U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM
 
1,808 posts, read 615,134 times
Reputation: 1386

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I didn't say there were none, but very few as they are mostly in non-rural areas. You're just making strawman arguments now.
That poster is not worth engaging with. He/she debates in bad faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM
Status: "45 is a Puppet" (set 23 days ago)
 
18,449 posts, read 11,282,497 times
Reputation: 9699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Now you're just being obtuse because your hateful rhetoric was called out.
What hateful rhetoric? There is nothing emotional about this, it's completely objective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Japan
10,974 posts, read 4,524,602 times
Reputation: 7033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
This white is a Democrat. I don't think there's a "policy change" Republicans could make to get my vote unless it was a Democratic platform that included health care, education and removing the ridiculous contradictions like opposing welfare but loving farmer handouts, just for a start. I'm not remotely obsessed with immigration the way Republicans are. There's apparently plenty of jobs they could do and farmers begging to hire them so I don't share the anger and resentment Republicans have for them.

I don't consider religion a wild card that grants unlimited immunity. I don't care about gay marriage. I would rather abortion be legal than pay for poverty stricken, often drug addicted mothers to have babies they can't care for. The divide is not racial as much as it is urban vs. rural and the urbans are tired of paying for everything.
Lots of people disagree, most of them Democrats. At least half of the people in your party dislike you because you are white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM
 
187 posts, read 39,689 times
Reputation: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
This white is a Democrat. I don't think there's a "policy change" Republicans could make to get my vote unless it was a Democratic platform that included health care, education and removing the ridiculous contradictions like opposing welfare but loving farmer handouts, just for a start. I'm not remotely obsessed with immigration the way Republicans are. There's apparently plenty of jobs they could do and farmers begging to hire them so I don't share the anger and resentment Republicans have for them.

I don't consider religion a wild card that grants unlimited immunity. I don't care about gay marriage. I would rather abortion be legal than pay for poverty stricken, often drug addicted mothers to have babies they can't care for. The divide is not racial as much as it is urban vs. rural and the urbans are tired of paying for everything.
Not a Democrat...agree with this though. Almost all threads on here devolve into useless racial arguments...many tired of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
7,196 posts, read 4,072,626 times
Reputation: 13315
Just because some people believe in equality for all, and that skin color is irrelevant, it does not
mean that they dislike you because you are white.
Maybe they aren't trying to knock you off of the pedestal that you have always lived on,
perhaps they are just trying to lift others up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM
 
12,799 posts, read 3,985,348 times
Reputation: 3865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
That poster is not worth engaging with. He/she debates in bad faith.
Agree. It's common for urban liberals (white plus non-white) to claim it's urban against rural conservatives (white). But there's clear indications it increasing urban non-white liberals against white urban liberals and white rural conservatives. White liberals just don't seem to notice yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Japan
10,974 posts, read 4,524,602 times
Reputation: 7033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Hahha so blame the immigrants for pollution while Trump's Environmental Polluting Agency is removing every environmental protection they can at record speed? Those darn immigrants!
You might want to think that through a bit more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
21,705 posts, read 14,568,693 times
Reputation: 16068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I think you'll become politically homeless as a result of changes in the Democratic party before you'd ever vote Republican.
Not me. I've never voted a straight ticket in my life. If my guy wins, I'm proud he won. It's all candidate over party for me and always has been.

I've always been quite comfortable as a registered member of one party while voting for someone in the other party. If that makes me politically homeless, homelessness suits me fine.

For me, losing an election hasn't ever been so critical as to change my affiliation. That may change in the future, but not for 2020.

I know many voters will vote for party over the person, no matter what.

But I tend to think there are lots and lots of voters who share my attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM
 
48,862 posts, read 45,857,531 times
Reputation: 15527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Here's my anecdata:

I am an upper middle class urban white with a graduate degree in my late 30s, so based on my demographic profile I should be pulling the blue lever with great devotion every two years.

Well, something funny happened on the way to the polling booth. And most of it had to do with being demonized by the left.
My anecdata:

I am a middle class suburban(and slightly country) African-American male with a bachelor's degree. I'm in my early 30s. I'm a white collar person in terms of work. The first, and only time I ever pulled the red lever (or pressed the red button in my case) was when I was 18 and in college. This mostly had to do with me aligning myself with the religious right. I'm still religious, but I don't identify with the religious right anymore. Truth is, as a Black person, I never truly felt appreciated by the right. I felt like the right demonized me(I'm not talking about individuals, as I've met nice individuals who happened to be conservative). One reason I've pulled that blue lever alot. I did pull for a Libertarian this time in 2016. Based on what I'm seeing currently, I don't think I will be pulling that red lever. I haven't been given a reason to. I could vote Republican, but the right kind of Republican hasn't come around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM
 
12,799 posts, read 3,985,348 times
Reputation: 3865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Just because some people believe in equality for all, and that skin color is irrelevant, it does not
mean that they dislike you because you are white.
Maybe they aren't trying to knock you off of the pedestal that you have always lived on,
perhaps they are just trying to lift others up.
That's the white privilege fallacy, very offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top