U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2019, 11:58 PM
 
1,821 posts, read 365,077 times
Reputation: 1605

Advertisements

JFK would be laughed out of today's Democrat Party. He was a great President. He loved America, and that's the #1 reason he could never be a Democrat today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 12:03 AM
 
Location: the Sticks
9,105 posts, read 2,584,093 times
Reputation: 4800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I think he would.

But, I have to wonder if Reagan would even recognize his party these days.
The same is True of JFK.. He wouldn't even know his own party today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM
 
Location: the Sticks
9,105 posts, read 2,584,093 times
Reputation: 4800
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i think JFK would still be a democrat today, but he would be a conservative democrat.
No he would be an unsuccessful one that wouldn't be elected dog catcher. He is. no where near extreme enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:26 AM
 
Location: Jewel Lake (Sagle) Idaho
27,879 posts, read 17,840,156 times
Reputation: 15887
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i think JFK would still be a democrat today, but he would be a conservative democrat.
These days-there ain't no such animal. Conservative Democrats (or even centrist ones) have become extinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:06 AM
 
4,918 posts, read 2,387,902 times
Reputation: 5794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Time and again Republicans like to say JFK would be a Republican today. It's simply not true. Here is a well known JFK quote:

If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal", then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal.
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/906...ho-looks-ahead

What Republican would say that?
You're so wrong - JFK's beliefs like my own are now thought of as more conservative than liberal. He didn't believe in giving people the world and expecting nothing in return. He didn't back down from conflict but stood his ground. He did not want people dependent on the gov't - he'd offer a helping hand but expected them to stand on their own two feet. People on the left are more delusional every day and trying to justify their opinions. Doesn't cut it because true Democrats know what the party use to stand for and still believe in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM
 
Location: USA
18,712 posts, read 9,171,343 times
Reputation: 14057
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
"Ask not what your country can do for you ask what you can do for your country.

Any Democrat who said this today would be politely requested to leave the platform.
JFK said "A rising tide raises all boats" when talking about tax cuts and the economy. Hmmm, sounds like trickle down economics to me.

Democrats today are promoting TRICKLE UP POVERTY, so they have an excuse to gain more power using the excuse of "fixing it". Democrats today are nothing more than Totalitarian Fascists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:22 AM
 
5,839 posts, read 1,569,099 times
Reputation: 3598
"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." Can you imagine any Democrat today uttering those words? Today, it's more like, "Vote for us and you'll get free stuff!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM
 
4,984 posts, read 2,033,707 times
Reputation: 2257
Default JFK Would Still Be a Democrat

I doubt it. Today's Democratic Party is no longer controlled by liberals... it's controlled by illiberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
281 posts, read 34,642 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
JFK would be laughed out of today's Democrat Party. He was a great President. He loved America, and that's the #1 reason he could never be a Democrat today.

well put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,566 posts, read 11,670,510 times
Reputation: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
To be clear, he wanted across the board tax cuts for both individuals and corporations.

In his own words:

https://youtu.be/aEdXrfIMdiU
Im not sure what your argument here is because the clarification you made has nothing to do with the context of the post.


I doubt JFK would have supported tax rates being as low as they are now. Your post shows no evidence to contradict that claim.

Although to be fair, we are all just making "claims" at this point, but seeing as he has living family members who are close to his legacy and all of them lean left, its safer to say he would be a Democrat than a Republican.

I mean, RFK supported a minimum tax for everyone making over 50,000 dollars, because he knew the tax code allowed those paying the highest rate(75%) to actually pay closer to 10% because of bond, capital gains, inheritance trust fund interests, Charitable reimbursements, and so on.

So again, where is the argument that simply supporting a tax cut (from 90% to 75%/60%)means someone would be a Republican ????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top