates its going to or not.

Quote:
Do away with super PACS
Disagree. They are mere advocacy groups that serve a purpose. My problem is with government involvement. What private citizens choose to do with their own time and money, I don't care.

Quote:
I think a party would be wise not to allow unelected super delegates to play a role in who gets that party's nomination.

Quote:
No. Television is fine for me. And PBS can be just as bad as the rest of them (remember how hyper partisan Gwen I. was against Sarah Palin).

Quote:
Open primaries
They are beneficial, but I don't support them on the whole as they can be corrupted for sinister means.

Quote:
I do not support election day taking place across multiple days as it gives corrupt parties time to know how many more votes they have to cook up to win.

As for election day being on a weekend, I am not for that either as I actually think it'll depress turnout even more. Americans value their weekends and don't want to waste hours in line voting on a day off. Now, I would be in favor of making election day a national holiday that people either got off the whole day or worked a half day.

Quote:
No. It ensures the voices of smaller states are heard.

Quote:
No. I hate ranked voting. If you want a candidate want to be more representative of the will of the voters, require that a candidate win an absolute majority of votes, or else have a runoff election. But I have found that voters don't take ranked voting seriously enough to warrant it.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:02 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
no

Old 08-17-2019, 05:51 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
We don't need election reform.

We need to encourage parties to put good candidates and accept their loss if they don't win.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Super PACs should have been never allowed from the start. Screw Citizens United.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:02 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Certainly NOT funded by donors.

I like the idea of PBS/radio for debates, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies