U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

11,261 posts, read 10,320,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Nah. Maher has a whole history of broad brushing and trading in stereotypes. Here's a couple:

Comparing One Direction member Zayn Malik with Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (the Boston Marathon bomber) isn't facts nor poll results.

In a March 2011 interview with Representative Keith Ellison, the first elected Muslim Member of the U.S. Congress, Maher referred to the Qur’an as a “hate filled Holy Book.” In the same interview, Maher described Islam as a “culture in its medieval era” and a “culture of suicide bombings,” disagreeing with Rep. Ellison’s statements to the contrary and instead referencing commentary by Sam Harris, who identifies as an atheist and is not a scholar of religions.
The comparison was just a joke, and a pretty tame one by my standards. I cant stand what whimpering wusses we have become. Everyone is so damn sensitive about the stupidest stuff. I would hate to be a comedian in this era. Everything you say is going to offend SOMEONE, somewhere. Sure, there are lines. There always have been, but these days the lines have been moved so far to the left that the only way to be safe is to not say anything at all. It’s pretty sad.

Keith Ellison? You mean the Keith Ellison who has close ties to Farrakhan? I haven’t read the Qur’an, but if it says the same stuff that hate filled, Farrakhan says, then it is a hate filled book. Farrakhan preaches from the Qur’an, doesn’t he?

But more to the point, Maher is anti religion. He likely says the same exact thing about the Old Testament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM

40,732 posts, read 40,315,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The comparison was just a joke, and a pretty tame one by my standards. I cant stand what whimpering wusses we have become. Everyone is so damn sensitive about the stupidest stuff. I would hate to be a comedian in this era. Everything you say is going to offend SOMEONE, somewhere. Sure, there are lines. There always have been, but these days the lines have been moved so far to the left that the only way to be safe is to not say anything at all. It’s pretty sad.

Keith Ellison? You mean the Keith Ellison who has close ties to Farrakhan? I haven’t read the Qur’an, but if it says the same stuff that hate filled, Farrakhan says, then it is a hate filled book. Farrakhan preaches from the Qur’an, doesn’t he?

But more to the point, Maher is anti religion. He likely says the same exact thing about the Old Testament.
That poster you quoted who said that Sam Harris isn't a scholar of Religion couldn't have been more wrong. Harris is very knowledgeable about Islam in particular. Where he pulled that from was a joke.

The problem with the big 3 three is that they all have passages that can be taken out of context or whatever. Judaism and Christianity went though a reformation of sorts it's why you have so many a la carte types in those religions. Islam being a "newer" religion hasn't gone through the same.

Sam Harris is always pulling out stats and studies and polling data that basically says and references things like how 80 percent of Muslims have no problems with gays being maltreated up to and including death.

Things like its ok to drop them head first off of 4 story buildings. You know, pleasantries like that.

Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM

10,171 posts, read 6,731,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That poster you quoted who said that Sam Harris isn't a scholar of Religion couldn't have been more wrong. Harris is very knowledgeable about Islam in particular. Where he pulled that from was a joke.

The problem with the big 3 three is that they all have passages that can be taken out of context or whatever. Judaism and Christianity went though a reformation of sorts it's why you have so many a la carte types in those religions. Islam being a "newer" religion hasn't gone through the same.

Sam Harris is always pulling out stats and studies and polling data that basically says and references things like how 80 percent of Muslims have no problems with gays being maltreated up to and including death.

Things like its ok to drop them head first off of 4 story buildings. You know, pleasantries like that.
Sam Harris is a neuroscientist. He ain't a theology scholar, except to be a relentless atheist. LOL.

Sure, he's a smart guy, but that doesn't mean he's free of trading in cheap stereotypes and broadbrushing, as you've just nicely noted above.

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

10,171 posts, read 6,731,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
That's just a few.

Well, there's an old saying that in humor, it's better to laugh at yourself and tweak the powerful. Punching down generally doesn't work well.

Kind of why Dennis Miller stopped being funny when he started to align himself with Ronald Reagan and his ilk.

I don't think much of the other things Maher was saying about Muslims was meant to be funny.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...am-ben-affleck

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

40,732 posts, read 40,315,363 times
Quote:
Sam Harris is a neuroscientist. He ain't a theology scholar, except to be a relentless atheist. LOL.

Sure, he's a smart guy, but that doesn't mean he's free of trading in cheap stereotypes and broadbrushing, as you've just nicely noted above.
Well, I'd take his word on the subject of Islam over yours.

Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM

Quote:
That's just a few.

Well, there's an old saying that in humor, it's better to laugh at yourself and tweak the powerful. Punching down generally doesn't work well.

Kind of why Dennis Miller stopped being funny when he started to align himself with Ronald Reagan and his ilk.

I don't think much of the other things Maher was saying about Muslims was meant to be funny.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...am-ben-affleck
Come on, you don't really believe that!

Dennis Miller was never funny.

The Affleck clip? I have posted that, myself. It is full of actual data, which Affleck can’t defend. He just kept respecting the same thing over and over again, calling it Islamophobic to recognize things, like the fact that like 80% of Egyptians believe death was the appropriate sentence for eating the religion. This was directly from a Pew poll. How can you argue with that?

Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,783,177 times
Bill Maher will die of shame to know his biggest fan base is the white conservative bigots. He want so Much to be with the cool kids..

Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Bill Maher will die of shame to know his biggest fan base is the white conservative bigots. He want so Much to be with the cool kids..
I’m sorry to tell you that his biggest fan base is probably still with the liberal bigots. Your fantasies of him “dying of shame” are just wishful thinking on your part. Liberals still love him.

Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM

8,563 posts, read 8,948,109 times
More of the widening division on the left. They will be completely fractured soon.

Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM

353 posts, read 129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
More of the widening division on the left. They will be completely fractured soon.

Fractured but whole lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies