U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2019, 10:24 PM
 
8,171 posts, read 4,623,897 times
Reputation: 10368

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I never said that I don’t have anything in common with my black neighbors. He like me is an American. In that context he is also “my people”. This discussion however is about ethnicity. Those who show pride in, celebrate their heritage as a white person are demonized and attacked as being racist. The black man can talk about “his people”, the Hispanic can talk of “his people” all in the context of their shared ethnicity but when we white people do it we are supposed to be ok with a leftist wagging his finger at us and saying “no no” you whites cannot do that or your a racist. I guess what I am saying is I will do as I please and would encourage all other white people to do the same. I will say it again, political correctness has no place in a free society.
I’ve never been shamed going to the city’s Oktoberfest or Celtic Festival. Not even considered that a notion. Those sorts of events celebrate heritage in an inclusive way.

Like the “war on Christmas”, you’d have to be an awfully big ‘snowflake’ to really believe that is happening from my perspective anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2019, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,753 posts, read 7,674,617 times
Reputation: 11281
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
What is white heritage in america at this point? I mean what do whites who descend from Irish have any commonality with whites who descend from Germans? We do not share the same food or the same religion.
Go to Wisconsin or Michigan and tell me you donít understand the German heritage and itís contribution to our heritage. Go to Boston or New York and tell me you donít understand the cultural contribution of the Irish. What do the white people of America have in common??? Our ancestors built this country together, they shared their different Northern European foods and cultures with each other. Their culture became American culture. They invented the modern world together. They made the electric light, the airplane, put America on wheels, modern medicine, TV and radio, the computer and developed the digital age. We have a great deal in common and our white ancestors made the world a better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 10:44 PM
 
8,171 posts, read 4,623,897 times
Reputation: 10368
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Go to Wisconsin or Michigan and tell me you don’t understand the German heritage and it’s contribution to our heritage. Go to Boston or New York and tell me you don’t understand the cultural contribution of the Irish. What do the white people of America have in common??? Our ancestors built this country together, they shared their different Northern European foods and cultures with each other. Their culture became American culture. They invented the modern world together. They made the electric light, the airplane, put America on wheels, modern medicine, TV and radio, the computer and developed the digital age. We have a great deal in common and our white ancestors made the world a better place.
And all those things are still very celebrated.

Don’t confuse acknowledging the faults of someone like Christopher Columbus with shame of being “related” to him. Or wanting to no longer acknowledge his accomplishments. That’s the distinction I think you may be missing. It’s a higher level of patriotism to still love your country after publicly acknowledging its faults and wanting to improve them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 10:50 PM
 
Location: California
1,829 posts, read 537,420 times
Reputation: 3459
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Go to Wisconsin or Michigan and tell me you donít understand the German heritage and itís contribution to our heritage. Go to Boston or New York and tell me you donít understand the cultural contribution of the Irish. What do the white people of America have in common??? Our ancestors built this country together, they shared their different Northern European foods and cultures with each other. Their culture became American culture. They invented the modern world together. They made the electric light, the airplane, put America on wheels, modern medicine, TV and radio, the computer and developed the digital age. We have a great deal in common and our white ancestors made the world a better place.
Canít rep you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 10:50 PM
 
13,718 posts, read 4,230,319 times
Reputation: 4104
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
As I stated before, I have no respect for political correctness and I see you are offended by a white person referring to other white people as his/her own people. Political correctness has no place in a free nation. I refuse to be told it is wrong for me to identify with MY OWN people like that. In fact I am proud of the history and accomplishments of my people (British heritage). No liberal has the right to degrade our history or accomplishments as a people. I am really over all the anti white and obligatory white guilt thing. Done with it.
Me too. And I'm over open borders and mass immigration intended or having the effect of diluting our people in our own nation. I'm pretty much over anything and everything liberals propose or support. They are not acting in good faith or honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,914 posts, read 11,876,533 times
Reputation: 4431
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Itís not that I don't care. Itís just that I care about other things more. There are many other things that I care about, that I will not have the opportunity to vote for, because no single politician has all the same views on all issues that I do. I wish there was. We all have to pick and choose what is most important to us. That is the whole point of voting. It is not a lie that I care. If I said I care more about that issue than any other issue, THAT would be a lie.
Again, you are creating a false choice when you make the argument about prioritizing. You dont have to vote for the homophobe on the ballot. You choose to.

If you truly cared, you wouldnt compromise that principle, you would vote for someone who actually stood for what you believed in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,914 posts, read 11,876,533 times
Reputation: 4431
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's always about priotities clisest to home.
i have no problem with that argument, but if you truly believe in something, you dont compromise your principles .

So you cant tell me you support gay people and then vote for some of these Republicans, at that point you are just lying and saying the "politically correct" thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 11:17 PM
 
8,171 posts, read 4,623,897 times
Reputation: 10368
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
i have no problem with that argument, but if you truly believe in something, you dont compromise your principles .

So you cant tell me you support gay people and then vote for some of these Republicans, at that point you are just lying and saying the "politically correct" thing.
Exactly, equal treatment of others(no sort of prejudice based simply on who they are beyond their control) is something no one should make a compromise on, unless they just honestly feel they are better than them.

Last edited by notnamed; 08-19-2019 at 11:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 11:30 PM
 
13,718 posts, read 4,230,319 times
Reputation: 4104
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Exactly, equal treatment of others based simply on who they are beyond their control is something no one should make a compromise on, unless they just honestly feel they are better than them.
I think heterosexual and homosexual are not equal and shouldn't be treated equally. That's not just based on religious beliefs. So I reject your argument and make no apologies for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 11:40 PM
 
8,171 posts, read 4,623,897 times
Reputation: 10368
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I think heterosexual and homosexual are not equal and shouldn't be treated equally. That's not just based on religious beliefs. So I reject your argument and make no apologies for it.
Reject it? You just proved it.

You do compromise on that because you do think you’re better than them.

Refreshingly honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top