Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 09:24 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,531,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between coming out for it TODAY than in the 90s-2000s. Is that not understood by Most?
Yeah, it didn't suit their political needs back then.

They never cared about gay people but only votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 09:25 PM

18,429 posts, read 15,177,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Thats cool, no harm no foul

You cant claim to care about gay people and then "prioritize" away their rights, its shows the inherent lie in claiming you care.

To be clear, you can either vote for someone else in the primary and if your guy loses, write in someone better in the general. You dont have to vote for the homophobe just because you agree on taxes. thats a cop out.
It’s not that I don't care. It’s just that I care about other things more. There are many other things that I care about, that I will not have the opportunity to vote for, because no single politician has all the same views on all issues that I do. I wish there was. We all have to pick and choose what is most important to us. That is the whole point of voting. It is not a lie that I care. If I said I care more about that issue than any other issue, THAT would be a lie.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:29 PM

9,451 posts, read 10,753,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I have no association with ANYONE who would say something like white people and "his[her] own people". THAT person is not MY people. No way.
As I stated before, I have no respect for political correctness and I see you are offended by a white person referring to other white people as his/her own people. Political correctness has no place in a free nation. I refuse to be told it is wrong for me to identify with MY OWN people like that. In fact I am proud of the history and accomplishments of my people (British heritage). No liberal has the right to degrade our history or accomplishments as a people. I am really over all the anti white and obligatory white guilt thing. Done with it.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:43 PM

858 posts, read 421,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yeah, it didn't suit their political needs back then.

They never cared about gay people but only votes.

It's almost like they're politicians LOL

Old 08-19-2019, 09:46 PM

17,199 posts, read 12,088,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
It's almost like they're politicians LOL
Yeah and in reality a politicians personal views shouldn’t matter at all. Their job is to represent the people, not themselves. Don’t really have a problem with “flip-flops” or “evolved positions”. That’s the job description.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
As I stated before, I have no respect for political correctness and I see you are offended by a white person referring to other white people as his/her own people. Political correctness has no place in a free nation. I refuse to be told it is wrong for me to identify with MY OWN people like that. In fact I am proud of the history and accomplishments of my people (British heritage). No liberal has the right to degrade our history or accomplishments as a people. I am really over all the anti white and obligatory white guilt thing. Done with it.
Do you really have more in common with someone in Britain over a fellow American of a different race though?

I’m white of German and Irish descent, but I’ve got more in common with my black Marine neighbor than a random German.

Not enough folks acknowledging that is the root of our division.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Do you really have more in common with someone in Britain over a fellow American of a different race though?

I’m white of German and Irish descent, but I’ve got more in common with my black Marine neighbor than a random German.

Not enough folks acknowledging that is the root of our division.
I never said that I don’t have anything in common with my black neighbors. He like me is an American. In that context he is also “my people”. This discussion however is about ethnicity. Those who show pride in, celebrate their heritage as a white person are demonized and attacked as being racist. The black man can talk about “his people”, the Hispanic can talk of “his people” all in the context of their shared ethnicity but when we white people do it we are supposed to be ok with a leftist wagging his finger at us and saying “no no” you whites cannot do that or your a racist. I guess what I am saying is I will do as I please and would encourage all other white people to do the same. I will say it again, political correctness has no place in a free society.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:18 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,476,585 times
Quote:
I never said that I don’t have anything in common with my black neighbors. He like me is an American. In that context he is also “my people”. This discussion however is about ethnicity. Those who show pride in, celebrate their heritage as a white person are demonized and attacked as being racist. The black man can talk about “his people”, the Hispanic can talk of “his people” all in the context of their shared ethnicity but when we white people do it we are supposed to be ok with a leftist wagging his finger at us and saying “no no” you whites cannot do that or your a racist. I guess what I am saying is I will do as I please and would encourage all other white people to do the same. I will say it again, political correctness has no place in a free society.
What is white heritage in america at this point? I mean what do whites who descend from Irish have any commonality with whites who descend from Germans? We do not share the same food or the same religion.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I’ve never been shamed going to the city’s Oktoberfest or Celtic Festival. Not even considered that a notion. Those sorts of events celebrate heritage in an inclusive way.

Like the “war on Christmas”, you’d have to be an awfully big ‘snowflake’ to really believe that is happening from my perspective anyway.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
What is white heritage in america at this point? I mean what do whites who descend from Irish have any commonality with whites who descend from Germans? We do not share the same food or the same religion.
Go to Wisconsin or Michigan and tell me you don’t understand the German heritage and it’s contribution to our heritage. Go to Boston or New York and tell me you don’t understand the cultural contribution of the Irish. What do the white people of America have in common??? Our ancestors built this country together, they shared their different Northern European foods and cultures with each other. Their culture became American culture. They invented the modern world together. They made the electric light, the airplane, put America on wheels, modern medicine, TV and radio, the computer and developed the digital age. We have a great deal in common and our white ancestors made the world a better place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies