U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 04:44 AM

758 posts, read 305,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Carrying a loud whistle instead of a gun has been recommended to me by an expert on self-protection. Any gun is more likely to be used to harm yourself or a loved one. No one ever committed suicide with a loud whistle. It's not just me saying this, it's numerous experts.
https://moderncombatandsurvival.com/...omen-and-kids/
Travis T, here in America, we are free to choice that we feel is best for our own individual protection needs. I can respect you and your views of firearms, as long as you can respect my views relating to the ownership of firearms. I think that we run into issues when one side claims to know what's right for everybody, when in fact, nobody can speak for everybody since we all have our own views on the many issues the U.S. is currently facing.

I'll agree with you that nobody has ever committed suicide with a whistle, but if somebody, who doesn't have access to a firearm, they can still effectively and easily commit suicide by taking a "pill cocktail," jumping off of a tall building or bridge, lock themselves in a garage with a running car, crash a car into a solid object at a high speed and so on.

Are we going to ban medicine, tall buildings/bridges and cars to help reduce the suicide rates in the U.S.??

If the suicide rates are directly linked to firearms ownership, than why do both South Korea and Japan have the highest suicide rates in the world? Which is approximately twice as high as the suicide rates hear in the U.S. Both South Korea and Japan have some of the world's toughest gun law, so these people are killing themselve without the use of a firearm... Using the faulty past belief, both South Korea and Japan should be two of the most safest countries on this planet!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:21 PM
Status: "but it depends on what the definition of "is" is." (set 21 days ago)

3,781 posts, read 668,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Travis T, I seriously hope you're joking with this whistle thing... How long do you think a harden thug is going to let you blow that whistle BEFORE he cracks your head wide open? .... You're from my neck of the woods, here in the PNW. ... Plus, if you work or ever visit downtown Seattle, good luck in having the police there within 8-10 minutes to save you....
I lived in Seattle for a decade but now live on the Eastside. For those not familiar with Seattle geography, there's a huge lake east of Seattle. If you cross the lake, you're in the Eastside suburbs where there is little crime, in contrast to the city.

I don't often go to Seattle any more. I'm still a fan of classical music, so I have to travel there to see the best performances. When I do, I now contract with a local security agency that supplies an armed guard and driver for the evening. They drive us across the lake, and wherever we go, they tag along. It's an expense, but worth it just for peace of mind.

Bottom line, you don't need a personal firearm, much less assault weapon. Trust me, a loud whistle is the better option.

Old Today, 04:07 PM

10,037 posts, read 5,588,991 times
Quote:
I lived in Seattle for a decade but now live on the Eastside. For those not familiar with Seattle geography, there's a huge lake east of Seattle. If you cross the lake, you're in the Eastside suburbs where there is little crime, in contrast to the city.

I don't often go to Seattle any more. I'm still a fan of classical music, so I have to travel there to see the best performances. When I do, I now contract with a local security agency that supplies an armed guard and driver for the evening. They drive us across the lake, and wherever we go, they tag along. It's an expense, but worth it just for peace of mind.

Bottom line, you don't need a personal firearm, much less assault weapon. Trust me, a loud whistle is the better option.

How to say it?

"Liberator is surrounded by 1, 2, 3 pursuit ships. They are using siege tactics, trying to knock down our shields until we are too weak to run. Okay, this ship has done all of the firing. It will be low on power so we don't have to worry about it. This ship has done none of the firing. That's Travis's (sorry, no relation, is just the way the lines worked out) ship. Okay, we're going for it, not over or around it but THROUGH it."

"A ram?"

"The hull should be able to take it. That will only leave us with one ship to deal with."

OKAY, that's me. I am not going to fight a passive defensive battle. I am going to him, put them in the hospital, be it the ER or the morgue, and get the hell out of there. I am going through them.

Why?

BECAUSE I BELIEVE IT!

Old Today, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
How to say it?

"Liberator is surrounded by 1, 2, 3 pursuit ships. They are using siege tactics, trying to knock down our shields until we are too weak to run. Okay, this ship has done all of the firing. It will be low on power so we don't have to worry about it. This ship has done none of the firing. That's Travis's (sorry, no relation, is just the way the lines worked out) ship. Okay, we're going for it, not over or around it but THROUGH it."

"A ram?"

"The hull should be able to take it. That will only leave us with one ship to deal with."

OKAY, that's me. I am not going to fight a passive defensive battle. I am going to him, put them in the hospital, be it the ER or the morgue, and get the hell out of there. I am going through them.

Why?

BECAUSE I BELIEVE IT!
HUH?

I trust my armed security and driver. They are always polite, professional, and competent. They are more than a match for any Seattle street ruffians. See--you DO NOT need a privately-owned firearm for protection, even in the most dangerous of areas.

Yes, it's an expense, but it's not as much as buying 20-30 guns and thousands of bullets.

Old Today, 04:42 PM

9,937 posts, read 4,467,754 times
Quote:
HUH?

I trust my armed security and driver. They are always polite, professional, and competent. They are more than a match for any Seattle street ruffians. See--you DO NOT need a privately-owned firearm for protection, even in the most dangerous of areas.

Yes, it's an expense, but it's not as much as buying 20-30 guns and thousands of bullets.
You serious? An armed body guard?

Old Today, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
You serious? An armed body guard?
It's only on occasion, when I have to travel to Seattle in order to see the classical music performances that I can't get over here on the Eastside, where the crime rate is so low that armed security is unneeded.

Old Today, 04:49 PM

10,547 posts, read 6,385,507 times
Quote:

If the loud whistle, a warm latte, and an intimate hug is a better option, why hire an armed body guard ? Which, i call BS on anyway.

Old Today, 08:33 PM

35,826 posts, read 32,529,503 times
Quote:
HUH?

Do they have a wet bar? If so can I get the number? Most Limos with security don't allow booze. I'll be up there next month. Scantily clad driver a plus. Oh, female please That's kind of important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies