U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
 
2,610 posts, read 892,696 times
Reputation: 1810

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Persecution? The only real "persecution" would be the sizeable number of Christians who believe they are helping with conversion therapy.

I believe conversion therapy is bunk, but they are doing it out of the belief they are helping gay people.
Only very recently. Just a few years ago, gays were not permitted to marry or adopt, they could be discriminated against in housing and employment, they very well might be beat up or even killed (remember Matthew Shepherd?). Christians have a long history of persecuting gays in this country. Muslims just haven't had much presence here.

But I do agree that the US should start to focus more on gay rights in other places. To my (somewhat) surprise, I learned that Trump has actually taken some steps in that direction:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...uality-n973081
Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Northern NJ/Amagansett, NY
11,240 posts, read 10,310,602 times
Reputation: 7922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Only very recently. Just a few years ago, gays were not permitted to marry or adopt, they could be discriminated against in housing and employment, they very well might be beat up or even killed (remember Matthew Shepherd?). Christians have a long history of persecuting gays in this country. Muslims just haven't had much presence here.

But I do agree that the US should start to focus more on gay rights in other places. To my (somewhat) surprise, I learned that Trump has actually taken some steps in that direction:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...uality-n973081
Why surprised? He said as much during his acceptance speech at the 2016 convention.


Quote:
ďAs your president, I will do everything in my power to protect our LGBTQ citizens from the violence and oppression of a hateful foreign ideology,Ē
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Northern NJ/Amagansett, NY
11,240 posts, read 10,310,602 times
Reputation: 7922
Three days ago, the Log Cabin Republicans endorsed Trump in 2020. I haven’t seen anything on this board or in the news about it. I am on vacation though, so I haven’t been watching as much as usual.

Quote:
The Log Cabin Republicans, the nation’s largest collective of LGBTQ conservatives, has officially endorsed the re-election of President Donald Trump — after its board of directors voted against endorsing him in 2016 — stating that Trump has advanced LGBTQ rights and helped the GOP move past “culture wars” during his tenure.
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...-2016-n1043221
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,570 posts, read 11,676,882 times
Reputation: 4372
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The left doesnít exactly make it easier on us to do that. According to Pew, 56% of people who lean Republican are pro-same sex marriage. But since the left paints all republicans with the same brush, being vocal about it turns into an attack on the entire party. A party which we support, in spite of the other 44% who are against it. I was for same sex marriage when Barrack Obama was against it. But if I were to be vocal about it, people on the left would weaponize that view, against the entire Republican Party, instead of celebrating the 56% of Republicans that support it. Which is what they would do, if they truly cared about the issue, more than making political points.
1. You are wrong on the numbers

the Pew poll says only 37% of Republicans support gay marriage

the 56% is from Republican leaning independents which according to the pew polls, makes up less than 30% of people who vote Republican.

so the actual figure for all people who vote Republicans is 44%.

https://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/...-gay-marriage/

2. How you vote matters far more than what you claim to believe in. (actions speak louder than words)

The National Republican Party does not support gay marriage, none of the 50 state parties support gay marriage.

3/55 senators

4/200 congressmen.

The people who claim to support gay marriage tend to vote for people who dont.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Northern NJ/Amagansett, NY
11,240 posts, read 10,310,602 times
Reputation: 7922
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
1. You are wrong on the numbers

the Pew poll says only 37% of Republicans support gay marriage

the 56% is from Republican leaning independents which according to the pew polls, makes up less than 30% of people who vote Republican.

so the actual figure for all people who vote Republicans is 44%.

https://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/...-gay-marriage/

2. How you vote matters far more than what you claim to believe in. (actions speak louder than words)

The National Republican Party does not support gay marriage, none of the 50 state parties support gay marriage.

3/55 senators

4/200 congressmen.

The people who claim to support gay marriage tend to vote for people who dont.
Well, you have to prioritize. Most people arenít 1 issue voters.

My bad on the number mix up. I remembered it wrong. I read the poll a while back in responding to a different thread.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM
 
12,988 posts, read 10,104,817 times
Reputation: 16539
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Why surprised? He said as much during his acceptance speech at the 2016 convention.
He said a lot that we have not seen in his so-called speeches.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
33,503 posts, read 20,337,364 times
Reputation: 13119
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I repped you. Because I misread you! Minus one rep for you for completely factless assertion.

I still do wonder when being a warrior for justice became a Bad Thing.
lol
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Right here; Right now
9,041 posts, read 4,510,068 times
Reputation: 1434
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I repped you. Because I misread you! Minus one rep for you for completely factless assertion.

I still do wonder when being a warrior for justice became a Bad Thing.
looks like in 2011
Social justice warrior
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,570 posts, read 11,676,882 times
Reputation: 4372
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

My bad on the number mix up. I remembered it wrong. I read the poll a while back in responding to a different thread.

Thats cool, no harm no foul

Quote:
Well, you have to prioritize. Most people arenít 1 issue voters.
You cant claim to care about gay people and then "prioritize" away their rights, its shows the inherent lie in claiming you care.

To be clear, you can either vote for someone else in the primary and if your guy loses, write in someone better in the general. You dont have to vote for the homophobe just because you agree on taxes. thats a cop out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM
 
30,245 posts, read 15,720,496 times
Reputation: 20356
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Thats cool, no harm no foul



You cant claim to care about gay people and then "prioritize" away their rights, its shows the inherent lie in claiming you care.

To be clear, you can either vote for someone else in the primary and if your guy loses, write in someone better in the general. You dont have to vote for the homophobe just because you agree on taxes. thats a cop out.
It's always about priotities clisest to home.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top