U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:35 AM

30,834 posts, read 33,700,401 times

Advertisements

Probably started when Bill Clinton won because I was charmed by him, like most people, but even then I wasn't actually all that interested in politics because I was busy living life with a couple young kids and whatnot. I knew where I stood on some issues but didn't care about most things, I just assumed our government was full of "the best and the brightest" and they would make sure everything worked out. When Obama was elected it was historic and I was in a place where I knew more about life and could pay attention to things a little closer. I read articles used the internet to look into stuff. In 2016 the only thing I knew for sure was I couldn't vote for Hillary, but I was shocked when Trump became the nominee and secretly amused when he won. I've paid obsessively close attention to things since then, especially to the lunacy coming from the left, and honestly hope he wins again for reasons too numerous to go into here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:33 AM

9,280 posts, read 10,990,606 times
My parents discussed politics and current events with us at the dinner table. My father loved a good debate and could play a great game of devil's advocate.

Old Today, 03:04 AM

1,672 posts, read 368,373 times
Initially, tenth grade, had to read a history book and give a presentation to the class. Read "All the President's Men" Woodward/Bernstein. Also in 10/11th grade had a couple of teachers who instilled that keeping up w/ current events was a citizen's responsibility. Spent a lot of years in Germany as part of our military and visited concentration camps, Hitler's Eagles Nest, Zepplin Field - and learned that if people didn't pay attention to political leaders and the direction that their country is going, things could go very wrong.

Old Today, 04:30 AM

6,564 posts, read 3,652,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I was, believe it or not, just seven years old when I became interested. It was 1960, and I heard people talking about Nixon and Kennedy, and then one of my schoolmates or cousins made the remark that Kennedy was in favor of having school in session six days a week all year round. Of course, I did not like the idea one little bit, and so I asked my mom and dad about it, and after they stopped laughing, they told me that I shouldn't believe everything I heard or read -- and especially not in an election year! After that, I started watching the news on TV, and . . . well, the rest is history, LOL!
I watched the Kennedy Nixon debates on TV when I was 11. Before the election I went to the library and got a list of all the electoral votes for each state. Wrote everything down on yellow legal pad. As the results came in I added the numbers. He now needs this states votes, etc., etc., to put him over the top. We lived in NY and I begged my parents to let me stay up to wait for the West Coast results to come in. They wouldn't.

While my parents were Democrats, and Catholic, they thought I was nuts with all this. But Dad did say that at least I was practicing my Math!

Old Today, 05:46 AM

144 posts, read 56,663 times
Both my parents voted Republican but we never discussed politics in our household. I think it was in 1987, my husband told me to listen to some guy on the radio named Rush Limbaugh. I started listening to him and even though I worked, I would take my lunch hour between 12 and 1:00 and sit in my car and listen to him. I no longer listen to him but I still follow politics, even though I find the political discourse today to be depressing. I voted for Trump, I'm glad I did and will vote for him again!

Old Today, 06:22 AM

7,089 posts, read 1,519,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I watched the Kennedy Nixon debates on TV when I was 11. Before the election I went to the library and got a list of all the electoral votes for each state. Wrote everything down on yellow legal pad. As the results came in I added the numbers. He now needs this states votes, etc., etc., to put him over the top. We lived in NY and I begged my parents to let me stay up to wait for the West Coast results to come in. They wouldn't.

While my parents were Democrats, and Catholic, they thought I was nuts with all this. But Dad did say that at least I was practicing my Math!
Yes, I loved watching the conventions and election night, although not as much since about 1980 or so. Now it seems like which persons will be the nominees are almost a foregone conclusion by the time of the conventions, and the only real suspense is who is going to be nominated for VP (unless the incumbent POTUS and VP run again). The last really exciting night before 2016 was in 2000 -- and look how that turned out! Remember Tim Russert with his white board? Check it out at the 8:00 minute mark below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOaaUackKFQ

(I'm still ticked that Gore did not pursue it, although I do understand why he didn't.)

Old Today, 06:28 AM

7,089 posts, read 1,519,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
My parents discussed politics and current events with us at the dinner table. My father loved a good debate and could play a great game of devil's advocate.
I wish that more parents would do this, but in today's world, how many families still eat dinner together on a regular basis?

From the link below (my italics): A recent survey conducted by Eckrich(R), a product of ConAgra Foods, found that 40 percent of American families eat dinner together only three or fewer times a week, with 10 percent never eating dinner together at all. [end quote] I think that is terrible.

https://www.conagrabrands.com/news-r...at-all-1008335

And a bit of nostalgia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFx69OOMrY4

Old Today, 06:33 AM

67,191 posts, read 34,209,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberDaviesx View Post
i would say from quite a young age mainly my family , my family were big labour supporters so would regularly support them and i got involved with them.
Voting differently and always getting the same thing. One in slow motion and one in the fast lane to making you and me, their property.
Trump is the only person in my lifetime to make it into the office, that does not care about getting rich off government, handouts, kickbacks and patty-whacks. Certainly the only one that has not been in the ruling class club.

Old Today, 08:13 AM

37,551 posts, read 16,624,814 times
I became interested in politics when my state of Calif. started looking like a third world country decades ago. I could see the increase in illegal immigration and how it was negatively impacting our state in so many ways.

Before the 1965 immigration act that Ted Kennedy endorsed you rarely heard a foreign language being spoken out in public. There was a sense of community and comaraderie. A whole assortment of immigrants kept arriving in large numbers who's culture and language was entirely different than ours. What was lost was that sense of community with shared interests.

Old Today, 08:21 AM

17,955 posts, read 11,384,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelliebell View Post
Both my parents voted Republican but we never discussed politics in our household. I think it was in 1987, my husband told me to listen to some guy on the radio named Rush Limbaugh. I started listening to him and even though I worked, I would take my lunch hour between 12 and 1:00 and sit in my car and listen to him. I no longer listen to him but I still follow politics, even though I find the political discourse today to be depressing. I voted for Trump, I'm glad I did and will vote for him again!

Haha, I , too, used to listen to Limbaugh while working in my garage, but I honestly thought his show was a parody, a comedy show. When I figured out that he was being SERIOUS, I couldn't take him any longer !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or