U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 02:25 PM

11,114 posts, read 5,153,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Basic economics fail.

The consumer *always* loses with tariffs, as the tarrif’d entities will simply pass the increased costs onto the consumer. Aka Americans.
And yet we can see that is not the case. Just go look at prices, the tariffs have been in place for over a year, and prices have hardly moved.

If you would have actually read my post, instead of just thrashing on your keyboard, you would know why we are seeing almost no price increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 02:31 PM

11,122 posts, read 9,497,108 times
That's the problem. And that's the reason the trade war has to be fought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Well that's a lie.

The computer you are typing on is almost certainly made in China. If not, then most of the components were. Your wireless router was, as is your cable modem or your DSL modem. Your phone was either made in China or South Korea. Your phone case and charger were almost definitely made in China. If you own a bicycle, it's split between Taiwan and China, depending on the manufacturer and the line. Own a tent? Probably made in China. The LED lights in your house? Made in China. And so on.

It's impossible to avoid buying things made in China as they manufacturer pretty much every vertical for export. Even for things "Made in the USA", most of the times, raw materials or fabrics come from Asia.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:35 PM

2,187 posts, read 460,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
And yet we can see that is not the case. Just go look at prices, the tariffs have been in place for over a year, and prices have hardly moved.

If you would have actually read my post, instead of just thrashing on your keyboard, you would know why we are seeing almost no price increases.
Wrong again; your post was baseless and nonsensical, backed up by uneducated assumptions.

Quote:
But that is not how tariffs work. China’s government and companies in China do not pay tariffs directly. Tariffs are a tax on imports. They are paid by U.S.-registered firms to U.S. customs for the goods they import into the United States.

Importers often pass the costs of tariffs on to customers - manufacturers and consumers in the United States - by raising their prices.

U.S. business executives and economists say U.S. consumers foot much of the bill through rising prices.

White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow has acknowledged that “both sides will suffer on this,” contradicting the president.

Nike Inc and 172 other footwear companies have urged Trump to remove footwear from a list of imports facing a proposed extra 25% tariff, warning the move could cost consumers an additional $7 billion a year.

Walmart Inc, the world’s largest retailer, and department store chain Macy’s Inc have warned that prices for shoppers will rise due to higher tariffs on goods from China.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1SR1UI

Why are we subsidizing farmers with billions, then?

Old 08-19-2019, 02:47 PM

11,114 posts, read 5,153,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Wrong again; your post was baseless and nonsensical, backed up by uneducated assumptions.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1SR1UI

And yet prices have hardly moved, while tariffs have been in place for over a year.

You can thrash on your keyboard all you want, the fact is that prices have hardly moved. If/when prices rise, the supply chain will move.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:49 PM

2,187 posts, read 460,971 times
Quote:
And yet prices have hardly moved, while tariffs have been in place for over a year.

You can thrash on your keyboard all you want, the fact is that prices have hardly moved. If/when prices rise, the supply chain will move.
Where’s your proof for the claim that “prices have hardly moved?”

And I’ll ask this again, since you conveniently ignored the question:

Keep up the gaslighting.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:54 PM

9,577 posts, read 2,909,668 times
Quote:
Weren't the next round of tariffs postponed?

The truth of the matter is that China is absorbing almost all of the costs of the tariffs, that's a fact.

I also noticed they didn't provide any data on how they came to that $1000 estimate.
Then why is Trump postponing those tariffs he was going to impose on China until December? I say let those Chinese go ahead and pay for those too! LOL>

Trump isn't stupid enough to think that tariffs aren't hurting Americans, including farmers. Why do you think he's pressuring the Fed to lower interest rates by 1% and implement quantitative easing?

And that is the truth of the matter.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:58 PM

9,577 posts, read 2,909,668 times
Quote:

Obviously the CD politics forum is the only place you visit on the internet.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/13/this...get-worse.html
https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...514-story.html
https://www.americanactionforum.org/...s-new-tariffs/

But I know it's all fake news unless it comes from your own little mind.

1,792 posts, read 399,021 times
Quote:

better not shop Walmarts

https://www.ibtimes.com/walmart-incr...tinues-2792636

Walmart, Inc., the largest retailer in the U.S. and the the world's largest company by revenue, will raise prices on some products as a result of President Donald Trump’s higher tariffs on Chinese goods.

Walmart is boosting its prices despite its lower reliance on China for its products compared to other retailers. Much of the products sold by Walmart come from the U.S. and South America. Walmart’s grocery operation, which includes fresh food, contributes 56 percent of the company’s total revenue

In its announcement made Thursday, Walmart CFO Brett Biggs said “increased tariffs will lead to increased prices, we believe, for our customers." Biggs, however, promised Walmart will “continue to do everything we can to keep prices low.”

24,747 posts, read 12,194,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Well that's a lie.

The computer you are typing on is almost certainly made in China. If not, then most of the components were. Your wireless router was, as is your cable modem or your DSL modem. Your phone was either made in China or South Korea. Your phone case and charger were almost definitely made in China. If you own a bicycle, it's split between Taiwan and China, depending on the manufacturer and the line. Own a tent? Probably made in China. The LED lights in your house? Made in China. And so on.

It's impossible to avoid buying things made in China as they manufacturer pretty much every vertical for export. Even for things "Made in the USA", most of the times, raw materials or fabrics come from Asia.
Not impossible. I built my computer using locally sourced parts. My computer has a hard connection and the modem made in Germany. I got Dish Network but use my own DVR made in S. Korea. My phone is a flip phone by Motorola made in Japan. My vehicles have no parts from China. I use incandescent bulbs made in USA. No LED. No bicycle. No tent.

Nothing from China.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:01 PM

1,659 posts, read 337,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
That article is dated May and full of "will become" and "might increase" and would not identify any items that "might" increase.

So...this is August. Tell us which prices increased at Walmart and by how much and that it was directly due to tariffs.

Target imports more than Walmart so where's Target's doom and gloom article ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or