U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 02:09 PM

22,760 posts, read 11,743,556 times

Advertisements

If liberals really want to understand from an intellectual why intellectuals are frequently despised simply read Thomas Sowell’s “Intellectuals and Society”. We don’t always agree with the vision of the anointed ones.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:11 PM

22,760 posts, read 11,743,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
They need to address "camps" before the mass starvations.

Have any countries who went down that path not had camps where they sent those who might not agree with the program?
All them intellectual arguments failed in the face of a simple visit by Yeltsin to a grocery store In Texas.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:12 PM

3,115 posts, read 674,420 times
Thinking of Biden's recent comment about "truth."

Old 08-17-2019, 02:18 PM

9,725 posts, read 7,364,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
i had a bizarre debate in this forum once where a poster was insisting that an uneducated/uninformed opinion was just as valid as an educated/informed opinion. i pointed out that if that were true you could just go to a random neighbor if you were having car trouble or pick the first person on the street if you needed medical attention instead of going to a mechanic or doctor. she insisted i was wrong and wouldn't budge from her belief.
valid vs valuable or useful

every single registered person that votes in an election, their vote is valid.

Since I'm in the ~1/3 of folks with a college degree, does my vote count more than the high school dropout that can't read or do math?

since I pay income taxes, and own real property, is my vote more valid than theirs?

Of course not.

Now you may have some insight as to why she never budged, and also why you're not as intellectual as you might think.

If you wanted to argue which one SHOULD have more value, or be considered by others, then of course a reasonably well educated and thoughtful person's input is more than an uneducated/uninformed person.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:21 PM

30,245 posts, read 15,720,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
All them intellectual arguments failed in the face of a simple visit by Yeltsin to a grocery store In Texas.
If I remember corect, it was a grocery store in Houston. Rice or Randalls I believe.

It became instantly clear that capitalism rewarded regular people with a great stardard of living.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:28 PM

30,245 posts, read 15,720,496 times
Quote:
I just looked it up. It was Randalls in Clear Lake in 1989.

Clear Lake is just south of Houston by NASA.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:30 PM

196 posts, read 41,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"

• ⁠Isaac Asimov

What does that mean to you?

An educated society is a better society. China and the rest of the world going to rise up much quicker if education no longer a priority in America.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:32 PM

30,150 posts, read 16,645,414 times
Quote:
Yep, we still have Marxists. I mean how many mass starvations are required before they understand it doesn’t just need a little tweaking.
And its ironically the intellectuals, who once their job of helping to lie the masses into submission is over, are the first groups into the work camps, gulags, gallows, mass graves...

PolPot excuted anyone who wore glasses for fear of them being an intellectual.

I point this is out not in pity or defense of the intellectual class, but rather to illustrate its suicidal tendencies

Old 08-17-2019, 02:32 PM

55,947 posts, read 74,987,752 times
It means that people that I know and love can be ready to come to blows with me in defense of a religion -when they have never read it’s primary religious writings
All because they know someone from that religion and they are a really good guy

Old 08-17-2019, 02:34 PM

30,270 posts, read 16,811,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicano3000x View Post
"there is a cult of ignorance in the united states, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"

• ⁠isaac asimov

what does that mean to you?
maga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies