U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 03:03 PM

2,187 posts, read 460,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Not impossible. I built my computer using locally sourced parts. My computer has a hard connection and the modem made in Germany. I got Dish Network but use my own DVR made in S. Korea. My phone is a flip phone by Motorola made in Japan. My vehicles have no parts from China. I use incandescent bulbs made in USA. No LED. No bicycle. No tent.

Nothing from China.
And those “locally sourced parts” were manufactured where? Who makes your motherboard? Fans? Hard drives? Video card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 03:05 PM

10,078 posts, read 4,712,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Weren't the next round of tariffs postponed?

The truth of the matter is that China is absorbing almost all of the costs of the tariffs, that's a fact.

I also noticed they didn't provide any data on how they came to that $1000 estimate.

And not even a $1000 estimate as they used the magic two words that are always used when trying to sensationalize a number - up to.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
If prices don't go up then the trade deficit with China will stay the same or increase...and then China will be happy. The whole point is that prices MUST go up, which is the reason for tariffs.

Unless, of course, the Chinese currency loses value to the same degree as tariffs increase.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
"Costing you money" is mostly invisible. The cellular network, internet, baseline auto parts industry and vast numbers of other industries use Chinese products. If your internet bill goes up $5 a month next year and it's partially due to more expensive equipment, you will never know the cause. If your brake job is $20 more...same goes.

It sure will take a lot of that to add up to $1000. As if the prices of those things never increase without tariffs. But you can bet the libheads will attribute every dollar of every price increase to "tariffs".

Old 08-19-2019, 03:11 PM

24,747 posts, read 12,194,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
And those “locally sourced parts” were manufactured where? Who makes your motherboard? Fans? Hard drives? Video card?
Singapore, Taiwan, USA and SKorea.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That article is dated May and full of "will become" and "might increase" and would not identify any items that "might" increase.

So...this is August. Tell us which prices increased at Walmart and by how much and that it was directly due to tariffs.

Target imports more than Walmart so where's Target's doom and gloom article ?
Straight from the New York Fed.

Quote:
But a new report published Friday from the New York Federal Reserve shows that may not be the case for businesses in New York, northern New Jersey, and southwestern Connecticut.

In the supplemental questions to the Empire State Manufacturing and Business Leaders Survey, more manufacturers and business leaders said that tariffs and trade-war policy have pushed up prices and reduced profits compared to 12 months ago.

US consumers are paying more for products either imported from China or made with parts imported from there. Meanwhile, companies have said they would have to raise prices, and that downward pressure on earnings could lead to serious declines in stock prices. Some corporations are also hiring less amid escalating trade tensions, hurting US workers.

According to the survey, 79% of manufacturers and 60% of service firms said that recent increases in tariffs have raised input costs at least slightly. An additional 14% of manufacturers and 12% of service firms said that the increases were substantial. All numbers represented a marked increase from the August 2018 survey.

Going forward, the survey showed that businesses expect to pay higher prices for goods they purchase and expect that prices on goods they sell will also go up. Manufacturers and service firms expect that tariffs and trade policies will continue to have a negative impact of just under 40% for both 2019 and 2020.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...9-8-1028453869

Old 08-19-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Singapore, Taiwan, USA and SKorea.
What manufacturer still makes drives in the US? What’s the manufacturer for the parts in question?

Old 08-19-2019, 03:18 PM

1,659 posts, read 337,179 times
Quote:
Did you click on the link in that article and actually read the Fed report ?
I posted earlier excerpts from it.

Do you realize that "they" are pushing the "globalization is good" agenda ?
Do you realize that globalization is what led to the loss of jobs in the US and for the US turning into a consumer nation ?

Old 08-19-2019, 03:18 PM

30,747 posts, read 20,286,217 times
Quote:
Well, if they don't cost anything then they are not effective.

Trumps don't seem to believe in the real world....the idea being that the reason for tariffs is too make Americans buy less stuff from the target country, therefore "hurting" them.....

It's gotta be one or the other.

I doubt they will cost $1,000 only because THEY NEVER WILL HAPPEN TO ANY EXTENT. Just like Trump shutting down the Mexican border didn't cost us much.

They are costing business a LOT tho...in chaos.

What's wrong with the communist Chinese helping to pay down our debt with their portion of the tariffs?

For all the ridiculous hysterics from the born-again fiscal conservatives on the left, the tariffs sure do seem to solve more problems than they create.

Just don't see anything here except manufactured poutrage from Democrats desperate for anything to use against Trump.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Where’s your proof for the claim that “prices have hardly moved?”

And I’ll ask this again, since you conveniently ignored the question:

Why are we subsidizing farmers with billions, then?

Keep up the gaslighting.

The farmers are being subsidized because they have been selectively targeted by China, who hopes that directing all the effects onto a small group will cause such hardship for that group that they will become symbolic of the entire issue. However, the subsidies given to farmers are less than the tariffs collected and the farmers are a wee tiny percentage of all Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or