U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:33 AM

19,760 posts, read 12,431,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
We are talking about warm water killing salmon....As a retired salmon fisherman I know a bit about this subject...Salmon are cold blooded so their bodies are always the same temperature as the water they are in....Optimum temperature for sockeye is 10C to 15C....The temperature of the Copper River is 29.5 degrees C today.

That's weather, not climate. Wait until winter- then it will be ice covered and things will be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:52 AM

9,436 posts, read 2,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Don't worry- CO2 induced AGW is a hoax, so there is no problem.

As I pointed out in another thread, if there was actual warming, there would be a corresponding increase in mean barometric pressure- the opposite is true.

Thus all the "revised" (faked) temp measurements are exposed, as they forgot to fake the barometric pressure readings as well.

Addtionally, if there was actually this increase in temp (which there is not), there would be an increase in the volume of the oceans and lakes (which has not occurred). We should have seen a 6ft rise in ocean levels with this supposed increase in temps. However, this has not happened. This rise, of course, is independent of any thawing of ice on land and is simply from an expansion of water by that presumed temp increase.

AGW defies the laws of physics and its flaws can be easily exposed by a cursory examination of those laws, which have not been suspended on earth.
I am worried as I have done a lot of research on the subject. Climate change is here already and we are seeing its affects. But you don't have to look if you don't want to. It's not a hoax, and sadly we're all going to realize that much sooner than later.

Old Today, 11:55 AM

22,245 posts, read 21,910,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I have no solution. I think we are beyond solutions. But I do see Trump's policies and people's consumption habits speeding up the process. Anything that is done is going to be too little too late, IMO.
You think the 2 1/2 years Trump has been in office has sped up climate change?

Old Today, 11:57 AM

8,910 posts, read 10,955,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I am worried as I have done a lot of research on the subject. Climate change is here already and we are seeing its affects. But you don't have to look if you don't want to. It's not a hoax, and sadly we're all going to realize that much sooner than later.
Right. You can say it isn't so even though it is so.

Old Today, 11:58 AM

31,004 posts, read 31,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comm08 View Post
that's literally impossible.
But it's literally true...Check for yourself.... https://waterdata.usgs.gov/sc/nwis/uv?site_no=021720508

Old Today, 12:01 PM

31,004 posts, read 31,939,634 times
Quote:
That's weather, not climate. Wait until winter- then it will be ice covered and things will be better.
Weather in the river??? I suppose now you'll tell me sockeye will begin to spawn in the winter?...It doesn't work that way.

Old Today, 12:05 PM

5,005 posts, read 2,035,182 times
Quote:
But it's literally true...Check for yourself.... https://waterdata.usgs.gov/sc/nwis/uv?site_no=021720508
That's Cooper River... in South Carolina.

Old Today, 12:05 PM

9,436 posts, read 2,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You think the 2 1/2 years Trump has been in office has sped up climate change?
I didn't say that. I think his policies are helping to contribute though. In my opinion, we're already doomed. But what bothers me about Trump is he won't even admit there is a problem. Not convenient to big oil and other corporations who encourage all his deregulation. Of course, I know we're not the only country in the world that is guilty.

Old Today, 12:10 PM

5,278 posts, read 3,057,281 times
Quote:
Don't worry- CO2 induced AGW is a hoax, so there is no problem.

As I pointed out in another thread, if there was actual warming, there would be a corresponding increase in mean barometric pressure- the opposite is true.

Thus all the "revised" (faked) temp measurements are exposed, as they forgot to fake the barometric pressure readings as well.

Addtionally, if there was actually this increase in temp (which there is not), there would be an increase in the volume of the oceans and lakes (which has not occurred). We should have seen a 6ft rise in ocean levels with this supposed increase in temps. However, this has not happened. This rise, of course, is independent of any thawing of ice on land and is simply from an expansion of water by that presumed temp increase.

AGW defies the laws of physics and its flaws can be easily exposed by a cursory examination of those laws, which have not been suspended on earth.
"As I pointed out in another thread, if there was actual warming, there would be a corresponding increase in mean barometric pressure- the opposite is true. "

Not a scientist, definitely not a climate scientist. But that's a bad use of Gay-Lussac's law. One of the three main (IMO) gas laws. Gay-Lussac's law says :

the pressure of a given mass of gas varies directly with the absolute temperature of the gas,

Oh no, your correspondent is right !?!? But wait there's more ...

when the volume is kept constant.

Ah.

The volume of the Earth's atmosphere is absolutely not constant. It expands and contracts on daily basis due to the Sun's heating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay-Lussac%27s_law

https://www.space.com/6229-earth-atm...y-thought.html

Addtionally, if there was actually this increase in temp (which there is not), there would be an increase in the volume of the oceans and lakes (which has not occurred). We should have seen a 6ft rise in ocean levels with this supposed increase in temps.

The lakes part is silly, they are normally not deep enough to see a rise due to thermal expansion and their level is typically determined by the landscape. But given that the Earth has warmed by about 1°C, the number for the oceans is about right:

In the recent geological past, changes in land ice and thermal expansion from increased temperatures are the dominant reasons of sea level rise. The last time the Earth was 2 °C (3.6 °F) warmer than pre-industrial temperatures, sea levels were at least 5 metres (16 ft) higher than now https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_level_rise

What our friend forgot is that the oceans have not warmed 1°C over their full depths yet. Even if the warming would stop now, we will see this 6ft sea level rise over the coming millennia. (I guess that was not the message he (likely) wanted to send.)

Up to now we "only" had:

Since at least the start of the 20th century, the average global sea level has been rising. Between 1900 and 2016, the sea level rose by 16–21 cm (6.3–8.3 in) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_level_rise

Last edited by Chicano3000X; Today at 01:28 PM..

Old Today, 12:11 PM

13,220 posts, read 4,557,872 times
Quote:
Wait! You're talking about the Cooper River in South Carolina? WTF??? There are no Salmon there! I thought you were talking about the COPPER river in Alaska. It would be impossible for that to be 85F. As for the Cooper River, those temps are about normal for this time of the year historically give take a degree or two. What was your point you were trying to make by posting about THAT river in the southern US?

Edit:
I couldn't find the temps for the Copper River but I found this:

Quote:
In truth, Alaska doesn't have any rivers with water temperatures warmer than 50 degrees, and anyone who ventures onto a river without adequate paddling outerwear, rain gear, wet suits or drysuits is asking for trouble—or, at the very least, discomfort.
https://www.alaska.org/float-trips/warm-water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or