U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-18-2019, 02:27 PM
Status: "but it depends on what the definition of "is" is." (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,757 posts, read 665,851 times
Reputation: 1200

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Time and again Republicans like to say JFK would be a Republican today. It's simply not true. Here is a well known JFK quote:

If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal", then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal.
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/906...ho-looks-ahead

What Republican would say that?
I imagine almost any Republican would not have a problem in agreeing with that. They are more or less empty platitudes.

JFK:
1)was a tax cutter and advocate of what later was called 'supply side' economics.
2)was an NRA life member who owned a personal AR-15 that he would take out on his boat.
3)was a staunch anti-communist who, as senator, sometimes allied with Sen. Joe McCarthy
4)was pro-military-spending. Mil. was over 40% of the federal budget, compared to under 20% now.
5)JFK allied closely with Southern segregationists in the Senate, who now are often called (albeit falsely) "conservatives" by modern-day Democrats.

What Democrat today would support that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2019, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
9,287 posts, read 2,835,468 times
Reputation: 7081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
What Democrat of today would say that?
Every single one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 02:55 PM
Status: "but it depends on what the definition of "is" is." (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,757 posts, read 665,851 times
Reputation: 1200
When Reagan was proposing tax cuts, he would often quote JFK to bolster his arguments. This of course would drive the MSM bonkers, because JFK was still their golden boy.

Conservative (and Trump econ advisor) Larry Kudlow wrote a book about JFK-nomics (if you will). I've got to get a copy sometime and read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 03:03 PM
 
46,388 posts, read 18,361,451 times
Reputation: 19340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Time and again Republicans like to say JFK would be a Republican today.......
I haven't heard any Republicans say this. I think you are making it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Austin
12,384 posts, read 7,053,199 times
Reputation: 13729
Kennedy has been revealed to be a meth addict, Dr. Feelgood aka max Jacobson treated him, and a philanderer. even if the man was a good president, he would have been slaughtered in the press for his foibles. In addition to meth addiction and extramarital women, he was a white, Catholic, heterosexual male from a very wealthy family.

Kennedy wouldn't have a long shot chance of being nominated as a democratic party presidential candidate today.

Kennedy lived in a more gentle time....or maybe a more nave time.... about the nature of powerful men. None of them are saints.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 08-18-2019 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 03:12 PM
Status: "but it depends on what the definition of "is" is." (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,757 posts, read 665,851 times
Reputation: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Im not sure what your argument here is because the clarification you made has nothing to do with the context of the post.


I doubt JFK would have supported tax rates being as low as they are now. Your post shows no evidence to contradict that claim.

Although to be fair, we are all just making "claims" at this point, but seeing as he has living family members who are close to his legacy and all of them lean left, its safer to say he would be a Democrat than a Republican.

I mean, RFK supported a minimum tax for everyone making over 50,000 dollars, because he knew the tax code allowed those paying the highest rate(75%) to actually pay closer to 10% because of bond, capital gains, inheritance trust fund interests, Charitable reimbursements, and so on.

So again, where is the argument that simply supporting a tax cut (from 90% to 75%/60%)means someone would be a Republican ????????
The cut from 91% to 70% was quite a large cut at the time. Also it was justified by JFK on the basis of 'supply side economics,' or what would be typically called 'trickle down' by Democrats today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 03:31 PM
 
Location: bold new city of the south
5,431 posts, read 4,360,769 times
Reputation: 6436
Default JFK Would Still Be a Democrat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
JFK was a member of the NRA, he lowered taxes, he appointed anti-abortion Supreme Court Justice Byron White, he grew the military, he was extremely anti-socialism, he was a straight white Christian male. Not a chance in hell he would be a Democrat today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I imagine almost any Republican would not have a problem in agreeing with that. They are more or less empty platitudes.

JFK:
1)was a tax cutter and advocate of what later was called 'supply side' economics.
2)was an NRA life member who owned a personal AR-15 that he would take out on his boat.
3)was a staunch anti-communist who, as senator, sometimes allied with Sen. Joe McCarthy
4)was pro-military-spending. Mil. was over 40% of the federal budget, compared to under 20% now.
5)JFK allied closely with Southern segregationists in the Senate, who now are often called (albeit falsely) "conservatives" by modern-day Democrats.

What Democrat today would support that?
I think these two ^^^posts^^^ prove JFK would not be a democrat in today's political crisis.

Last edited by buddy5; 08-18-2019 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Today you can't say democrat without rat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 03:38 PM
Status: "but it depends on what the definition of "is" is." (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,757 posts, read 665,851 times
Reputation: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I think these two ^^^posts^^^ prove JFK would not be a democrat in today's political crisis.
Another thing I forgot to mention--JFK invaded Castro's Cuba (using the CIA). What Democrat today would support that? Granted the invasion turned out to be a disaster, but that's beside the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 04:01 PM
 
3,120 posts, read 675,482 times
Reputation: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Time and again Republicans like to say JFK would be a Republican today. It's simply not true. Here is a well known JFK quote:

If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal", then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal.
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/906...ho-looks-ahead

What Republican would say that?
In the Current Year, the fact that he was white, male and straight would be considered "troubling and problematic."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 04:17 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,588 posts, read 12,558,686 times
Reputation: 8233
JFK if survived would prob be dead by now as he would have been 102.

Could be from old age or STD's.

Take your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top