U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 12:05 PM

10,905 posts, read 13,788,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Actually, he's made a lot of Islamophobic statements...maybe that's why he appeals to right wingers? Kind of like Sam Harris.
Not sure if they are "phobic" or just truth. Guess it depends on which side you are on.

Being afraid of someone because of the actual ideas they hold in their heads isn't necessarily illogical never mind a phobia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 12:15 PM

10,171 posts, read 6,731,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I guess if stating facts and reciting poll results is “Islamophobic” then yes, he is.
Nah. Maher has a whole history of broad brushing and trading in stereotypes. Here's a couple:

Comparing One Direction member Zayn Malik with Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (the Boston Marathon bomber) isn't facts nor poll results.

In a March 2011 interview with Representative Keith Ellison, the first elected Muslim Member of the U.S. Congress, Maher referred to the Qur’an as a “hate filled Holy Book.” In the same interview, Maher described Islam as a “culture in its medieval era” and a “culture of suicide bombings,” disagreeing with Rep. Ellison’s statements to the contrary and instead referencing commentary by Sam Harris, who identifies as an atheist and is not a scholar of religions.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:16 PM

10,171 posts, read 6,731,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Not sure if they are "phobic" or just truth. Guess it depends on which side you are on.

Being afraid of someone because of the actual ideas they hold in their heads isn't necessarily illogical never mind a phobia.
You could be right - he could be just plain bigoted.

Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM
Status: "You showed me mercy and all I can do is say Thank You." (set 28 days ago)

1,523 posts, read 299,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

That is exactly correct!

Look at how Juan Williams was fired for simply saying that after 911 he's nervous when he sees a Muslim wearing a prayer cap board his plane. Juan Williams is foolishly progressive, yet they still raked him over the coals for having the audacity to say the truth.

Bill Maher, as a Jew raised Catholic, knows damn well that Tlaib is a hypocritical hack. He spoke the truth about BDS and how dangerous they are. 92% of the Dems in Congress called them out as being an anti-semitic group.

The Dems have a real problem with the stance the fraud squad has taken. Tlaib cries foul and that Israel wants to silence her then she turns around a cries foul on Maher and she wants to shut him up.

Sorry, the progressive world is regressive and filled with racist and bigoted hypocrites. They are sad unhappy humans who want everyone else to be as freakin miserable as they are.

Last edited by Originalist; Yesterday at 09:16 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM

3,332 posts, read 1,783,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
That is exactly correct!

Look at how Juan Williams was fired for simply saying that after 911 he's nervous when he sees a Muslim wearing a prayer cap board his plane. Juan Williams is foolishly progressive, yet they still raked him over the coals for having the audacity to say the truth.

Sorry, the progressive world is regressive and miserable.

George Bush, despite being a Repub, had the leadership to come out in support of Muslims who had nothing to do with the 9/11 terrorists who were Saudis. As much as I respect him, Williams was wrong. He succumbed to bias. That is not a positive quality in anyone, much less in a journalist. What does he think of a white cop with a gun? Would you care to know?

Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

18,816 posts, read 9,202,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Nah. Maher has a whole history of broad brushing and trading in stereotypes.
Well Maher, first and foremost is a comedian, and entertainer. Just like Jimmy Kimmel, and Stephen Colbert.
They are there to get viewers. I don't understand how you can do that by purposely alienating at least half your audience, but I am not in that business.

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

3,332 posts, read 1,783,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Well Maher, first and foremost is a comedian, and entertainer. Just like Jimmy Kimmel, and Stephen Colbert.
They are there to get viewers. I don't understand how you can do that by purposely alienating at least half your audience, but I am not in that business.

When did being a comedian excuse one from being bigot? or being a rapist?

Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
Status: "You showed me mercy and all I can do is say Thank You." (set 28 days ago)

1,523 posts, read 299,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
George Bush, despite being a Repub, had the leadership to come out in support of Muslims who had nothing to do with the 9/11 terrorists who were Saudis. As much as I respect him, Williams was wrong. He succumbed to bias. That is not a positive quality in anyone, much less in a journalist. What does he think of a white cop with a gun? Would you care to know?
EVERY Republican president has been labeled a racist and a bigot by the Dems since Reagan. It's a false claim they go back to every cycle.

I am not saying Williams was correct, righteous, whatever. I'm saying everyone has the right to feel as they do and to voice their opinions. A persons political beliefs shouldn't have spit to do with keeping their job, much less a proven progressive liberal being fired for saying he worries about Muslims boarding his plane after 9/11.

There are reasons people hold certain beliefs. I'd bet most New Yorkers who lived through 9/11 feel/felt exactly as Williams does. It is completely unfair if they can't express those feelings and are suppressed simply because it doesn't fit a political meme.

There's only one party shutting people up and ignoring their 2nd rights. There's only one side that is dead silent when liberal groups are actively beating people in the streets to shut them up.

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

11,261 posts, read 10,320,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
When did being a comedian excuse one from being bigot? or being a rapist?
Maher is a rapist now?

Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

360 posts, read 38,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Maher is a rapist now?

He rapes the minds of feeble progressives with his humor and whit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies