U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 03:45 PM

37,624 posts, read 16,653,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Definitely true! WW1 was catastrophic for Western optimism and European prosperity in particular. We forget today, that before 1914, European influence worldwide was overwhelming, and America, though prosperous, was a second-rate player. The resulting crisis was about West vs. East, Us vs. Them. It was a philosophical crisis, of the nature of individuals vs. governments, objective vs. subjective facts, the moral implications of science and technology. And it happened first, precisely in the most developed nations.

Indeed, one of the most reliably Democratic blocs in recent times, has been people with PhDs.

From my vantage point, the current party division over immigration, is temporary. The enduring division will be cultural. Even today, we see as one of the biggest predictors of party-allegiance, at least among whites, the level of religiosity. Secular people – rich or poor, hippie or yuppie, well-educated or not, Coastal or Heartland – are gravitating towards the Democratic party. Actively religious people are going Republican. If Latinos remain traditionally Christian, they’re likely to eventually go Republican, as they establish themselves and lose their Latin cultural identity, without losing the Christian one.
Many Latinos think if they go to church they are Christians all the while holding their ethnic group above our immigration laws. Nothing Christian about that. They have a tribal mentality and that will always trump their Christianity. They are also adamant about retaining their cultural identity. None of this will ever change enough for many of them to become Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 03:58 PM

49,029 posts, read 45,930,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Many Latinos think if they go to church they are Christians all the while holding their ethnic group above our immigration laws. Nothing Christian about that. They have a tribal mentality and that will always trump their Christianity. They are also adamant about retaining their cultural identity. None of this will ever change enough for many of them to become Republicans.
33 years of living have taught me something. Alot of people are tribalistic in the way they vote. While alot of Hispanic people look out for their in-group first, they aren't alone in this. Many Asian-Americans are like this. Alot of Black Americans are like this. Alot of White Americans are like this. Tribalism has been rampant in the USA from day one. Division has been rampant since day one.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Trump or GOP would say they want to provide more opportunity to all Americans and have equal access. Trump has said on several occasion during his tenure it's been the lowest unemployment rate for African Americans, Asian Americans, and Hispanics Americans and women in how many ever decades. He never mentions whites or males in the employment rate, maybe because they have not gained as much or at all .

I can't make you see things my way, but from my perspective the GOP has bent over backwards to court minority voters to the neglect of whites, and they still get very few votes especially from blacks.
I don't think so. The unemployment rates started dropping in 2012, before Trump even thought about running for President. And I haven't seen Trump do much regarding jobs for Black Americans. In fact, between 2018-2019, unemployment rates for Blacks (especially men) went up. This is the only group for whom unemployment rates have actually risen.

And based on things President Trump has said, I wouldn't expect him to do much for Blacks.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ist/985438002/

When riots took place in Baltimore, President Trump tweeted a racially charged tweet aimed at former President Obama. He also doubled down on his Central Park 5 comments from the 1980s. His "look at my African-American over there" comment at a rally in California, which was quite brutish and stupid. And then there is President Trump making all kinds of fallacious claims about former President Obama's citizenship, i.e the birthern movement.

I have not seen anything that would suggest that the GOP has bent over backwards to get the Black vote. I've seen more bigoted comments come from some GOP politicians (and voter suppresion take place in Georgia, and I'm not talking about voter ID laws either) than the GOP bending over backwards.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:11 PM

8,090 posts, read 5,146,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Many Latinos think if they go to church they are Christians all the while holding their ethnic group above our immigration laws. Nothing Christian about that. ...
What does ethnic identity or immigration-law have to do with Christianity (or Islam, or atheism, or...)?

Old 08-19-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
What does ethnic identity or immigration-law have to do with Christianity (or Islam, or atheism, or...)?
Not all that much. It depends on who you talk to.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:47 AM

10,995 posts, read 4,537,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Republicans straight up chased the Asians and Arabs out of their party, other minorities used to vote steadily Republican as well and now Cubans seem to be shifting towards the Dems at a quick pace. Now unless you believe the Dems somehow lured all these groups in, it's clear as day. Republican consistent pandering to the white vote chased minorities away. Maybe during Bush and Romney years it took a backseat but during Trump it became obvious. The Democrat party is a majority white party but more diverse than America and the Republican party is significantly whiter than America. Now their are plenty of fine republicans, Bush and Romney being two of them who I just agreed to disagree with. But DJT panders so hard only a Republican entrenched in his rhetoric couldn't see it.
Did they? Asian Americans used to be few in number without any particular group voting pattern. Then the anti-communist Asians arrived and gravitated toward the more strongly anti-communist GOP. Then huge numbers of newcomers found success and sent their kids to American universities where they assimilated to the values of their white liberal professors and peers. Asian America today is very different than 30 years ago, in some ways it's a subdivision of whitopia.

Last edited by The Dark Enlightenment; 08-20-2019 at 01:24 AM..

Old 08-20-2019, 06:26 AM

37,624 posts, read 16,653,651 times
Quote:
I just explained it in my prior post. Real Christians obey the laws of the land just for starters and don't think their racial or ethnic group should be above them. Christians put the better good for all above that selfish nonsense.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:51 AM

1,935 posts, read 1,973,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
White leftist think they are leftist first and white second. Not to the diversity left in the US. They are white and unliked too period. I'm sure the country will always mostly be in the ultimate control of elite whites, but just being a white liberal voter will not make you one of them under their protection. It never really had before and it won' t in the future.
I remember reading a article on a left-wing site about US counties that voted for Trump in 2016 being hit disproportionately hard by the opioid crisis.

What shocked me from the reading the comments was how many of the posters CHEERED and CELEBRATED these Trump voters (most of whom were overwhelmingly white in these counties) dying from opioid overdoses. Holy crap!

Not to mention just the general VITRIOL and hatred they had against Trump supporters.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:53 AM

1,935 posts, read 1,973,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
No, but it makes no difference to an Asian man who cannot get a date, never mind all those feel good color blind Hollywood movies he watched. Much unlike Asia USA sold the world its image that does not exist.
Lol, pretty much. It's not always about the money...

Old 08-20-2019, 10:55 AM

13,310 posts, read 4,577,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Your thinking is way too Partisan. And racist.
I don't vote for people on basis of the R or D they have besides their name.
That being said if trends continue in the current fashion, I may not ever vote

for a Republican again.

They have thrown out the things that I liked about them most to begin with (smaller Government, Less government interference in peoples lives, balanced budget, fiscally conservative)And They seem to have been taken over by the crazies in their party, who seem racist, biased, paranoid and longing to live back in another century of time.

And you can scream that I am just a Liberal or biased, blah blah, blah blah, but yet I was a Republican from 1976 - 2016.
And you support the radical Democrats that do everything you listed you hate. What a joke...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or