U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-19-2019, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
12,894 posts, read 8,892,795 times
Reputation: 6594

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Amazed at the silence that your post generated. I do understand that this might be bad news to everyone that actually believed that Trump's tariffs would never affect their pocketbook.

Maybe in their mind, $1000 a years is a small price to pay to "make America great again" (in other words, poorer).

Or, I guess they might decide that J.P. Morgan is simply sending out "fake news".

Somehow they will twist this into a positive, prepare to be entertained.
$1000? Thats chump change compared to the massive burden Obummer saddled every American with when that jackazz increased our unfunded liability by $10 trillion dollars..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2019, 05:42 PM
 
10,032 posts, read 4,702,534 times
Reputation: 13115
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Thatís a blatant lie and you know it: the data is there and is based on a well-understood concept.

Iím not going to continue wasting my time explaining basic economics to the willfully ignorant.

Fortunately the tenets of free-market economics are not based upon one individualís misguided attempts to ignore reality.

Saying that prices increase for many reasons is a blatant lie? You're the one wasting our time with your politically-biased agenda economics that ignore the longstanding tenets of economics that have seen prices rise for multitudes of factors, even in the complete absence of tariffs. The intellectually deficient and dishonest approach you have espoused and supported is revolting. Good riddance to you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 05:43 PM
 
11,180 posts, read 11,037,522 times
Reputation: 5494
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
The truth of the matter is that China is absorbing almost all of the costs of the tariffs, that's a fact.
.
Proof?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 05:46 PM
 
Location: AZ
2,162 posts, read 457,973 times
Reputation: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Saying that prices increase for many reasons is a blatant lie? You're the one wasting our time with your politically-biased agenda economics that ignore the longstanding tenets of economics that have seen prices rise for multitudes of factors, even in the complete absence of tariffs. The intellectually deficient and dishonest approach you have espoused and supported is revolting. Good riddance to you.

There’s that hyperbolic, baseless BS again; quote my “politically-biased agenda-politics”. Understanding basic economics has *nothing to do* with one’s political affiliation.

It’s a blatant lie to claim that the effects of tariffs can’t be proven using data “because many reasons exist “.


Pure BS, through-and-through.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 06:07 PM
 
16,317 posts, read 4,293,062 times
Reputation: 11487
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Wow, just when I thought you couldn't embarrass yourself any further, you post this doozy.

By your logic, we should be seeing prices skyrocketing.
I gave facts. You have poor logic skills.

Almost no tariffs have been implemented. Even if they are (and it will never happen) it will take the good part of a year to filter down due to exemptions, breaks, inventory, etc.

You obviously haven't read my posts in this thread so don't embarrass yourself further. It's complicated. There is almost zero cases where "prices will skyrocket". But they don't have to skyrocket to hit consumer hard over time....and, the effect is always lagging.

Read. Learn.

If everything happened in a month or quarter, Trump would have denuked NK long ago, we'd have better and cheaper health care for all and a Solar Wall would extend 1,000 additional miles along the Mexican border. The budget would be balanced and vastly more tax revenue (vs. expenses) would be coming in.

None of those things are happening or happened. Therefore, you need to contact Trump and his representatives and tell them you've given them 10X the amount of time they needed to "accomplish" these goals...and yet they have not. Tell them they should be embarrassed.

For some reason I don't think you will do that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 06:09 PM
 
1,659 posts, read 328,716 times
Reputation: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I gave facts. You have poor logic skills.

Almost no tariffs have been implemented. Even if they are (and it will never happen) it will take the good part of a year to filter down due to exemptions, breaks, inventory, etc.

You obviously haven't read my posts in this thread so don't embarrass yourself further. It's complicated. There is almost zero cases where "prices will skyrocket". But they don't have to skyrocket to hit consumer hard over time....and, the effect is always lagging.

Read. Learn.

If everything happened in a month or quarter, Trump would have denuked NK long ago, we'd have better and cheaper health care for all and a Solar Wall would extend 1,000 additional miles along the Mexican border. The budget would be balanced and vastly more tax revenue (vs. expenses) would be coming in.

None of those things are happening or happened. Therefore, you need to contact Trump and his representatives and tell them you've given them 10X the amount of time they needed to "accomplish" these goals...and yet they have not. Tell them they should be embarrassed.

For some reason I don't think you will do that.
Your "facts" are wrong. Cellphone and cameras will not be taxed.
Wrong..this is the second batch going through.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 06:13 PM
 
16,317 posts, read 4,293,062 times
Reputation: 11487
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
$1000? Thats chump change compared to the massive burden Obummer saddled every American with when that jackazz increased our unfunded liability by $10 trillion dollars..
Right, because he had time travel and caused the Great Recession and its costs and started the unfunded wars.....and obligated the government to the Bush tax cuts...and on and on.

I am truly wondering whether people believe this crap or are they just intentionally spewing it??

This seems to be the new Right attitude. Everything happens in a day. All the trillions theGWB Recession and GOP led wars and failures to address health care and tax cuts from deficit.....

That all magically went away the very day Obama was elected.....

The chart is very simply - and quite accurate. Tax Cuts, War and lack of addressing problems like health care. In other words, voodoo economics...selfish economics.

The BEST chart
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...s-now-updated/

Tax Cuts and Wars were 1/2 of the debt - wow, that's the 10 million you speak of. The downturn, a GWB deal, was responsible for a lot of the rest.

Own it. It's very real. We'd be at well less than 1/2 the debt without.....Republican Rule.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 06:16 PM
 
9,530 posts, read 2,900,716 times
Reputation: 5715
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
China devalued their currency because they're winning?
And Trump is begging the Fed for a rate cut and quantitative easy, along with billions in bailouts to farmers and postponing additional tariffs because we are?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 06:17 PM
Status: "Try my Sword-Flavored Beef, now with Extra Justice!" (set 18 days ago)
 
1,476 posts, read 842,882 times
Reputation: 2268
My take home $3000.

- Rent is $1550
- Utilities are $200-250
- Gas or Fare Cards are $100-150
- Food is about $500
- Legal fees about $500 ...because a woman with 2 felonies and 6 involuntary commisions to mental institutions in 4 years, including starting crap with cops and, is currently homeless, still has a decent shot of winning custody even though the man has never gotten so much as a traffic ticket, even though if the genders were swapped the man wouldn't stand a snowflake's chance in hell.

Sorry, real personal beef with that last one...

Point being; $2950 of my $3000 take home is going to services from America. I don't think China is the problem here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 06:21 PM
 
9,530 posts, read 2,900,716 times
Reputation: 5715
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Can none of you give me a specific example ?

This is the 2nd of 3 waves of tariffs. What has increased since the first tariff was implemented ?
Included are lists of products that have been affected by tariffs since July 2018. The lists are too voluminous for me to cut and paste on here.
https://www.ecomcrew.com/trumps-china-tariffs/
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top