U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2019, 07:06 PM

12,494 posts, read 7,116,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Because we want a plan for healthcare access up to and including universal healthcare.
Because we want to protect the environment and combat global warming.
Because we value public education.
Because we are concerned about the USA's standing on the global diplomatic stage.
Because we want autonomy over our own bodies.
Because we are also women, gay, trans, poor, elderly, disabled, and/or sick or have friends and family who fit into those categories.

Sort of like why people of all faiths support the Democrats.

Why on earth wouldn't we support the Democrats simply because we're Jewish?
You are entitled to your opinions, but, you do not speak for me or Jews. How arrogant to assume you do.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 08-24-2019 at 07:18 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 07:11 PM

8,043 posts, read 12,486,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I heard an interesting viewpoint on the radio today.

An American Jew said that American Jews are liberal because they have had it so easy. He said there are few liberal Jews in Israel, because they have to fight for everything they have.
Very true!! Most white people I know, Jewish or otherwise in the liberal elite, are from sheltered, spoiled middle class backgrounds. The black Democrats and the illegal aliens are their tools basically. The typical white liberal doesn't have any family members or friends who never went to college, think being a cashier or a waitress if beneath them, looks down on blue collar jobs like manufacturing and coal mining and natural gas drilling, etc and looks down on anyone who shops at Walmart or Dollar General or drives a pickup truck or dresses in anything less than uggs boots and North Face jackets.

Here in the real America that I know, people work for what they have. And when these elite liberals' next generation is getting these useless college degrees in philosophy or whatever, it makes them bitter that people in the petrochemical plants here are making upwards of $40 an hour with no student loan debt. Most white liberals also don't have any black or Hispanic friends and for them BLM is a pet cause like saving the whales in Japan.

I see illegal aliens as invaders being used as tools, black Democrats are tools, etc but white liberals are the true enemies.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:30 PM

12,184 posts, read 16,950,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Most Jews are middle class or above? Do you realize that Obamacare and socialized medicine hurts people like you? Most Jews will be worse off with universal healthcare. You will see your premiums rise while you coverage decreases, just to have all this redistributed to others. This would be Obamacare on steroids.

Aren't there still working class Jews in industries like coal mining, manufacturing, natural gas drilling, etc? Are their concerns not valid? Global warming is not proven IMHO btw and not worth sacrificing American jobs for.

So why do you support unfair trade agreements that put other countries over us if you are a patriotic and loyal American? So you think our "global standing" is worth sacrificing US jobs and redistributing our money to the Third World?
When I graduated from college, I was denied health insurance due to minor preexisting conditions. 4 months later, I was diagnosed with stage IV cancer. While I was able to find a job that offered health insurance just in time, I was so in debt with such high bills with "good" insurance that I feared homelessness and couldn't fill my prescriptions. I just hit 8 years of remission, but that's 8 years of additional health complications stemming from cancer that start what I can look forward to for the next (hopefully) 60+ years of being denied health insurance due to preexisting conditions.

Where is the Republican plan?

Even though I'm middle class now, I would be wiped out in weeks if I was to relapse without health coverage. Charity assistance is painfully little - I know because I sit on the board for one, volunteer for several more, and am a speaker at charity events, including for one of the best cancer centers in the world. And nothing I ever learned in my Jewish education taught me that I should only advocate things that help me personally at the detriment of others.

Climate change is supported by most scientists in the field. And beyond that, clean air and clean water, maintaining forest health, and protecting the environment should be bipartisan issues. It's shocking that they don't seem to be.

I don't think buddying up with Russia or North Korea is a good look, do you? It actually makes trying to buy Greenland - a country that is not for sale - seem relatively sane by comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You have your opinion and I have mine. we may both jewish, but you do not speak for me or other Jews. How arrogant for you to assume you do.
The question was why would Jews vote for Democrats. I explained why the vast majority of American Jews vote for Democrats. I never claimed to speak for you. I can't begin to imagine what goes through the mind of someone who makes excuses for Trump's antisemitic comments, so I wouldn't begin to think I could speak for them.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:39 PM

12,494 posts, read 7,116,578 times
Quote:
I can't begin to imagine what goes through the mind of someone who makes excuses for Trump's antisemitic comments, so I wouldn't begin to think I could speak for them.
I don't think trump is anti-Semitic, nor have I heard him make any anti-Semitic comments. again, you assume to interpret your opinions as my opinions. they are not. stop it, charolastra. you speak for yourself.....not anyone else.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:41 PM

3,378 posts, read 1,804,078 times
Quote:
Because we want a plan for healthcare access up to and including universal healthcare.
Because we want to protect the environment and combat global warming.
Because we value public education.
Because we are concerned about the USA's standing on the global diplomatic stage.
Because we want autonomy over our own bodies.
Because we are also women, gay, trans, poor, elderly, disabled, and/or sick or have friends and family who fit into those categories.

Sort of like why people of all faiths support the Democrats.

Why on earth wouldn't we support the Democrats simply because we're Jewish?
Great post

Old 08-24-2019, 07:49 PM

4,047 posts, read 814,683 times
Quote:
I don't think trump is anti-Semitic, nor have I heard him make any anti-Semitic comments. again, you assume to speak for me. you do not. stop it, charolastra. you speak for yourself.....not anyone else.
I agree with you, Texas. I don't think he's antisemitic, either. What's worse to me is that the Democrats put an antisemitic, anti-Israel, BDS supporter on the House Foreign Affairs Committee - and let her question Jewish witness (showing complete disdain) two days after her antisemitic remarks about Jews bribing Congress.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:52 PM

144 posts, read 61,596 times
I am not happy with the choices we have. I have always considered myself to be socially liberal. However, I can't stomach some of these candidates on the left. I have no idea what the governor of California is thinking when he prioritizes "virtue signalling" over the citizens of California and passes ridiculous measures. I hate the race baiting, name calling, and how it seems things are done by the politicians on the left just to spite Trump at the expense of the American people. I hate that the media is "the hand that sows discord" among us and is only interested in reporting the news as if it was reality TV. I also can't stomach the way Trump acts on twitter. It's an embarrassment. The two candidates I like for Democrat have no chance of ever getting voted.

I honestly am at a loss. I don't know what to do / who to vote and I don't know what our society will look like in 5 - 10 years.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:54 PM

7,802 posts, read 2,780,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Very true!! Most white people I know, Jewish or otherwise in the liberal elite, are from sheltered, spoiled middle class backgrounds. The black Democrats and the illegal aliens are their tools basically. The typical white liberal doesn't have any family members or friends who never went to college, think being a cashier or a waitress if beneath them, looks down on blue collar jobs like manufacturing and coal mining and natural gas drilling, etc and looks down on anyone who shops at Walmart or Dollar General or drives a pickup truck or dresses in anything less than uggs boots and North Face jackets.

Here in the real America that I know, people work for what they have. And when these elite liberals' next generation is getting these useless college degrees in philosophy or whatever, it makes them bitter that people in the petrochemical plants here are making upwards of $40 an hour with no student loan debt. Most white liberals also don't have any black or Hispanic friends and for them BLM is a pet cause like saving the whales in Japan.

I see illegal aliens as invaders being used as tools, black Democrats are tools, etc but white liberals are the true enemies.
You need to get out. You live in a bubble.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:02 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,409,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
This is one of the many reasons he will never get a lot of support:

What I like. There will be video of Trump being Trump, insulting to feel big. Then his supporters chime in, Yea thats what he said, but thats not what he meant. No, Trumps an azzhat, and will continue to be.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:48 PM

21,529 posts, read 12,155,726 times
Quote:
I don't think trump is anti-Semitic, nor have I heard him make any anti-Semitic comments. again, you assume to interpret your opinions as my opinions. they are not. stop it, charolastra. you speak for yourself.....not anyone else.
If you've never heard/seen Trump's antisemitic statements, it's because you are choosing to be willfully blind to them. Several examples have been posted in this very thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or