U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:47 PM

16,801 posts, read 14,211,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
This is bound to get political very fast so I thought I would put it here.

I could hear the disappointment in his voice, she's gone again, his mind questioning why.

Oh, well! Like it has been said ............. ROMANA (II): One for casual, one for best.

So how about your family?
Guns in our family were considered tools. They were not glamorized, made into fashion accessories, extensions of manhood, or any of that marketing nonsense. If another was needed it was bought after consideration and if it was expensive my parents discussed it.

Any purchases which cause tension in a family are a symptom of a larger problem, guns included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:50 PM

16,801 posts, read 14,211,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Can someone translate this? Please.
She is trying to equate purchasing another gun as a sort of shopping addiction. It’s actually part of the new marketing of many guns to women to make guns some sort of fashion statement, cutesy “look I got new shoes I don’t need!”, in order to make them more collectible to women. It is stupid.

Old Today, 02:59 PM
Status: "but it depends on what the definition of "is" is." (set 18 days ago)

3,722 posts, read 656,401 times
Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would need more than 1 or 2 guns. There are folks out there with 20-30 guns. You don't have 20-30 cars; why would you have 20-30 guns?

Old Today, 03:25 PM

18,712 posts, read 9,164,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would need more than 1 or 2 guns. There are folks out there with 20-30 guns. You don't have 20-30 cars; why would you have 20-30 guns?
Some are collectors, and others do many different types of shooting and hunting, then there are self defense needs. So if you hunt small game, birds, and larger game like deer you are going to have at least three or for different rifles, pistols, or shotguns as all are used for various game. If you target shoot, you will have guns specialized for those. Self defense is a different requirement.

Twenty - Thirty guns is not a large collection for many. Yes, someone may not "need" all of them, but hen why should "need" be the only basis for buying things? People don't need a 1,500 piece coin collections, or several pieces of art, watches, multiple homes, luxury cars, etc. They are FREE to buy them because we live in a free society where others don't tell us what we can have.

Old Today, 03:26 PM

10,011 posts, read 5,579,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
She is trying to equate purchasing another gun as a sort of shopping addiction. It’s actually part of the new marketing of many guns to women to make guns some sort of fashion statement, cutesy “look I got new shoes I don’t need!”, in order to make them more collectible to women. It is stupid.
Actually, "she's gone again" is a line from the Carly Simon song "Jesse".

Romana II is a justification to why you need more than one.......and it's classic Dr. Who.

As far as why I needed another one, the primary selection went astronomical in price so I changed mission requirements to something that was more affordable.......but since the rest of my family are liberals, they probably would not understand.
EDIT: Finally, I don't do shoes.......I wear BOOTS!

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; Today at 03:40 PM..

Old Today, 03:30 PM

35,754 posts, read 32,504,251 times
Quote:
If you hunted you would know that you can't hunt legally everything with just even a few firearms.

You can't hunt ducks with a rifle
elk with a dove gun

in other cases it can be legal just stupid. Like hunting coyotes at 200 yards with a handgun. There are some that can but specialized and then you would need even more firearms.

Old Today, 03:31 PM

10,518 posts, read 6,379,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
This is bound to get political very fast so I thought I would put it here.

I could hear the disappointment in his voice, she's gone again, his mind questioning why.

Oh, well! Like it has been said ............. ROMANA (II): One for casual, one for best.

So how about your family?
It isn't a big deal. I generally don't share that kind of info. I did have a custom gun built, took 5 years, i did show that one off. Everyone thought it was nice.

Old Today, 03:35 PM

10,518 posts, read 6,379,059 times
Quote:
If i could afford it, and had the room, i'd have at least 5 or 6 boats, definitely more than 20 cars, 4 or 5 SxS's, a few dirt bikes, a few snowmobiles, at least 10 watches, 20 or more knives and more than 20 firearms

Yeah, i see no problems with it.

Old Today, 03:53 PM

5,341 posts, read 3,699,266 times
Quote:
We DO NOT tolerate any firearms in my household. I have an excellent security system, and good insurance in the unlikely event of intruders. Outside the house, I carry pepper spray and a loud whistle as my self-protection. And I have received training in dialoguing techniques to deal with unruly strangers.
Sounds like you’ve got all your bases covered, especially with a loud whistle.

Old Today, 03:59 PM
Status: "but it depends on what the definition of "is" is." (set 18 days ago)

3,722 posts, read 656,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Sounds like you’ve got all your bases covered, especially with a loud whistle.
It is an option often recommended by experts. Much better than a gun, and legal in all 50 states:

Quote:
When you think of a self-defense weapon a whistle may not be the first thing that comes to mind but believe me a whistle is one of the best self-defense weapons that you can have! This isn’t an ordinary whistle....

And yes, of course, a whistle is perfectly legal in the State of California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies