U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 09:37 AM

4,050 posts, read 815,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
No, no, no, it isn't anti-Semitic. It's a 'trope.' Besides, everyone knows most Jews don't have time to run businesses with cheap, illegal labor because they're too busy running the world.
You have to be careful. Some of these posters won't understand that you're being sarcastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
No, no, no, it isn't anti-Semitic. It's a 'trope.' Besides, everyone knows most Jews don't have time to run businesses with cheap, illegal labor because they're too busy running the world.
Jazz....are you Jewish? I'm only asking because you don't LOOK Jewish.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:43 AM

2,019 posts, read 510,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Do you realize that what you just said is imbibed with antisemitism? Most Jews are business owners? Hardly! They love them their cheap, illegal labor? Yup....those Jews sure like to hire cheap, I guess.

I'm Jewish - and appalled by what I see going on in the D Party today. The reason that Jews are (mostly) Democrat is that they like to defend whomever they see as the "underdog" - and these days those are Muslims/Palestinians, illegal aliens, and blacks - because they think the root of all evil is inequality. (That's also why you will see them diminish the traits that lead to success - such as discipline, motivation, intelligence, the willingness to make sacrifices, etc.)

And it doesn't matter if these "underdogs" are even somewhat at fault in any way; Dems will rally to their cause. That's also why you see them shrug off (or even defend) anti-Semites like Omar and Tlaib. They recognize that Jews, as a whole, have succeeded above the average, and thus they need no defense.
Democrats think everyone should have a shot at success. No race or religion is superior to another. Creating policy that reduces barriers to success for the disadvantaged is not the same as putting barriers up against the advantaged. Also, the areas of the country that are most successful also tend to be Democratic. So that goes against your theory that "Democrats want to diminish traits that lead to success", when the real world shows the opposite.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Democrats think everyone should have a shot at success. No race or religion is superior to another. Creating policy that reduces barriers to success for the disadvantaged is not the same as putting barriers up against the advantaged. Also, the areas of the country that are most successful also tend to be Democratic. So that goes against your theory that "Democrats want to diminish traits that lead to success", when the real world shows the opposite.
No, you don't understand what I meant. They don't want to diminish the traits themselves. They diminish the fact that these traits, when a person has them, plays a big role in his success. They do not like to give individual credit, because then the converse is true: if a person gets credit for making wise decisions (or being in possession of good traits) in relation to his being successful, then a person would have to be blamed, at least to some degree, for bad decisions or poor personal traits leading to less success. Can't have it both ways.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:55 AM

11,364 posts, read 10,377,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I seriously doubt that the Jewish community will start supporting the Republicans as most of them are business owners and they love their cheap, illegal labor of which the Democrats are fighting for them to keep. Any Jewish person in here want to refute that or any other reasons why they support the Democrats instead? I am aware that not all Jewish people support the Democrats though.
You are a little behind the times. By about 100 years or so.

My paternal great grandfather was a fishmonger on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. My maternal great grandfather lived in Newark NJ and owned a trucking company out of Atlantic City NJ. His company did particularly well during prohibition, wink, wink.

But those were different times. Most Jews from my grandparent’s time, on, pursued higher education and advanced degrees.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:56 AM

2,728 posts, read 1,025,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Through out history, there seems to be a high percentage of Jewish people voting for the Democratic Party.

My family is split up by many Republican Jews and some liberal Jewish people.

My direct family members always voted for a Conservative.

Many Jewish people I spoke with in the past were democrats, but now I have seen a change. Some seem to be afraid to admit their change of hearts but even on TV, I have seen Democratic Party members (Jewish) who no longer can stand behind Schumer, Pelosi, and the squad and their hate.

Maybe we have to thank the squad for showing what the Democratic Party is about and I* believe from what I have been hearing lately, that more Jews will vote for Trump. Maybe not all will do so because they agree with everything, but many can no longer stand behind the Democratic Party that is overflowing of Anti-Semitism.
I’ll vote Democrat in the presidential election, but if Omar or Tlaib were in my district I’d likely vote for the Republican in a congressional election.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:58 AM

13,700 posts, read 4,128,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yeah. White Nationalist shooting up a synagogue is not a problem but boycott, divestment, and sanctions are.
You are comparing apples and oranges. A few crazy, violent anti-Semitic white nationalist individuals are a problem for the "white nationalist" movement to the degree it exists. It's not a problem for the Republican party. Divestment, sanctions, anti-Semitic Congressmembers etc is a problem for the Democrat party, and also Islam.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:05 AM

2,724 posts, read 913,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
And why would so many Jews be against such a pro-Jewish and pro-Israel President? Because he's skeptical of open borders and diversity max.
Pro-Israel? Maybe. Pro-Jew? No way; Trump is as anti-Semitic as they come. That's why White Nationalists love him..

Old 08-19-2019, 10:07 AM

1,669 posts, read 355,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
If only that were true. It was once but I don't think that statement is true today.
Identity politics, White guilt, etc.

No, the Dems think only select groups should have a shot at success today.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:09 AM

11,364 posts, read 10,377,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Pro-Israel? Maybe. Pro-Jew? No way; Trump is as anti-Semitic as they come. That's why White Nationalists love him..
Yes. He hates Ivanka and all of his Jewish grandchildren. You can just see it in the way he talks about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or