U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 02:36 PM

19,745 posts, read 12,427,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"

• ⁠Isaac Asimov

What does that mean to you?
It means I ask..........."how many degrees do YOU have?"

Why is the average IQ in the US declining one point every decade?

Why would one want to import millions of people who are illiterate in their own language and have no hope of being educated?

Old 08-17-2019, 03:47 PM

4,468 posts, read 2,685,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
i had a bizarre debate in this forum once where a poster was insisting that an uneducated/uninformed opinion was just as valid as an educated/informed opinion. i pointed out that if that were true you could just go to a random neighbor if you were having car trouble or pick the first person on the street if you needed medical attention instead of going to a mechanic or doctor. she insisted i was wrong and wouldn't budge from her belief.
It might be a bizarre debate but it is the very situation we have with democracy. People who are clueless about what is going on politically are allowed to vote and their votes count the same as someone who studies the issues in great depth. I think the power of democracy is not that it chooses the best leaders but it gives everyone a stake in the outcome so they feel like their voice has been heard and are then less likely to revolt against the government.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:51 PM

475 posts, read 98,386 times
Quote:
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"

• ⁠Isaac Asimov

Actually, there's some strength to the notion of ignorant people voting. The average answer that results isn't too bad.

Generally, I'd say that the current cult of ignorance consists of the idea that diversity equals civic bliss....well that, and the notion that men in dresses aren't mentally ill.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:55 PM

1,929 posts, read 487,881 times
The denial of climate science today is the clearest example of willful ignorance. Choosing to ignore the peer-reviewed research which is based on observation and evidence is what sets modern day Republicans apart from everyone else. Luckily the Republican youth is accepting the evidence but the older generation steeped in decades of right-wing propaganda are stuck in their ways.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:30 PM

4,884 posts, read 1,286,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
It might be a bizarre debate but it is the very situation we have with democracy. People who are clueless about what is going on politically are allowed to vote and their votes count the same as someone who studies the issues in great depth. I think the power of democracy is not that it chooses the best leaders but it gives everyone a stake in the outcome so they feel like their voice has been heard and are then less likely to revolt against the government.
Well the bold is obvious no matter the political affiliation. We agree on this.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:41 PM

1,458 posts, read 294,334 times
It seems every generation that comes of age is less intellectual than the generation before them.
There's little to no critical thinking in spite of the schools harping about it. Just because you say it doesn't mean you teach it.

Emotion rules over logic. Rational thought and conversations rarely happen.

Who benefits from this ? Who benefits from having a people easily led by fear, accepting everything told to them ?

You can't disagree with anti-intellectuals and have a decent debate. Their emotions get the best of them and the name calling and deflection start.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:58 PM

1,520 posts, read 360,990 times
Ok, so here's an example, imo, of critical thinking.

Meteoroligical models predicting the forecast 7 days out are laughable.

Hurricane models depicting the path of those storms are spaghetti maps mere days out.

Climate model predictions of 10, 20, 50, 100 years out are therefore complete GARBAGE.

Furthermore, AGW doom and gloom are based on the outputs of these flawed models, so that too is GARBAGE.

GIGO Forever.

Critical thinking. Intellectual? That depends on group think, and peer review...

Last edited by SeaMaj7; 08-17-2019 at 06:08 PM..

Old 08-17-2019, 06:03 PM

12,378 posts, read 7,050,723 times
Quote:

• ⁠Isaac Asimov

I think Isaac is lamenting that in the US, the culturally and politically ignorant voter and the culturally and politically educated voter have equal weight in political elections: one vote each. Isaac then criticizes American voters who don't educate themselves, judging that politically and culturally ignorant citizens relish their ignorance.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:07 PM

9,036 posts, read 4,508,481 times
Quote:

• ⁠Isaac Asimov

What happens in Hong Kong, stays in Hong Kong ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies