U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-19-2019, 07:12 AM
 
2,451 posts, read 1,229,410 times
Reputation: 2465

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Why would we? Most of us understand that we can question the tactics of Israel and that doesn't make us anti-semitic. Just like most of us understand that we can articulate things that are wrong with the USA (Greatest nation on earth) and it doesn't make us unpatriotic.

Most Jews, just like most thinking Americans don't fall for the "if you say this, it means you believe that" rhetoric of the far-out Trump base.

So the answer is no. We'd rather support a party who can be critical of self, rather than support a party who calls people who march for complete annihilation of our existance "fine people". Pretty easy choice.
I have no problem with critics of Israel.
BDS, which the squad supports, is calling for anihilation of the Jewish state clear and simple.
https://twitter.com/aipac/status/114...085057?lang=en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2019, 07:21 AM
 
2,019 posts, read 510,820 times
Reputation: 1815
The Republican party has got it's own problems to think about....

Another one of Trump's "very fine people" at it again....

White Nationalist Arrested For Threatening To Attack Jewish Center In Ohio, Police Say

Quote:
Reardon is an avowed anti-Semite and white nationalist and attended the deadly "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017, according to WYTV.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-white...ry?id=65040200

Last edited by Eli34; 08-19-2019 at 07:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 07:28 AM
 
16,834 posts, read 4,420,594 times
Reputation: 11739
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
My God, this is the craziest statement I have ever read!

The democrats have perfected this to an art form. That is ALL they do. They have been doing it with Trump since day 1. They do it with every republican running for office, and have for a very long time. The Republicans are just starting to catch up.

How partisan do you have to be to not see this?
Sounds like you consider the "left" to be what you read in the Media or on Twitter or the loudest voices of certain tiny groups......

I'm sure you realize that most of the "left" is the silent majority...as is true of many movements.

Most of us don't identify with the "super-PC" or other tendencies.....BUT, at the same time, we have the capacity to look beyond that and ask "which party is actually concerned about pollution, our children, We The People and larger outlooks. Which party is less "bought and sold" by whoever comes along with the $$.

I'd ask you.....how partial would YOU have to be to not see that the GOP is and has been in the pocket of the Kochs, Fossil Fuel industry, War machine and whichever current corporation or populist movement they can get free money or power from?

It's the old story of the Devil you know...or which is the worst. It shouldn't be that way - ideally - but it is. As it stands only one party has taken enough corporate money and infiltrated governments everywhere to make certain of "minority rule". That alone should trouble you...unless you believe in it.

When 5 million plus more Americans (2018) pull the lever for one Party over the Other...despite the minority party owning much of the voting system (suppression, etc.), that should tell you something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 07:33 AM
 
16,834 posts, read 4,420,594 times
Reputation: 11739
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I have no problem with critics of Israel.
BDS, which the squad supports, is calling for anihilation of the Jewish state clear and simple.
https://twitter.com/aipac/status/114...085057?lang=en
People are entitled to their opinions. BDS.....so what? That is, so what if a certain group promotes this or that? That's the push and pull of our government.

Many Americans, including on CD, push for breaking up the Union HERE? Do you have a problem with Rick Perry or the many other Americans who push for that?


I'd say the amount of people calling for Israeli boycotts is about equal to the number who don't buy Chinese goods....which is probably 2% or less. If it's in that realm, Israel business should surely be able to grow MUCH more than that in 6 months...so what's the big deal?

Answer: nothing...except trying to use it for political points.

I would never boycott much of anything (well, maybe blood diamonds and stuff I don't need) except on a relatively local basis (like the bus boycotts the black folk of the South did). There has to be an end game to such boycotts or they are in vain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Northern NJ/Amagansett, NY
11,362 posts, read 10,377,799 times
Reputation: 7998
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Sounds like you consider the "left" to be what you read in the Media or on Twitter or the loudest voices of certain tiny groups......

I'm sure you realize that most of the "left" is the silent majority...as is true of many movements.

Most of us don't identify with the "super-PC" or other tendencies.....BUT, at the same time, we have the capacity to look beyond that and ask "which party is actually concerned about pollution, our children, We The People and larger outlooks. Which party is less "bought and sold" by whoever comes along with the $$.

I'd ask you.....how partial would YOU have to be to not see that the GOP is and has been in the pocket of the Kochs, Fossil Fuel industry, War machine and whichever current corporation or populist movement they can get free money or power from?

It's the old story of the Devil you know...or which is the worst. It shouldn't be that way - ideally - but it is. As it stands only one party has taken enough corporate money and infiltrated governments everywhere to make certain of "minority rule". That alone should trouble you...unless you believe in it.

When 5 million plus more Americans (2018) pull the lever for one Party over the Other...despite the minority party owning much of the voting system (suppression, etc.), that should tell you something.
About as partial as I would have to be, to not see that both parties are equally beholden to their donors.

But since I am objective, I do see it as it pertains to the Republican Party, AND the Democratic Party.

It seems to me, on many issues, that many of the partially objective Democrats revel in the argument that, yeah, we do it, but the Republicans do it more.

...but you rarely see them moaning about their own party doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 07:49 AM
 
16,834 posts, read 4,420,594 times
Reputation: 11739
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
About as partial as I would have to be, to not see that both parties are equally beholden to their donors.

But since I am objective, I do see it as it pertains to the Republican Party, AND the Democratic Party.

It seems to me, on many issues, that many of the partially objective Democrats revel in the argument that, yeah, we do it, but the Republicans do it more.

...but you rarely see them moaning about their own party doing it.
If we accept that as fact...and I don't quite do......but, to concede the point.....


Is there a difference between a group that is "bought" by the more pollution and more disease and more deaths corporations and those bought by the groups more concerned?

Not even a need to ask....progress, efficiency, cleanliness and productivity are the forces which push the world forward.

Therefore, even if one accept your premise (and I did note it's a shame we have winner take all and only 2 parties), there is a vast difference for many. Most, in fact.

You seem to buy into the wrapping without concern of what is inside the box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Northern NJ/Amagansett, NY
11,362 posts, read 10,377,799 times
Reputation: 7998
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
If we accept that as fact...and I don't quite do......but, to concede the point.....


Is there a difference between a group that is "bought" by the more pollution and more disease and more deaths corporations and those bought by the groups more concerned?

Not even a need to ask....progress, efficiency, cleanliness and productivity are the forces which push the world forward.

Therefore, even if one accept your premise (and I did note it's a shame we have winner take all and only 2 parties), there is a vast difference for many. Most, in fact.

You seem to buy into the wrapping without concern of what is inside the box.
OK. What about all the financial institutions the Democratic Party (and yes, the Republican Party too) is beholden to? How many Goldman Sachs employees infiltrate their ranks?

You don't think that THEY are heavily invested in companies that pollute? It is not like we are talking about 6 degrees of separation here. Just 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
7,046 posts, read 3,494,373 times
Reputation: 3009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You say they are “Uncle Toms”. I say they wandered off the plantation.

You really believe those I mentioned only have their beliefs because of money? Seriously? They all were espousing those beliefs BEFORE they started making money.

Is it really that hard to believe that others view the world differently than you do? I know many, many Jews, myself included, who are conservative, yet don't make a penny from our conservatism. How do you explain us all away?
The irony of you calling someone myopic when you believe 90% of a voting bloc is living on a plantation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 08:34 AM
 
Location: 500 miles from home
30,552 posts, read 16,939,890 times
Reputation: 22945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
The Republican party has got it's own problems to think about....

Another one of Trump's "very fine people" at it again....

White Nationalist Arrested For Threatening To Attack Jewish Center In Ohio, Police Say



https://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-white...ry?id=65040200
Yeah. White Nationalist shooting up a synagogue is not a problem but boycott, divestment, and sanctions are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 08:41 AM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
14,071 posts, read 8,822,370 times
Reputation: 20492
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
People are entitled to their opinions. BDS.....so what? That is, so what if a certain group promotes this or that? That's the push and pull of our government............
You mean like KKK? Black Lives Matter? Antifa? White supremacy? That kind of "promote this and that"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top