U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM

8,986 posts, read 3,999,637 times

Advertisements

I was totally apolitical until around 2005 when on the Corvette Forum discussing manual vs automatic transmissions, some guy mentions 'prying my cold dead fingers off' the gearshift. A vivid hand gun reference for me. That got me wondering why a transmission choice could be political...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

23,759 posts, read 12,532,211 times
I'm not necessarily a fan of 'politics' -- the game the red and blue sides play.

I'm more concerned with policy.

I'm fascinated with the blind loyalty to parties.

Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM

14,964 posts, read 9,249,417 times
I sort of got half interested when Ross Perot was ready running he was scrappy but I liked his business sense unlike the curry administration he knew what he was talking about. Things got more interesting when Clinton/Obama came into office. Trump has my full attention now.

To me politics was pointless as a whole the rich stay rich making money off the rest of us. Nothing really truly changes for better or for worse.

Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM

880 posts, read 278,166 times
Vietnam police action and learning of gulf of ton kin resolution

Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM

8,986 posts, read 3,999,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
Vietnam police action and learning of gulf of ton kin resolution
That was bigger than anything today! I had friends and acquaintances on both sides and managed to stay about all out of it. Even with the Draft which I avoided with the Lottery.

Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM

443 posts, read 159,705 times
I was blissfully uninterested in it, living my best years in the 80's in a softening dictatorship of a country I was raised to love, expecting it to peacefully transition into capitalism and democracy.

Then a war broke out in which my own two ethnic groups started shooting at each other. It left me deeply said, confused and angry, mostly with myself, wondering how on earth I couldn't see it coming.

That's when I became interested in forces shaping the conflict I was witnessing. Of course, they had existed before and even around me, but I realized that with my upbringing, being as it was, I didn't have the means to see them for what they were.

Years after, I read in a book, 'Black Swan' , musings of its author, Nassim Nicholas Taleb about the war in Lebanon that he as Lebanese also couldn't see coming. Now that's certainly a mind better than mine. I found some consolation right there.

Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM

17,955 posts, read 11,384,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberDaviesx View Post
i would say from quite a young age mainly my family , my family were big labour supporters so would regularly support them and i got involved with them.

Up until 2016, I could care less about politics, and then, Donald Trump was elected. It made me realize how fragile our Democracy is and how quickly the wrong person could destroy it. It was a wake up call for me.

Old Today, 12:12 AM

5,106 posts, read 5,110,098 times
If you know how and why minority always bend majority to its will you know everything there is to know about human race Politics is a tool for that purpose. Learning about it is not exactly inspirational.

Old Today, 01:21 AM

30,666 posts, read 20,257,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
It's hard not getting into politics living in the U.S. Basically, I was curious why everyone hated W. Bush back in the day, so I did my own reading & thought a lot of it was uncalled for. I voted for him & other Republicans. Now I'm more liberal.

I've also done some reading of Noam Chomsky & watched some of his documentaries about how the corporations & the rich control the country. Also, how corrupt the U.S. is, & how basically everyone but the 1% is screwed. It's a pretty sad state the more you read about U.S. history & also our history of systemic racism, sexism etc. Now I'm on board for Bernie or Warren or basically any politician that's actually for the people.
"the people"?

Are Trump supporters not "the people"?

Old Today, 01:28 AM

30,666 posts, read 20,257,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I became interested after seeing the taxes removed from my first paycheck.
Jimmy Carter made me a Reagan supporter.

The taxes taken out of my check each week has kept me in the conservative camp since that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or