Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 06:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,623 posts, read 17,953,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Minority Report..a pre-crime so give him a pre-trial and a pre-prison sentence.
Well, what would you like to see happen, in the cases of these three young men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 06:56 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Not all murderers would qualify as a nut job.
Then why strip any of their rights if they haven't done anything?

Old 08-18-2019, 06:59 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Report them. If their behavior/threats prove credible, let the justice system deal with them.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:00 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Report them. If their behavior/threats prove credible, let the justice system deal with them.
Right.

That's been done.

What would you like to see happen to them, in the justice system?

Old 08-18-2019, 07:01 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Not all murderers would qualify as a nut job.
That is the issue isn't it. Is talking about a willingness to kill a crime? If not all three will not necessarily be averted mass murderers.

You said if "likely to kill" then put them in a psych ward. What is the standard that needs to be reached?

Old 08-18-2019, 07:01 PM

43,078 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, what would you like to see happen, in the cases of these three young men?
Charge them with criminal intent and then go forward with that.

You think this is the first time someone got caught before they committed the crime ?

Old 08-18-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Charge them with criminal intent and then go forward with that.

You think this is the first time someone got caught before they committed the crime ?
What would you like to see happen to them? (This is becoming tiresome. Can you just say what you'd like to see happen to them and not keep avoiding the question?)

Old 08-18-2019, 07:17 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Right.

That's been done.

What would you like to see happen to them, in the justice system?
If their threats/actions were unlawful, then they need to be convicted and spend some time in the slammer, which would prevent them from legally owning firearms and would take them off the street for a while. If they are deemed to be criminally insane, I'd hope that there was a way to forcefully medicate them, but that's probably wishful thinking.

At the end of the day, you don't need to have acted on a threat to have committed a crime by making the threat. Threats of violence are not protected by the First Amendment.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:35 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
So this is a good step forward, people are aware they have a duty when someone tells them clearly it's their intent to blow up a bunch of people, and they have the firepower to do it, to report them.

But now, what? What do you do with people who have clearly announced their intent, and stockpiled the necessary weapons, but haven't acted on it quite yet?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/18/us/th...led/index.html
Guess what? People cooperating with the police would prevent a host of crimes especially in the most dangerous places in the nation, our inner cities.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:02 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
you know, "kill the quarterback"
and, "kill the messenger", and
"kill the power" will be in
a database somewhere.
Ohhhhhh, I'm in trouble........for I have been in that scene of "Antony & Cleopatra"!

Though, at the risk of sounding paranoid, such things do provide a guide book for one's life lest there is someone looking over their shoulder. How many secret rendezvous might we make, believing (and probably as we should) that it is no one else's business but that those actions might be seen by others as suspicious by those innocent who are nosy and those who might have an ax to grind?

Reminds me when I was doing research out on a jetty in the first decade of this century or doing photo recon of a beach town before it changed when the McMansions moved in. In the weeks before, I made sure that everyone who might have an interest knew what I was doing lest someone call in on that day about little ole suspicious me.

Watch your back.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 08-18-2019 at 11:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies