Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 12:45 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Jack Welch started the trend of the fanatical obsession with stock price, along with things like the 401k.
Ted Benna is credited as the father of the 401K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 12:46 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Jack Welch started the trend of the fanatical obsession with stock price, along with things like the 401k.
IMO the idea of a company pension fell out of favor with employees after seeing the 1970's:

1) Gut the value of pensions with sustained high inflation.

2) Layoffs and job changes killing the idea of working 40 years at the same company.

3) Failed companies so younger workers remember seeing their older friends\family getting 1/2 their promised pension.

#3 of course is looming again after the 2012 passage of pension liability reforms that reduces the amounts companies have to fund their pensions by around 20%. Looking right at GE as an example of a pension that down the road will probably not be fully paying and unless interest rates recover in a meaningful way I think that's highly likely 10 years from now (perhaps less).

Old 08-19-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
IMO the idea of a company pension fell out of favor with employees after seeing the 1970's:

1) Gut the value of pensions with sustained high inflation.

2) Layoffs and job changes killing the idea of working 40 years at the same company.

3) Failed companies so younger workers remember seeing their older friends\family getting 1/2 their promised pension.

#3 of course is looming again after the 2012 passage of pension liability reforms that reduces the amounts companies have to fund their pensions by around 20%. Looking right at GE as an example of a pension that down the road will probably not be fully paying and unless interest rates recover in a meaningful way I think that's highly likely 10 years from now (perhaps less).
A number of factors contributed to the lost pension.
In 1980 38% of companies offered pensions.
By 2008 it was 20%.
I don't know recent stats.
https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v69n3/v69n3p1.html

Also take into mind that employee ideals were shifting as well. They no longer stayed at a company their full working lives. They wouldn't have been vested so what did a pension even matter to them.
They could take their 401K with them and that appealed to them more.
They were more interested in higher pay than lower pay and benefits such as stock purchase, pension, etc.

My son is 29 and he's had more jobs then I have my entire working life and I'm retired now. That is the trend with the younger generations..average time at a job now is 3 years. With a 5-10 year vesting period hardly anyone would get vested so the loss of a pension is really moot.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ho...-a-job-2059796

Old 08-19-2019, 01:12 PM

Funny thing. I've been searching all over to see this list signed by 181 companies.
Wouldn't we want to know who cares more about the community ?
Wouldn't they want us to know as well ?

Nice story though. 181 companies care more about the people than the shareholders only they won't come forward and give their company name.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:10 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
401ks aren't the only retirement pension/account invested in equities, etc. Look at any one of them. They're deeply dependent on corporate profits/gains to fund their payouts.

California's CalPERS (California Public Employee Retirement System), for example...

https://www.calpers.ca.gov/docs/form...eport-2018.pdf
True, I just mentioned the 401k as an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Ted Benna is credited as the father of the 401K.
I did not mean that he also is credited with the 401k, I mean that he is the person responsible for the corporate culture shift to stock prices, along with other items that were emerging like the 401k. But Welch really created the corporate culture of chasing stock price.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:45 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Hmmm...It appears the Business Roundtable might be considering 2 things:

1) Mr.Trump and the GOP will suffer staggering losses in the 2020 election

2) They have a deep fear of what the Warren effect will be on business, and are now trying to get ahead of the changes to come.

Random thoughts:

A great big shout out to Rep. Katie Porter of California's 45th district...keep up the good work!

Corporations cared about their employees and the local community in the mid 20th century. The Reagan revolution turned them into cut throat capitalists.
All good points. Trump was a populist in Name Only, signing whatever the corporate swamp wanted him to. Now people are really sick of the right wing corporate bull****

Old 08-19-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
cnbc, really?
You prefer Alex Jones? Breitbart? Drudge?

Old 08-19-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Funny..I can't find this list of CEO's that signed this new pledge.
Is in the article.

Along with Dimon, the statement received signatures from chiefs including Amazon's Jeff Bezos, Apple's Tim Cook, Bank of America's Brian Moynihan, Dennis A. Muilenburg of Boeing and GM's Mary Barra.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Is in the article.

Along with Dimon, the statement received signatures from chiefs including Amazon's Jeff Bezos, Apple's Tim Cook, Bank of America's Brian Moynihan, Dennis A. Muilenburg of Boeing and GM's Mary Barra.
181 companies signed that list. I'd like to see that list. It's not even on the org's website.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:56 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,540 times
Or How to lose your job as CEO using this one weird trick.

Only a moron looks to corporations for social and economic guidance. What a crock of dung.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies