U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 01:55 PM

11,618 posts, read 6,059,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Well that's a lie.

The computer you are typing on is almost certainly made in China. If not, then most of the components were. Your wireless router was, as is your cable modem or your DSL modem. Your phone was either made in China or South Korea. Your phone case and charger were almost definitely made in China. If you own a bicycle, it's split between Taiwan and China, depending on the manufacturer and the line. Own a tent? Probably made in China. The LED lights in your house? Made in China. And so on.

It's impossible to avoid buying things made in China as they manufacturer pretty much every vertical for export. Even for things "Made in the USA", most of the times, raw materials or fabrics come from Asia.
How often does the average consumer buy these things? Once every 3-10 years?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 01:56 PM

1,659 posts, read 323,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Funny thing is that the major Chinese brand TV (TCL) are SUPER cheap, and they are doing that to gain market share over the other major brands. Part of the reason they can do this is because TVs are now just another data source like social media where your activity is monitored and monitized.
TCL was one of the first brands to embrace embedding Roku.

Brilliant move IMHO and when I was looking for a new TV TCL is the one I got.

43" is now considered the entry point. I got myself a 40" ..plenty big enough for me for $189 on sale at Best Buy.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:57 PM

20,206 posts, read 14,397,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Tariffs, aka taxes.
"Weasel words" aka "We don't have a clue."

Tariffs are expected to cost American households up to $1,000 per year when the next round goes into effect on September 1, according to a new note by J.P. Morgan.

According to the bank’s analysts, the cost of the U.S.-China trade war borne by consumers is likely to rise...
[/quote]

They use weasel words so when they're wrong they can say that's not what they actually said.

It's telling that JP Morgan never says tariffs negatively impact consumption or negatively impact savings which is what you'd see if tariffs really were negatively impacting households.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:57 PM

11,093 posts, read 5,145,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I think it's you who should be embarrassed.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...9-8-1028453869

More fear mongering. LoL

Almost all of the tariffs cost are being absorbed by China right now. If China can't continue to adsorb the tariffs costs (they can't indefinitely), and prices rise, the supply chain shift out of China will accelerate. This is what China is desperately trying to avoid, and why they are willing to absorb the tariffs cost with direct subsidies, and in currency devaluation.

Make no mistake, we are winning the trade war.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
TCL was one of the first brands to embrace embedding Roku.

Brilliant move IMHO and when I was looking for a new TV TCL is the one I got.

43" is now considered the entry point. I got myself a 40" ..plenty big enough for me for $189 on sale at Best Buy.
Yup, and Roku is a huge cog in the wheel of collecting and selling personal data.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:10 PM

17,109 posts, read 11,950,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Tariffs, aka taxes. Remember when the Tea party was apoplectic over such things? Fun times. Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

Tariffs are expected to cost American households up to $1,000 per year when the next round goes into effect on September 1, according to a new note by J.P. Morgan.

According to the bank’s analysts, the cost of the U.S.-China trade war borne by consumers is likely to rise from around $600 per year — based on the first two “phases” of the tariffs on Chinese imports — to around $1,000, based on the third round of tariffs.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/t...115849705.html
GOOD! its worth it!

Same people complaining who elected a guy who said energy prices would skyrocket under his energy plan!!!!!!!!

The alternative is to let China eat our lunch. Ever calculate the cost to date for the Chinese ripping us off???????

Time is right to take a stand and any sacrifice is well worth it.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:14 PM

1,306 posts, read 444,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
How often does the average consumer buy these things? Once every 3-10 years?
For phones, most people in the US are every 2-3 years. Cables? Depends on the user. My dad probably goes through a 2 Lightning cables/year.

The point is that you can't really avoid buying stuff from China like the poster was trying to claim. Hell, the office chair I'm sitting on right now was made in China, as is my office desk lamp.

It's also foolish to think that everything made in China is junk. Sure, you have plenty of Dollar Tree level items that are crap, but you also have big names -- REI, North Face, Levi, Apple, etc, etc that all have large portions of their product lines from China.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:16 PM

8,660 posts, read 1,979,435 times
Tariffs are taxes, and all taxation is theft.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:18 PM

2,157 posts, read 457,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
More fear mongering. LoL

Almost all of the tariffs cost are being absorbed by China right now. If China can't continue to adsorb the tariffs costs (they can't indefinitely), and prices rise, the supply chain shift out of China will accelerate. This is what China is desperately trying to avoid, and why they are willing to absorb the tariffs cost with direct subsidies, and in currency devaluation.

Make no mistake, we are winning the trade war.
Basic economics fail.

The consumer *always* loses with tariffs, as the tarrif’d entities will simply pass the increased costs onto the consumer. Aka Americans.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
For phones, most people in the US are every 2-3 years. Cables? Depends on the user. My dad probably goes through a 2 Lightning cables/year.

The point is that you can't really avoid buying stuff from China like the poster was trying to claim. Hell, the office chair I'm sitting on right now was made in China, as is my office desk lamp.

It's also foolish to think that everything made in China is junk. Sure, you have plenty of Dollar Tree level items that are crap, but you also have big names -- REI, North Face, Levi, Apple, etc, etc that all have large portions of their product lines from China.
Which is exactly why I stated 3-10 years. And cell phone life-cycles are getting longer.

People replace lightning cables that frequently because they are absolute garbage, they could buy one that would last for years by spending a few bucks more.

And again, office chair, stuff from North Face, Levi, REI, all stuff that should be lasting 3+ years.

So again, its not like folks are buying all these things every year, which was my point, its a MUCH longer product life cycle for the average consumer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or