U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-19-2019, 09:10 PM
 
8,191 posts, read 4,623,897 times
Reputation: 10375

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's always about priotities clisest to home.
Which is a good summation of the answer to the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2019, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Houston
1,761 posts, read 649,811 times
Reputation: 1548
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Wait.

Didn't Obama and Hillary both go on record as being against Gay Marriage? Trump has never taken this position. In fact he's congratulated Pete and Christian Buttigieg for theirs. What say you about that? Don't you think you are being unrealistic by saying "they are bad, we are good"? Why do you keep giving unconditional support to a political party which has only pandered to Gays?



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3JZdmpCPl8
There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between coming out for it TODAY than in the 90s-2000s. Is that not understood by Most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 09:24 PM
 
31,624 posts, read 16,191,216 times
Reputation: 20874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between coming out for it TODAY than in the 90s-2000s. Is that not understood by Most?
Yeah, it didn't suit their political needs back then.

They never cared about gay people but only votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Northern NJ/Amagansett, NY
11,701 posts, read 10,503,398 times
Reputation: 8185
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Thats cool, no harm no foul



You cant claim to care about gay people and then "prioritize" away their rights, its shows the inherent lie in claiming you care.

To be clear, you can either vote for someone else in the primary and if your guy loses, write in someone better in the general. You dont have to vote for the homophobe just because you agree on taxes. thats a cop out.
It’s not that I don't care. It’s just that I care about other things more. There are many other things that I care about, that I will not have the opportunity to vote for, because no single politician has all the same views on all issues that I do. I wish there was. We all have to pick and choose what is most important to us. That is the whole point of voting. It is not a lie that I care. If I said I care more about that issue than any other issue, THAT would be a lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,753 posts, read 7,674,617 times
Reputation: 11281
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I have no association with ANYONE who would say something like white people and "his[her] own people". THAT person is not MY people. No way.
As I stated before, I have no respect for political correctness and I see you are offended by a white person referring to other white people as his/her own people. Political correctness has no place in a free nation. I refuse to be told it is wrong for me to identify with MY OWN people like that. In fact I am proud of the history and accomplishments of my people (British heritage). No liberal has the right to degrade our history or accomplishments as a people. I am really over all the anti white and obligatory white guilt thing. Done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 09:43 PM
 
406 posts, read 147,759 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yeah, it didn't suit their political needs back then.

They never cared about gay people but only votes.

It's almost like they're politicians LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 09:46 PM
 
8,191 posts, read 4,623,897 times
Reputation: 10375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
It's almost like they're politicians LOL
Yeah and in reality a politicians personal views shouldn’t matter at all. Their job is to represent the people, not themselves. Don’t really have a problem with “flip-flops” or “evolved positions”. That’s the job description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 09:51 PM
 
8,191 posts, read 4,623,897 times
Reputation: 10375
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
As I stated before, I have no respect for political correctness and I see you are offended by a white person referring to other white people as his/her own people. Political correctness has no place in a free nation. I refuse to be told it is wrong for me to identify with MY OWN people like that. In fact I am proud of the history and accomplishments of my people (British heritage). No liberal has the right to degrade our history or accomplishments as a people. I am really over all the anti white and obligatory white guilt thing. Done with it.
Do you really have more in common with someone in Britain over a fellow American of a different race though?

I’m white of German and Irish descent, but I’ve got more in common with my black Marine neighbor than a random German.

Not enough folks acknowledging that is the root of our division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,753 posts, read 7,674,617 times
Reputation: 11281
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Do you really have more in common with someone in Britain over a fellow American of a different race though?

I’m white of German and Irish descent, but I’ve got more in common with my black Marine neighbor than a random German.

Not enough folks acknowledging that is the root of our division.
I never said that I don’t have anything in common with my black neighbors. He like me is an American. In that context he is also “my people”. This discussion however is about ethnicity. Those who show pride in, celebrate their heritage as a white person are demonized and attacked as being racist. The black man can talk about “his people”, the Hispanic can talk of “his people” all in the context of their shared ethnicity but when we white people do it we are supposed to be ok with a leftist wagging his finger at us and saying “no no” you whites cannot do that or your a racist. I guess what I am saying is I will do as I please and would encourage all other white people to do the same. I will say it again, political correctness has no place in a free society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 10:18 PM
 
8,114 posts, read 2,871,103 times
Reputation: 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I never said that I don’t have anything in common with my black neighbors. He like me is an American. In that context he is also “my people”. This discussion however is about ethnicity. Those who show pride in, celebrate their heritage as a white person are demonized and attacked as being racist. The black man can talk about “his people”, the Hispanic can talk of “his people” all in the context of their shared ethnicity but when we white people do it we are supposed to be ok with a leftist wagging his finger at us and saying “no no” you whites cannot do that or your a racist. I guess what I am saying is I will do as I please and would encourage all other white people to do the same. I will say it again, political correctness has no place in a free society.
What is white heritage in america at this point? I mean what do whites who descend from Irish have any commonality with whites who descend from Germans? We do not share the same food or the same religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top