U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:26 AM

19,190 posts, read 9,767,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
I did not infer, I stated, “the constitution's commerce clause was enabled by delegates from wealthier states agreeing to sacrifice their own states' advantages. Without such compromises, the constitution would not have been ratified and our nation might not have survived to this day. That compromise is no less needed now, as it was in 1787”.

Your conclusion of inference from that statement are a matter within your own mind. In this case, your conclusion of inference is not shared by myself and I don't suppose it would be shared by most people. I'm pleased that the law amuses you; humor is healthy.

The federal minimum wage rate has been continuously upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court and the U.S. Congress has not voted to repeal it. That pleases me.
Please explain which part pleases you.

1. People are forced at gunpoint to pay above fair market rate for labor and services, or
2. People are prohibited from selling their labor and services at a discount to compete with others so that they can feed their family?

The minimum wage law is nothing but modern slavery. It’s not the first time the the court upheld slavery to be constitutional.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; Today at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:31 AM

19,219 posts, read 7,509,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Please explain which part pleases you.

1. People are forced at gunpoint to pay above fair market rate for labor and services, or
2. People are prohibited from selling their labor and services at a discount to compete with others?

The minimum wage law is nothing but modern slavery. Itís not the first time the the court upheld slavery to be constitutional.
True, both points.

Old Today, 11:44 AM

27,064 posts, read 11,366,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If a MW increase was too much for this fast food joint to afford, their past P&L reports should reflect that, they would show a business BARELY surviving...

Have you ever checked out the annual earnings for fast food joints? many are doing EXTREMELY well and can very much afford to pay a MW increase.
It's not about what one can afford to pay, it's about the value one receivers from the worker. The free market tells us that.

Old Today, 11:53 AM

19,219 posts, read 7,509,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's not about what one can afford to pay, it's about the value one receivers from the worker. The free market tells us that.

Its all about the value as it should be. What one can afford never belongs in the thought process of what to pay.

Old Today, 11:54 AM

5,373 posts, read 1,468,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Brings up an old political cartoon.

A fast-food manager is standing there, surrounded by his crew. Half a dozen people with brooms, aprons, a spatula etc.

He says, "I have good news, and I have bad news.

"The good news is, the new minimum-wage law says I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."
Quote:
If a MW increase was too much for this fast food joint to afford, their past P&L reports should reflect that, they would show a business BARELY surviving...
The usual scary assertions.

And the usual complete lack of evidence or references.

(yawn)

Old Today, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Have you ever checked out the annual earnings for fast food joints? many are doing EXTREMELY well and can very much afford to pay a MW increase.
Does it matter? Who are you to decide for them as to what they can afford?

Old Today, 12:54 PM

35,514 posts, read 19,498,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Spoken like a person who doesn't realize that simply because you increase the cost per hour of a job by government fiat doesn't mean that said job is actually worth the increased cost.

Spoken like a person who doesn't realize that shifting more spending power to the masses is a surefire method for economic growth.

How 'bout that tRump Labor Dept?

Old Today, 01:01 PM

5,093 posts, read 1,003,468 times
What is the most practical state and federal minimum wage amount?

Old Today, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Spoken like a person who doesn't realize that shifting more spending power to the masses is a surefire method for economic growth.

How 'bout that tRump Labor Dept?

Speaking like someone who doesnít realize that forcing people to give you more money isnít going to spur jack.

Old Today, 01:05 PM

30,135 posts, read 16,637,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think it's quaint how suddenly people care about undercutting jobs with low wages after they championed NAFTA, free trade and all the other off-shoring....while supporting illegal immigration that does the same thing.

Secondly, some parts of the country are cheaper to live in than others. Why should the minimum wage in NYC be the same as in Eagleville, MO? Why?

Ignoring for a moment the moral implications of govt forcing itself upon voluntary agreements:
You've already recognized every job market has its own unique circumstances that necessarily impact wages, carry the logic further;every market is unique, every job is unique, every employee is unique and as such wages shouldnt be set by anyone but the principles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or