U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2019, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
9,761 posts, read 7,386,615 times
Reputation: 8417

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
They're not. The MAJORITY of Electoral Votes elected the President. There are very good reasons that it was structured the way it was. We are a collection of STATES first. Much if not most of your government is STATE controlled. The Feds should have much less say, and in many ways they do.

States don't want to be disenfranchised by the more populous ones corruptly run by their BIG CITIES. If Hillary had lost the popular vote and won the Electoral Vote you'd be just find, because you and the rest of the Democrats are HYPOCRITES.
we could...

apportion senators based on population, not 2 per state.

require each state to apportion the EC voters according to the popular vote in their state. ie, Hilary won 55%, give her 55% of that state's EC votes. Some states do this now, most do not. Of course, that's a state decision, not a federal.

by the way, I assume the OP and the "she won the popular vote by 3MM people!!" folks realize she didn't win a majority. and she only won by 2,868,686 people. About 2% of the total votes cast.

She won CA alone by 4,270,000 votes.
She carried the 5 NY boroughs by 1,670,000 votes, but barely won the rest of the state (by about 70K votes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2019, 02:24 PM
 
719 posts, read 380,669 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And if the majority wants to enslave a specific group in the minority?
Well slavery is illegal so....

No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 02:25 PM
 
719 posts, read 380,669 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
we could...

apportion senators based on population, not 2 per state.

require each state to apportion the EC voters according to the popular vote in their state. ie, Hilary won 55%, give her 55% of that state's EC votes. Some states do this now, most do not. Of course, that's a state decision, not a federal.

by the way, I assume the OP and the "she won the popular vote by 3MM people!!" folks realize she didn't win a majority. and she only won by 2,868,686 people. About 2% of the total votes cast.

She won CA alone by 4,270,000 votes.
She carried the 5 NY boroughs by 1,670,000 votes, but barely won the rest of the state (by about 70K votes)
Hillary Clinton won the Democratic vote

case closed

Fake president trump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 02:27 PM
 
719 posts, read 380,669 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You are clueless. We are a Republic, and collection of states. It was never intended for individuals to elect Presidents. STATE ELECT PRESIDENTS.
You forgot the most critical part

The state's electoral vote tally should be directly proportional to its population

one person one vote

Hillary won Donald lost

fake President Trump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 02:29 PM
 
719 posts, read 380,669 times
Reputation: 173
I noticed every single one of my critics has dodged the main point of the thread

America went to war in order to bring democracy to all these other countries yet doesn't practice it with its own presidential election
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 02:35 PM
Status: "beware: jokes about biden are against the TOS" (set 3 days ago)
 
971 posts, read 177,716 times
Reputation: 598
Wow another america hating buffoon....go back to south Africa and get bent over by the skinnies bro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Status: "beware: jokes about biden are against the TOS" (set 3 days ago)
 
971 posts, read 177,716 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
I noticed every single one of my critics has dodged the main point of the thread

America went to war in order to bring democracy to all these other countries yet doesn't practice it with its own presidential election
When has america forced a direct democracy on anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Just over the horizon
8,264 posts, read 2,845,009 times
Reputation: 4477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
The majority will not consent to be ruled by the minority forever. In that, the OP is correct.


Weren't y'all supposed to be in Canada by now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 02:38 PM
Status: "beware: jokes about biden are against the TOS" (set 3 days ago)
 
971 posts, read 177,716 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
You forgot the most critical part

The state's electoral vote tally should be directly proportional to its population

one person one vote

Hillary won Donald lost

fake President Trump
According to you and your opinion means jack. That's not how it works cuz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 02:40 PM
 
2,637 posts, read 897,419 times
Reputation: 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Trump will get millions more votes this time. Before he was an unknown quantity. Now we have seen all the things he's accomplished in less than one term. Only people who are deranged won't vote for him.


Demand voter ID!
Trump's approval rating is around 43%, the same it has been for two years. The people who disliked him in 2016 have seen that he is just as bad, or worse, as they feared. I don't see him getting many more votes, maybe fewer. I don't see him winning any additional states.

But I predict he will be re-elected by winning the same states he did last time. He might lose Michigan, Pennsylvania or Florida, but probably not all three. So once again, we will have a president who loses the popular vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top