U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-18-2019, 05:40 PM
 
1,518 posts, read 426,101 times
Reputation: 872

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
JFK was a member of the NRA, he lowered taxes, he appointed anti-abortion Supreme Court Justice Byron White, he grew the military, he was extremely anti-socialism, he was a straight white Christian male. Not a chance in hell he would be a Democrat today.
Tell that to the Kennedy family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2019, 07:12 PM
 
11,511 posts, read 7,434,437 times
Reputation: 4677
If JFK was still around today, republicans would call him an antifa terrorist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 07:20 PM
 
30,331 posts, read 15,738,249 times
Reputation: 20380
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Im not sure what your argument here is because the clarification you made has nothing to do with the context of the post.


I doubt JFK would have supported tax rates being as low as they are now. Your post shows no evidence to contradict that claim.

Although to be fair, we are all just making "claims" at this point, but seeing as he has living family members who are close to his legacy and all of them lean left, its safer to say he would be a Democrat than a Republican.

I mean, RFK supported a minimum tax for everyone making over 50,000 dollars, because he knew the tax code allowed those paying the highest rate(75%) to actually pay closer to 10% because of bond, capital gains, inheritance trust fund interests, Charitable reimbursements, and so on.

So again, where is the argument that simply supporting a tax cut (from 90% to 75%/60%)means someone would be a Republican ????????
He said all tax payers. Do you think all tax payers were paying a 90% rate?

I know many on the left would love to see everyone oay 90%, but you clearly are ignorant on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 07:21 PM
 
30,331 posts, read 15,738,249 times
Reputation: 20380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
If JFK was still around today, republicans would call him an antifa terrorist.
You clearly have no clue about his policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Southern Nevada
2,918 posts, read 1,242,947 times
Reputation: 3241
I don't think the radical Socialist sub-humans of 2020 would have anything to do with JFK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 09:39 PM
 
30,331 posts, read 15,738,249 times
Reputation: 20380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I don't think the radical Socialist sub-humans of 2020 would have anything to do with JFK.
They would label Barbara Jordan a racist Nazi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,576 posts, read 11,681,593 times
Reputation: 4373
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I haven't heard any Republicans say this. I think you are making it up.
PragerU /Larry Elder https://www.prageru.com/video/jfk-de...6J3wAkdSv0AGmM

MSNBC/Ted Cruz

Ted Cruz believes JFK 'would be a Republican today' | MSNBC


Not to mention this is like the 8th thread on this forum I have seen on the subject, im sure there are more.

JFK Would Be Considered Alt-Right by todays Democrats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,576 posts, read 11,681,593 times
Reputation: 4373
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
He said all tax payers. Do you think all tax payers were paying a 90% rate?

I know many on the left would love to see everyone oay 90%, but you clearly are ignorant on this subject.
Again, your argument does not change a single thing about the topic. try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,576 posts, read 11,681,593 times
Reputation: 4373
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
The cut from 91% to 70% was quite a large cut at the time. Also it was justified by JFK on the basis of 'supply side economics,' or what would be typically called 'trickle down' by Democrats today.
trickle down and supply side economics arent the same things,and to add on, I dont see JFK making that argument.

That seems to be the right wing explanation as to why he cut taxes, but not JFK's own explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
3,116 posts, read 1,699,318 times
Reputation: 3656
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
The cut from 91% to 70% was quite a large cut at the time. Also it was justified by JFK on the basis of 'supply side economics,' or what would be typically called 'trickle down' by Democrats today.
Kennedy was a Keynesian...NOT a supply sider.

As has been noted, the top marginal tax rate at the time was 91 percent, which JFK wanted reduced to a "more sensible" 65 percent. Compare that with today's top rate. If supply-siders are so enamored of JFK's tax policies, would they advocate a return to a "more sensible" 65 percent top rate?

Merely advocating for a tax cut does NOT make someone a supply-sider. IF that were true then JFK joins the ranks of other "supply siders" like Barack Obama (the tax cuts in the stimulus package, for example).

Kennedy, like Obama, favored both tax cuts and spending increases to stimulate the economy as counter cyclical measure (like you would expect a Keynsian to do). JFK moved first on tax cuts because he didn't think increased spending was initially politically viable, but it remained a large part of his agenda for 1964.

"First we'll have your tax cut," he told chief economic adviser Walter Heller, 11 days before his assassination, "then we'll have my expenditures program."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top