Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 12:04 AM

265 posts, read 258,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
... but I think secular, progressive Jews are the only group to vote against their self-interests.
And a very few would have been great kapos in the camps.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:33 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,546 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Except the Republican Party didn't cave to Steve King. The Democrats ARE caving to the anti-Semitic Squad. Even Pelosi, a seasoned politician, was afraid to criticize Omar for her remarks about Jewish money buying power.
What Steve King said is actually racist.

What Omar/Talib said isnt anti semitic.

On your best day, all you can say is that it can be perceived as a trope. To which anyone with a brain would respond that there is absolutely an Israel Lobby that has access to congress.We literally have congressmen traveling to Israel right now with officials from the Largest PACs in that lobby.

Talking about the Israeli Lobby shouldnt be any more political than talking about Big Pharma, or Coal, Tech, the Military/Weapons Firms.

But people want to make this racial because its so easy to blur the lines here.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:34 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,816,953 times
Quote:
Yes. Nancy Pelosi defended Omar's antisemitic trope about Jews buying off Congress. What did you think her nasty remark about "it's all about the Benjamin's" referred to? She was advancing the antisemitic idea that Jews control government with their all-powerful money. Look up the Rothschilds in case you're not familiar. It's an antisemitic attitude that has been tossed around for hundreds of years.
No she didn't. Typical of right-wing propagandists, you intentionally twist words of Democrats to support your false narratives. Fox News is famous for this, perhaps you are a fan.

Here's what Pelosi said in her own words:

"I don't think that the congresswoman perhaps appreciates the full weight of how it was heard by other people, although I don't believe it was intended in an anti-Semitic way," Pelosi told reporters at the Capitol. "But the fact is, if that's how it was interpreted, we have to remove all doubt."
Source: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...t-anti-semitic

Got that? She didn't defend the trope as you claim. She said she'd reserve judgement on whether Omar is antisemitic for saying it. She is tacitly admitting it's antisemitic trope, not defending it, and at the same time saying Omar was wrong for saying it. So just stop with the false narratives, please.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:15 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
No she didn't. Typical of right-wing propagandists, you intentionally twist words of Democrats to support your false narratives. Fox News is famous for this, perhaps you are a fan.

"I don't think that the congresswoman perhaps appreciates the full weight of how it was heard by other people, although I don't believe it was intended in an anti-Semitic way," Pelosi told reporters at the Capitol. "But the fact is, if that's how it was interpreted, we have to remove all doubt."

Got that? She didn't defend the trope as you claim. She said she'd reserve judgement on whether Omar is antisemitic for saying it. She is tacitly admitting it's antisemitic trope, not defending it, and at the same time saying Omar was wrong for saying it. So just stop with the false narratives, please.
It takes the words 'I hate Jews' for some people to recognize anti-Semitism. OTOH, many of those same people, maybe not you, have no problem with:

Support stricter immigration, support the wall, wear a sombrero --- xenophobic, racist, cultural appropriation.

Support a Christian baker who won't make a cake for a same sex marriage --- homophobic, bigot, hater.

Oppose federal funding for Planned Parenthood or liberalized abortion laws or don't automatically believe allegations of sexual assault --- misogynist woman hater.

Criticize Obama; use the words posse, lynch, noose, guerilla, articulate; the list can go on --- racist

White teen with a smirk from a Catholic school --- White privileged bigot.

Favor stricter immigration from certain Muslim countries or say anything critical of Islam --- Islamophobic.

Use negative stereotyped images or words about Jews is a 'trope' --- About poc or certain other groups it's a slur at best, anti-that group at worse.

Being white, particularly a white male --- racist oppressor.

Sure, a few people go overboard in finding any disagreement with Israeli policy anti-Israel/anti-Semitic, but get real, the overboard is standard procedure for most everyone else.

btw, I disagree with the decision to deny OmarTlaib visas.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:30 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,496,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post

Do you even hear yourself? You - a Jew - attacked me - another Jew - for pointing out Omar's antisemitism, calling me a right-wing propagandist! And that apology, or whatever it was, from Pelosi was weak indeed: saying that Omar didn't intend her remarks to come across as antisemitic. And then Pelosi, like you, went on the warpath against those criticizing Omar.

Stop attacking Jews for pointing out the antisemitism in the Democratic Party, please. It's especially bad when it comes from a fellow Jew. Omar (and Tlaib) partnered up with a horrifically antisemitic group to sponsor her trip to "Palestine." You are basically attempting to silence - and deligitimize - Jews who dare complain about antisemitic Democrat Congresspeople by calling them right-wing propagandists.

And to the OP who asked the question: you can see that there are going to be many liberal Jews who will not only stick with th Democratic Party in the face of rising antisemitism, but who will try to deligitimize Jews who point it. Still, the more moderate Democrats will leave the Party, and I've already seen it via a special election in an adjacent county. LIfelong Democrats voted for the Republican. And one of them passed out flyers on his behalf.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:38 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
I like his policies over those being peddled by the liberals. They've really gone off the deep end, putting illegal aliens in front of Americans.

(And don't get me started on what the liberals have done with an adjacent "sanctuary county." There are so many illegals there - estimates are about 30% of the population - who are so unskilled and uneducated that they can't afford to rent even a low-rent apartment. So the liberals have OK'd the conversion of SFH neighborhoods to high-density, allowing people to build additional "residences" in their backyards. Slum landlords are moving in, taking over formerly middle-class neighborhoods, and turning the place into a slum. But I digress....)
If you are concerned about illegal immigration what is your stance on the employers who specifically hire illegal immigrants like at the meat packing plants in Texas? Are you outraged that they have not been charged yet with any crimes?

Old 08-19-2019, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Yes. Nancy Pelosi defended Omar's antisemitic trope about Jews buying off Congress. What did you think her nasty remark about "it's all about the Benjamin's" referred to? She was advancing the antisemitic idea that Jews control government with their all-powerful money. Look up the Rothschilds in case you're not familiar. It's an antisemitic attitude that has been tossed around for hundreds of years.

And before you explain away that Omar wasn't referring to Jews, ask yourself if liberals would have been so quick to explain away bigoted comments about blacks, or Muslims, or gays. But Jews? Eh, who cares?
I haven’t seen you complain about Trump making anti Semitic comments, do those bother you as well? Like when he told Jewish conservatives “you aren’t going to support me because I don’t want your money”.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
What happened to Muslims in our own country? There was no Muslim ban. Most Muslim countries had no restrictions on them - just the one that breed terrorists.

And Israel banned two antisemtitic Congresswoman whose express purpose was to run an anti-Israel propaganda campaign, with the ultimate goal to help destroy Israel entirely. And besides, their itinerary said this was a delegation to Palestine. (Wherever that is.) If they wanted to visit Palestine, they should have gotten a visa from Palestine.
Breed terrorists? Do we breed white nationalist terrorists in this country?

Anyway the Muslim ban was inherently not about the places Terrorists come from because it did not include Saudi Arabia. And yes, it effected many Muslims from this country who couldn’t see family members.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
I like his policies over those being peddled by the liberals. They've really gone off the deep end, putting illegal aliens in front of Americans.

(And don't get me started on what the liberals have done with an adjacent "sanctuary county." There are so many illegals there - estimates are about 30% of the population - who are so unskilled and uneducated that they can't afford to rent even a low-rent apartment. So the liberals have OK'd the conversion of SFH neighborhoods to high-density, allowing people to build additional "residences" in their backyards. Slum landlords are moving in, taking over formerly middle-class neighborhoods, and turning the place into a slum. But I digress....)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
If you are concerned about illegal immigration what is your stance on the employers who specifically hire illegal immigrants like at the meat packing plants in Texas? Are you outraged that they have not been charged yet with any crimes?
If it can be proven that the employer knowingly hired illegals, yes....charged. At the same time, the illegals should be charged with falsifying government documents (social security), charged, and deported. Agree?

P.S. You skipped over my point about progressive liberals permitting backyard "dwelling units" can be built in formerly middle-class SFH neighborhoods so low-income illegals can have a place to live. Don't you agree that it is wrong to bring down a neighborhood, harming middle-class Americans, because illegals can't afford an apartment?

Old 08-19-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I haven’t seen you complain about Trump making anti Semitic comments, do those bother you as well? Like when he told Jewish conservatives “you aren’t going to support me because I don’t want your money”.
Yeah, I didn't like that, but he didn't say that as part of his effort to destroy Israwl. (Trump was my last choice among the Rs). I would rather hear it from someone who is for the Jewish people and the existence of Israel, rather than someone who is against Jews and advances antisemitic tropes with the intention of weakening, and ultimately, destroying Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.