U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

1,263 posts, read 484,095 times

Advertisements

When my father watched the McLaughlin Group religiously and then Saturday Night Live mocking it, was my introduction to politics.

But the bombing of the world trade center in 93 is when I started to follow what was happening and how it was affecting me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM

16,136 posts, read 4,260,553 times
As an outgrowth of the 60's where we and millions of other young people realized that it cannot go on like this...the wars, excess consumerism, pollution, etc.

Unfortunately it HAS GONE ON...fueled by populism and "me me me" and is now being held up by about 1/2 the population that is willing to work for almost nothing and 22 Trillion in debt.....

I never thought fear would be so effective in hypnotizing so many for so long. But, then again, it's the most primal of instincts.

Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM

30,156 posts, read 16,645,414 times
I became disinterested in politics after watching each team repeatedly switch rhetoric and policy with the other.

Oh wait sorry, you said "interested"

Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM

5,312 posts, read 3,795,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Probably started when Bill Clinton won because I was charmed by him, like most people, but even then I wasn't actually all that interested in politics because I was busy living life with a couple young kids and whatnot. I knew where I stood on some issues but didn't care about most things, I just assumed our government was full of "the best and the brightest" and they would make sure everything worked out. When Obama was elected it was historic and I was in a place where I knew more about life and could pay attention to things a little closer. I read articles used the internet to look into stuff. In 2016 the only thing I knew for sure was I couldn't vote for Hillary, but I was shocked when Trump became the nominee and secretly amused when he won. I've paid obsessively close attention to things since then, especially to the lunacy coming from the left, and honestly hope he wins again for reasons too numerous to go into here.
Clinton was in office when we move to the US, so pretty much the same time frame (although I was never charmed by him). Busy raising kids and working on a career prior to that. Still busy raising kids and working on career over the next decade or so, but began developing a real interest in national level politics during that period. Couldn't vote in the 2008 election because I wasn't a citizen yet, but followed the campaign very closely and became very aware that Obama was not being vetted by the media and that I had significant questions about him that moved beyond the soaring rhetoric of healing the planet and stopping the rise of the oceans. Been a political junkie ever since.

Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM

1,275 posts, read 431,702 times
I expect state and local government to recover their former power and importance, but I am not yet at the level of caring enough to attend meetings of councils, commissions, and the legislature, and personally nagging local pols.

Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

12,889 posts, read 8,884,028 times
For me, I would say I got interested when Ross Perot said he would abolish the IRS if he got elected..

Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

37,753 posts, read 16,353,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberDaviesx View Post
i would say from quite a young age mainly my family , my family were big labour supporters so would regularly support them and i got involved with them.
"How did you become interested in politics?"

When I was 6 miles from the DMZ in Nam and johnson STOPPED the bombing of North Viet Nam and we were bombed DAILY!

Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
The truth??

When Democrats latched onto and started bringing in more and more immorality, starting approx in the early 90's.
"starting approx in the early 90's." Started in the 60's!

Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
I became interested in politics when I was a boy in the Bronx. It was about 1960 and my parents were very enthused about JFK. I was aware about the controversy re: his Catholicism.
As a Catholic I didnít understand. My father worked his store 6 days a week. During the summer he closed on Monday in addition to his normal day off which was Sunday. He took one week vacation each year at the same time. It was always the July 4th week. There was public housing recently built a few blocks away from where we lived. My parents didnít own a car. We didnít go away for vacations. My parents always told me we were middle class but I knew differently. I would ask them why the Projects had parking lots. After all, the Projects were for poor people and how could they afford a car when we couldnít. I started noticing a lot of other things then. We went to the local police precinct and joined the Police Athletic League (PAL). It went nowhere. I would read in the newspaper how the PAL had an outing and parties.I went to the precinct and joined again, and again, and again. Things like that made me curious about politics.
"I would ask them why the Projects had parking lots.", filled with Cadillac and Deuce and a Quarters ( Buick Electra 225s, cars and personally owened cabs.

Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

18,748 posts, read 9,179,836 times
I became interested in politics when I saw one party, the Democrats, and one mentality, Liberal/Progressive/PC taking over the largest institutions we have. The Media, Education, most of Government bureacracy, and now Corporate America including Tech, and Social Media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or