U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

68 posts, read 11,682 times

Advertisements

Now that I think back the VERY FIRST political thing I can remember was being given a homework assignment in middle school to watch the state of the union address when Clinton was president and I was hooked. Didn't care for Clinton but that's what got my hooked. Now my son is hooked as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

2,450 posts, read 670,627 times
How did you become interested in politics?

Growing up in the 50's and 60's political debate was the fabric of family gatherings ( Dad a banker (R)and Mom (D) the daughter of a steel worker union leader). It just was always present and loud, no matter which extended branch we were visiting.

Jack and Jackie Kennedy of course were the rage and who didn't have the "ask not" inauguration quote on the tip of their tongue? Then the confusing and horrific assassination and even more confusing Viet Nam. And of course the civil rights movement. So interest was budding in my early childhood school years and into high school.

My strong personal interest and more formed opinions were due to Bobby Kennedy, though. His run for the presidency in the aftermath of JFK's assassination was inspiring. He was transformed from the RFK that people knew as the Attorney General.

When he surfaced again, after his long mourning, he became a political figure who was able to bring poor whites and minorities together. He was convinced we could end division in America. He was a fearless champion for the underrepresented.

He spoke many words that moved many people and the following excerpts are from a speech on the night MLK was assassinated; I can recall watching him on TV, from my college dormitory lounge, as if it was yesterday:

"What we need in the United States is not division; what we need in the United States is not hatred; what we need in the United States is not violence or lawlessness; but love and wisdom, and compassion toward one another, and a feeling of justice toward those who still suffer within our country, whether they be white or they be black.

"The vast majority of white people and the vast majority of black people in this country want to live together, want to improve the quality of our life, and want justice for all human beings who abide in our land.

“Let us dedicate ourselves to what the Greeks wrote so many years ago: to tame the savageness of man and make gentle the life of this world."

Bobby showed us possibilities for a very different kind of America, where all would be equal, could be equal, could have opportunities, could be anything they wanted to be. It was a time that inspired hope from engagement and activism in our political system.

Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM

2,956 posts, read 955,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
The truth??

When Democrats latched onto and started bringing in more and more immorality, starting approx in the early 90's.
Same here. After Bill Clinton was caught bold face lying to America back in the late 90's.

Bill Clinton single-handedly turned the position of President Of The United States into a Farce during his presidency!

He bold face lied. He in fact had a sexual relationship with Monica, in the White House, and then he played word games tap dancing around with the truth after getting caught doing both.

That was just the beginning. After getting involved in politics, I started to understand and realize why I don't agree with Democrats and liberals.

Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

3,642 posts, read 986,046 times
Probably during the 2000 elections. I lived in Florida, and was already questioning things with Florida's butterfly ballot. It would be the first time I could vote too, and as soon as that POS Bush one the election with the help of his brother rigging stuff, first thing that came to my mind is that he is going to get us back in Iraq. I just never imagined he would use 9/11 to do it.

Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

17,496 posts, read 19,753,264 times
Sometime in my college days, I noticed that liberals had some really weird political ideas. I had to look into it further to see if they were joking or not.

I guess I've been interested in politics ever since.

Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM

30,276 posts, read 16,811,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberDaviesx View Post
i would say from quite a young age mainly my family , my family were big labour supporters so would regularly support them and i got involved with them.
Without a doubt it was due to Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky.

Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM

33,504 posts, read 20,337,364 times
Quote:
i would say from quite a young age mainly my family , my family were big labour supporters so would regularly support them and i got involved with them.
One of my uncles was a local politician. My brother wanted to be a politician after his military service. I became interested in politics because of them.

Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM

7,089 posts, read 1,523,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Same here. After Bill Clinton was caught bold face lying to America back in the late 90's.
Bill Clinton single-handedly turned the position of President Of The United States into a Farce during his presidency!

He bold face lied. He in fact had a sexual relationship with Monica, in the White House, and then he played word games tap dancing around with the truth after getting caught doing both.

That was just the beginning. After getting involved in politics, I started to understand and realize why I don't agree with Democrats and liberals.
Clinton was far from being the only bad POTUS. In fact, after 1900, I think it would be easier for me to name the okay-to-good ones than to name all the bad. (GWB and Nixon are at the top of my personal list as far as recent bad presidents, but have you heard of Iran-Contra or the Teapot Dome scandal -- andWatergate made Clinton's affair with Lewinsky seem like no big deal by comparison, imo. And, btw, Clinton was certainly not the first POTUS to be involved in some kind of sex scandal!

https://daily.jstor.org/the-venerabl...l-sex-scandal/

Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM

6,653 posts, read 2,016,329 times
Quote:
I love this question. I didn't grow up paying attention to politics, and it seemed boring to me. My interest was piqued by Clinton. Imagine my surprise in finding that there are some aspects of politics that are very interesting indeed.

Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM

1,200 posts, read 258,289 times
It first clicked for me during an off-hours University lecture by the Physicians of Social Responsibility about the dangers of nuclear warfare. The situation seemed to get better with the fall of the Berlin Wall, but now the threat appears to be returning thanks to Putin. Not a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or