U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2019, 12:00 PM
 
13,064 posts, read 4,020,558 times
Reputation: 3925

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
American popular mind equates Asians with with wealth - the most American thing imaginable and yet American society denies Asians full integration, they must self-segregate for some sort of human connection. Americans grew up to be almost a separate human specie, alien to the outsiders from less atomized worlds. It takes many many years if not generations to get used to it, anger and spite are the normal part of accepting that you've been duped on many levels, and at the end it is your fault.
Yeah being one of the wealthiest groups in America is just not good enough. Everything is our fault even imaginary things. We're disliked because were just so dislike-able and bad lol. Are you seriously trying to argue Asia is more inclusive and less alien than America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2019, 12:19 PM
 
5,193 posts, read 5,122,724 times
Reputation: 6385
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yeah being one of the wealthiest groups in America is just not good enough. Everything is our fault even imaginary things. We're disliked because were just so dislike-able and bad lol. Are you seriously trying to argue Asia is more inclusive and less alien than America?
No, but it makes no difference to an Asian man who cannot get a date, never mind all those feel good color blind Hollywood movies he watched. Much unlike Asia USA sold the world its image that does not exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 12:31 PM
 
8,090 posts, read 5,146,508 times
Reputation: 13824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
The only problem is that we haven't really seen this happen with the Latino community as of yet.

And with the continual numbers of both legal and illegal immigrants from south of the border, this may never come to pass...
Give it time. Consider what happened to Greek, Italian or Polish immigrants. In 1919, they weren't even considered to be fully "white". They voted based on immigrant identity; maybe on machine-politics. And today?

We're thinking in terms of the 2008 election, the 2012 election, the 2016 election, the 2020 election. That's too brief. Instead, I'm talking about the 2120 election. How will the great-great-grandchildren of today's first-generation immigrants vote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Catholics mindset is less social Darwinian and more communitarian than those of mainstream American Christianity. I do not see latino catholics agreeing on many issues with protestant America....
I'm seeing confluence in political identity between Evangelical Protestants, Conservative Catholics, Orthodox Jews and even conservative Muslims. The shared idea is that laws come from divine imprint, tradition is valued because it's handed to us from supernatural directive, and the human experience is fundamentally informed by humans being in the Creator's image. Everything else - what foods are forbidden, what holidays to observe, what clothes to wear, and so forth - are details.

On the opposing side are secular people, whether Hispanic ex-Catholics, Turkish/Arab/Persian/Pakistani ex-Muslims, Ashkenazi non-religious Jews, New England blue-blood WASPs who have given up the "P"... who assert that laws are a manmade creation, that existence is contingent and fraught, that what society values is conditional, evolving and often wrong, and that tradition is at best something that we do as a placeholder, until we figure out an improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 01:08 PM
 
843 posts, read 216,663 times
Reputation: 1274
Hand picking a team that approves of your actions will always result in the types of outcomes we see today.
That's not hard to determine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Online
533 posts, read 195,474 times
Reputation: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
This white is a Democrat. I don't think there's a "policy change" Republicans could make to get my vote unless it was a Democratic platform that included health care, education and removing the ridiculous contradictions like opposing welfare but loving farmer handouts, just for a start. I'm not remotely obsessed with immigration the way Republicans are. There's apparently plenty of jobs they could do and farmers begging to hire them so I don't share the anger and resentment Republicans have for them.

I don't consider religion a wild card that grants unlimited immunity. I don't care about gay marriage. I would rather abortion be legal than pay for poverty stricken, often drug addicted mothers to have babies they can't care for. The divide is not racial as much as it is urban vs. rural and the urbans are tired of paying for everything.
I am with you. And I agree, it's more of a rural vs. urban than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 01:22 PM
 
16,318 posts, read 4,293,062 times
Reputation: 11487
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Are you seriously trying to argue Asia is more inclusive and less alien than America?
Well, using any measurement of "do you approve of the way things are going and your leadership and basic traditions and foundations?" I'd guess there would be a big difference in China vs. USA.

But for a westerner to try and understand Eastern thoughts and traditions...is tough. They value action more than words, whereas we fight all day long with BS here.

Alien? I'd say most newer cultures are going to feel so to their residents then those with foundations....especially sane foundations like Buddhism and Taoism. Traditions based on honor and family and "lifting all boats" to whatever extent would seem to be more timeless then "how much are you going to make next quarter" and "get more guns because your kids were shot up in school".

Generalizations, to be sure. In the USA there are multitudes of cultures and traditions, but in a governance and corporate sense this is less so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Online
533 posts, read 195,474 times
Reputation: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Anyone who doesn't think in 20 years that the 50% white electorate will mostly vote Republican and the 50% non-white electorate will mostly vote Democratic has their head in the sand. There will be outliers in either party who don't fit the race pattern, but most of the votes will come from racial blocs.

For some not insignificant part of either faction, their vote will be determined by race. For most, it will be a factor which is correlated with other factors such as socio-economic status and cultural values.

I actually dread this outcome but don't see a way around it. It's surely an ugly way to debate national politics. For decades, "individual policy preferences vs group identity" was the leaven that kept American politics above banana republic level.

This change will mostly come about from white voters acting as a bloc, whereas in the past they were somewhat evenly divided between the two parties. This shift will be driven by declining white electoral size relative to non-whites, and the policy changes in both parties as a result.

Democrats will eject whites with policy changes, and Republicans will pick them up with policy changes. The latter step is necessary to prevent the voter from not voting at all.

Non-whites have been bloc voting for decades, and whites did not follow suit because they were in a position of strength and could afford the luxury of voting for other reasons. That is already changing however.
Got any facts or research to back-up your theory? I didn't think so ...

Look, what you say is a possibility. Anything is. But you are looking at it from a single variable point of view. Which is almost never the case. That itself proves your theory wrong.

If you think about it ... 95% of all humans are the same. Do we really want to go through all this because of that 5% difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 01:26 PM
 
13,064 posts, read 4,020,558 times
Reputation: 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
No, but it makes no difference to an Asian man who cannot get a date, never mind all those feel good color blind Hollywood movies he watched. Much unlike Asia USA sold the world its image that does not exist.
Not my fault if an Asian man can't get a date with a woman or can't tell the difference between drama and fiction and non-fiction. My advise is to stay in Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 01:30 PM
 
13,064 posts, read 4,020,558 times
Reputation: 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, using any measurement of "do you approve of the way things are going and your leadership and basic traditions and foundations?" I'd guess there would be a big difference in China vs. USA.

But for a westerner to try and understand Eastern thoughts and traditions...is tough. They value action more than words, whereas we fight all day long with BS here.

Alien? I'd say most newer cultures are going to feel so to their residents then those with foundations....especially sane foundations like Buddhism and Taoism. Traditions based on honor and family and "lifting all boats" to whatever extent would seem to be more timeless then "how much are you going to make next quarter" and "get more guns because your kids were shot up in school".

Generalizations, to be sure. In the USA there are multitudes of cultures and traditions, but in a governance and corporate sense this is less so.
That's the problem, incompatible and vying for supremacy over the native, majority one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 03:40 PM
 
37,624 posts, read 16,653,651 times
Reputation: 10192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
The OP seems to assume that everyone votes purely their own self-interest. One reason I have admired the Kennedys (JFK and RFK) is that, even though they were wealthy and white, they fought for the poor and for minorities. If whites become the minority, I won't suddenly become an anti-immigrant racist. I hope the majority of Americans would vote for the common good and not be factionalized by race.

Conservatives often accuse liberals of being naive do-gooders. I guess I'd rather be called naive than cold-hearted.
Well the Democrats of today aren't fighting for the American worker whether they be poor and minority workers or not, they are fighting for illegal aliens instead. That to me is being cold blooded against our own people no matter who they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top