U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM
 
Location: USA
18,746 posts, read 9,179,836 times
Reputation: 14099

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
As should be apparent by now -- when pressed for details and solutions -- the global warming people have nothing.
Yes the do have something. More taxes, fees, and punishment for the very energy we need to live. More costs on ALL products and services to destroy our standard of living. Yet, they don't make any changes themselves except to buy a Tesla, or Volt to virtue signal. What energy is used to make those, and how about the toxic batteries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Northern NJ/Amagansett, NY
11,243 posts, read 10,310,602 times
Reputation: 7922
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Now we're talkin'!

Nova Lox on a sesame bagel with cream cheese, onion and tomato!!!
Thatís the best!

I know I am in the minority on this, but I like to add a few capers to it.

...but you have to add them to the cream cheese, otherwise they fall off whenever you take a bite out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM
 
52,394 posts, read 42,142,715 times
Reputation: 32713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Here is a much better source that talks about the issue. I thought that the "record numbers" were particularily interesting.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/rura...-sound-region/

They have record numbers and CNN is handwringing over potential population crash due to <1% mortality from the even.

I'd recommend people reading both articles and paying attention to which one is more factual and professionally written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM
 
3,069 posts, read 1,242,777 times
Reputation: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Here is a much better source that talks about the issue. I thought that the "record numbers" were particularily interesting.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/rura...-sound-region/

They have record numbers and CNN is handwringing over potential population crash due to <1% mortality from the even.

I'd recommend people reading both articles and paying attention to which one is more factual and professionally written.
I got this from a NPR article

CARROLL: There's 1.4 million salmon that came in this river, and we - you know, we might have seen thousands die off, but I'm not worried about the future of this species.

MACARTHUR: She says salmon are resilient, but it's their resilience that alarms another scientist on the trip, UAF professor Peter Westley.

WESTLEY: They're really tough. And so if salmon are dying, it points to something fairly serious.

MACARTHUR: Despite the die-off, subsistence families like Lisa Bifelt's, who rely on a certain amount of summer chum to put away for winter, have not reported difficulty meeting their harvest schools, and king salmon, which are larger, have not been reported dead.

I also suspect these types of mass deaths probably occur historically for a variety of reasons. I am not saying warming waters may not have played a part. I am saying certain media rushes to blame long before there is any real study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM
 
19,754 posts, read 12,431,440 times
Reputation: 10921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I got this from a NPR article

CARROLL: There's 1.4 million salmon that came in this river, and we - you know, we might have seen thousands die off, but I'm not worried about the future of this species.

MACARTHUR: She says salmon are resilient, but it's their resilience that alarms another scientist on the trip, UAF professor Peter Westley.

WESTLEY: They're really tough. And so if salmon are dying, it points to something fairly serious.

MACARTHUR: Despite the die-off, subsistence families like Lisa Bifelt's, who rely on a certain amount of summer chum to put away for winter, have not reported difficulty meeting their harvest schools, and king salmon, which are larger, have not been reported dead.

I also suspect these types of mass deaths probably occur historically for a variety of reasons. I am not saying warming waters may not have played a part. I am saying certain media rushes to blame long before there is any real study.


Didn't you get the memo?


CO2 is now the cause of everything bad in the world. Examination of the causes of any event is now no longer needed- we know that CO2 causes everything, so there is no need to expend the effort.


Soon, all crimes will be attributed to CO2, so there will be no need for police investigations. They will just put CO2 on trial for every crime and sentence it as being a very naughty gas.


AGW is the suspension of science and a return to the middle ages in which one, and only one, thing causes all maladies in nature. Then it was witches- now it is CO2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM
 
52,394 posts, read 42,142,715 times
Reputation: 32713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I got this from a NPR article

CARROLL: There's 1.4 million salmon that came in this river, and we - you know, we might have seen thousands die off, but I'm not worried about the future of this species.

MACARTHUR: She says salmon are resilient, but it's their resilience that alarms another scientist on the trip, UAF professor Peter Westley.

WESTLEY: They're really tough. And so if salmon are dying, it points to something fairly serious.

MACARTHUR: Despite the die-off, subsistence families like Lisa Bifelt's, who rely on a certain amount of summer chum to put away for winter, have not reported difficulty meeting their harvest schools, and king salmon, which are larger, have not been reported dead.

I also suspect these types of mass deaths probably occur historically for a variety of reasons. I am not saying warming waters may not have played a part. I am saying certain media rushes to blame long before there is any real study.
Yeah, NPR generally does a pretty good job. Once in a while they muck it up or allow some one-side propaganda but nobody is perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM
 
9,421 posts, read 2,885,184 times
Reputation: 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Which would drastically reduce our standard of living and kill the economy. The climate changes naturally and drastically. What percentage is due to Man? What will the taxes, and restrictions do to reduce climate change? What if the natural climate change rises as it always does?
You can't eat or drink economy. Doesn't matter the cause. It's upon us and there is nothing that can be done as some people just don't want to hear about it or believe the science that confirms it. Politicians and corporations especially are so concerned about money. Well, you can't eat money. Microscopic marine algae, the bottom of the food chain is dying and you better believe it's going to affect every living creature. An inconvenient truth, but there it is. And Trump seems to be hell bent on facilitating it getting here as quickly as possible instead of trying to mitigate it. Because, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Ohio
5,121 posts, read 1,854,764 times
Reputation: 4285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Which would drastically reduce our standard of living and kill the economy. The climate changes naturally and drastically. What percentage is due to Man? What will the taxes, and restrictions do to reduce climate change? What if the natural climate change rises as it always does?
I am a fatalist on this issue. To trot out a timeworn phrase, the climate change horse is already out of the barn door it's way too late to shut it.

The percentage of the various climate changes due to man is huge, the damage we have done to our ecosystems is enormous, and there is no way back. Even if every nation on earth chopped their fossil fuel consumption in half, it would have little impact on the disaster that is coming.

You could surely argue that it's a a "natural" climate change in any case, as human beings are part of the ecosystem - our unique ability to cause vast and rapid changes to the environment and climate in a short century or two is simply a product of the cleverness of the simian brain.

No matter how you slice it our civilization is screwed, the only thing that remains is how we are going to deal with the changes that are coming. Better pick a region that has a chance of surviving into the next 50 years relatively unscathed; one thing we know for sure, that won't be the heartland or the coastlines of the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM
 
27,540 posts, read 19,357,439 times
Reputation: 14681
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I am a fatalist on this issue. To trot out a timeworn phrase, the climate change horse is already out of the barn door it's way too late to shut it.

The percentage of the various climate changes due to man is huge, the damage we have done to our ecosystems is enormous, and there is no way back. Even if every nation on earth chopped their fossil fuel consumption in half, it would have little impact on the disaster that is coming.

You could surely argue that it's a a "natural" climate change in any case, as human beings are part of the ecosystem - our unique ability to cause vast and rapid changes to the environment and climate in a short century or two is simply a product of the cleverness of the simian brain.

No matter how you slice it our civilization is screwed, the only thing that remains is how we are going to deal with the changes that are coming. Better pick a region that has a chance of surviving into the next 50 years relatively unscathed; one thing we know for sure, that won't be the heartland or the coastlines of the USA.
how do 'we' know that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
 
52,394 posts, read 42,142,715 times
Reputation: 32713
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I am a fatalist on this issue. To trot out a timeworn phrase, the climate change horse is already out of the barn door it's way too late to shut it.

The percentage of the various climate changes due to man is huge, the damage we have done to our ecosystems is enormous, and there is no way back. Even if every nation on earth chopped their fossil fuel consumption in half, it would have little impact on the disaster that is coming.

You could surely argue that it's a a "natural" climate change in any case, as human beings are part of the ecosystem - our unique ability to cause vast and rapid changes to the environment and climate in a short century or two is simply a product of the cleverness of the simian brain.

No matter how you slice it our civilization is screwed, the only thing that remains is how we are going to deal with the changes that are coming. Better pick a region that has a chance of surviving into the next 50 years relatively unscathed; one thing we know for sure, that won't be the heartland or the coastlines of the USA.
Human civilization has been through this before and we worked through it. There is a lot of sensationalism around the topic because it sells. Not saying everything will be great and no problems but it's not like we're talking about a giant asteroid etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top