U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-22-2019, 12:45 PM
 
13,699 posts, read 4,128,116 times
Reputation: 4065

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I'm hoping most Jewish-Americans can see through Trump's idiocy and unequivocal support of those white supremacists who chanted "Jews won't replace us".

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...sville/536928/
I'm hope most all Americans can see through name calling, labeling, lies and idiocy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2019, 12:47 PM
Status: "Keep your chin up." (set 3 days ago)
 
9,004 posts, read 11,016,346 times
Reputation: 13089
This thread belongs w/ the one about African Americans supporting T in droves. Not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
10,276 posts, read 6,785,388 times
Reputation: 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I heard an interesting viewpoint on the radio today.

An American Jew said that American Jews are liberal because they have had it so easy. He said there are few liberal Jews in Israel, because they have to fight for everything they have.
Depends on what you consider "liberal" - it could be something different in Israel than it is in the USA.

Politically, Israel is very fractured, with lots of different parties that it takes a coalition to form a government, and that makes for some very strange bedfellows. That also translates into widely different views.

On one hand, you have universal health care in Israel, which is widely accepted. So are LGBT people serving in the military, no questions at all. And on the other hand, you have some very traditional Orthodox communities which have very traditional ideas about gender - to the point in which there have been conflict over women sitting in what seat in buses serving Haredi communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 01:00 PM
 
377 posts, read 137,761 times
Reputation: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I heard an interesting viewpoint on the radio today.

An American Jew said that American Jews are liberal because they have had it so easy. He said there are few liberal Jews in Israel, because they have to fight for everything they have.

Their are plenty of liberal Jews in Israel. The country is basically Socialist and I doubt many Israel citizens would want to change that. The caller seems to have a weak grasp of a lot of the issues at hand here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Seattle
994 posts, read 367,996 times
Reputation: 1118
One of my dearest friends who lives down in Portland is Jewish. We talk politics all the time. One thing I can tell you is he is very disgusted at the words that come out of Ilhan Omar and ilk and he added "if this is the new face of the Democrat Party, they've lost me."


Will he flip to being a Trump supporter? Nope! I told him "welcome to the Libertarian Party" and he laughed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 01:11 PM
 
377 posts, read 137,761 times
Reputation: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
One of my dearest friends who lives down in Portland is Jewish. We talk politics all the time. One thing I can tell you is he is very disgusted at the words that come out of Ilhan Omar and ilk and he added "if this is the new face of the Democrat Party, they've lost me."


Will he flip to being a Trump supporter? Nope! I told him "welcome to the Libertarian Party" and he laughed.

I doubt the Libertarian Party will be up for sending billions of dollars of aid a year to Israel lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 02:13 PM
 
4,050 posts, read 815,700 times
Reputation: 2870
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Rachel (here) must not work at your place of business....

But, yes, the Trump strategy - put forth by his cult here and elsewhere - is to be SO BAD that people think it's a joke and that it is actually good. That is Reality TV and it fools those with less intelligence and experience and education....but that isn't us (Jews).....

I'm loving it. I don't care what Trump says because whatever he says and thinks is likely the complete opposite of good...or truth. But I can feel the very last Jewish holdouts thinking......"hmmmmm"....

80% against Trump in 2020. That's my take. It is based on the trend from 2016 and 2018 AND the basic fact, something which reasonable people agree upon, that once one has a track record (Trump) , it is easier to judge him then when he was just an unknown quantity (in politics).....

What IS troubling is the "nationalists" who start so many "jew" threads on here when Jews are just a tiny voting block and really don't matter much because they are mostly in 3 states.....that in itself shows they are "jew baiting".

It would be much more politically important to discuss the "hillbilly vote" which is what will swing the election one way or another - that is PA and MI and WI (although not all hillbillies, of course, the vote we are discussing is mostly of those who moved up there for jobs from further South)....
The arrogance that comes from liberals such as yourself is such a turn-off. You just said that you have more intelligence, more education, and more experience than Jews who vote for the Republican - because apparently THOSE Jews are just dumb, inexperienced, and uneducated.

And why do you keep saying "us" when referring to Jews? You said your parents sent you to a Christian boarding school where you sang Christian songs at Mass every Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
10,276 posts, read 6,785,388 times
Reputation: 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Oye. Another liberal. I'm getting exhausted fighting all you people who think you're so morally superior to me because you're a liberal.

Did you not hear that I've criticized TomLennox for his "Jewish power brokers" stuff? I just told you I did - and you say I didn't. I also criticized some other conservative - I think he's a conservative, not sure - for defending some students doing Nazi salutes.

As far as Omar and Tlaib, I look beyond the immediate. True that there are some very bigoted and sick individuals on the extremes (the synagogue shooter was angry at Trump for being too supportive to Jews), but Omar and Tlaib are institutionalizing anti-Semitism at the very top levels of government. They are both CLEARLY anti-Semitic, and the Democrats - and liberal Jews - are finding ways to excuse that.

So again, the "folks" on my side are sicko individuals on the fringes. The "folks" on your side are anti-Semitic Congresswomen, whom your side refuses to censure. To the contrary, they honored at least one of them by putting her anti-Semitic you-know-what on the House Foreign Relations Committee, where she can continue to work against Israel and for Palestinians.
Nah. You're the one who acts holier than thou when it comes to issues. I'm just pointing out inconsistencies that trip you up. Subtlety is not your forte.

How in the world are two freshmen Congresspersons "institutionalizing anti-Semitism at the very top levels of government?" They're just 2 persons. They're hardly in the way to cut off Israel or destroy it, even by the standards of your exaggerated rhetoric.

And FYI - Omar has gotten a lot of grief from the Democratic leadership and in the ranks. She also gets regular death threats, too. As does Talib and AOC, another one of your favorite rightwing boogeywomen.

It's not 1948, 1967 or even 1973 anymore. Israel ain't the scrawny little David in the Middle East no more. It's now grown to be a muscled, fit body builder who has outlasted its foes and neighbors, armed to the teeth and ready to kick you-know-what. Look at Egypt, Syria, and Lebanon and tell us if these countries are in any way in the position to invade and wipe out Israel off the face of the earth, to use your apocalypic language. They've got their own internal problems, to say the least. Even the Palestinians have lost a lot of their clout and influence internationally, too. The Saudis and the Iranians have their own fish to fry as well.

And if it wants to hold itself up as a shining beacon of civilization and democracy, Israel is not above criticism - your hair-trigger, knee-jerk tendency to brook any criticism of Israel as anti-Semitism notwithstanding.

You want real security for Israel? Simple. Treat the Palestinians better. Better to attract bees with honey than vinegar. Continue with this and you'll always have a security problem.

Anyway, good luck with your Jexodus efforts. Let us know when you've gone beyond Sheldon Adelson, Michael Savage, and Stephen Miller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 06:51 PM
 
16,872 posts, read 4,420,594 times
Reputation: 11748
Wow, you can watch the 538 Negatives for the POTUS go up and up...even the positives went down now!

A full 30% more Americans now disapprove!

I'd like to shout out my thanks to all those above who keep turning more and more people off to decency......you are all doing your little bit too bring decent and civil Americans around.

41.5 Approval
54 Disapprove

That's the highest its been in a while....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 08:02 PM
 
335 posts, read 108,262 times
Reputation: 237
I don't see it. Of course, there are posters that claim the Democrats are anti-Semitic, however right-wing terrorism has grown in the country, and Jews are big targets for this group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top