Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 05:46 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,099,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Saying that prices increase for many reasons is a blatant lie? You're the one wasting our time with your politically-biased agenda economics that ignore the longstanding tenets of economics that have seen prices rise for multitudes of factors, even in the complete absence of tariffs. The intellectually deficient and dishonest approach you have espoused and supported is revolting. Good riddance to you.

There’s that hyperbolic, baseless BS again; quote my “politically-biased agenda-politics”. Understanding basic economics has *nothing to do* with one’s political affiliation.

It’s a blatant lie to claim that the effects of tariffs can’t be proven using data “because many reasons exist “.

Pure BS, through-and-through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 06:07 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Wow, just when I thought you couldn't embarrass yourself any further, you post this doozy.

By your logic, we should be seeing prices skyrocketing.
I gave facts. You have poor logic skills.

Almost no tariffs have been implemented. Even if they are (and it will never happen) it will take the good part of a year to filter down due to exemptions, breaks, inventory, etc.

You obviously haven't read my posts in this thread so don't embarrass yourself further. It's complicated. There is almost zero cases where "prices will skyrocket". But they don't have to skyrocket to hit consumer hard over time....and, the effect is always lagging.

Read. Learn.

If everything happened in a month or quarter, Trump would have denuked NK long ago, we'd have better and cheaper health care for all and a Solar Wall would extend 1,000 additional miles along the Mexican border. The budget would be balanced and vastly more tax revenue (vs. expenses) would be coming in.

None of those things are happening or happened. Therefore, you need to contact Trump and his representatives and tell them you've given them 10X the amount of time they needed to "accomplish" these goals...and yet they have not. Tell them they should be embarrassed.

For some reason I don't think you will do that.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:09 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I gave facts. You have poor logic skills.

Almost no tariffs have been implemented. Even if they are (and it will never happen) it will take the good part of a year to filter down due to exemptions, breaks, inventory, etc.

You obviously haven't read my posts in this thread so don't embarrass yourself further. It's complicated. There is almost zero cases where "prices will skyrocket". But they don't have to skyrocket to hit consumer hard over time....and, the effect is always lagging.

Read. Learn.

If everything happened in a month or quarter, Trump would have denuked NK long ago, we'd have better and cheaper health care for all and a Solar Wall would extend 1,000 additional miles along the Mexican border. The budget would be balanced and vastly more tax revenue (vs. expenses) would be coming in.

None of those things are happening or happened. Therefore, you need to contact Trump and his representatives and tell them you've given them 10X the amount of time they needed to "accomplish" these goals...and yet they have not. Tell them they should be embarrassed.

For some reason I don't think you will do that.
Your "facts" are wrong. Cellphone and cameras will not be taxed.
Wrong..this is the second batch going through.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
$1000? Thats chump change compared to the massive burden Obummer saddled every American with when that jackazz increased our unfunded liability by $10 trillion dollars..
Right, because he had time travel and caused the Great Recession and its costs and started the unfunded wars.....and obligated the government to the Bush tax cuts...and on and on.

I am truly wondering whether people believe this crap or are they just intentionally spewing it??

This seems to be the new Right attitude. Everything happens in a day. All the trillions theGWB Recession and GOP led wars and failures to address health care and tax cuts from deficit.....

That all magically went away the very day Obama was elected.....

The chart is very simply - and quite accurate. Tax Cuts, War and lack of addressing problems like health care. In other words, voodoo economics...selfish economics.

The BEST chart
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...s-now-updated/

Tax Cuts and Wars were 1/2 of the debt - wow, that's the 10 million you speak of. The downturn, a GWB deal, was responsible for a lot of the rest.

Own it. It's very real. We'd be at well less than 1/2 the debt without.....Republican Rule.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:16 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
China devalued their currency because they're winning?
And Trump is begging the Fed for a rate cut and quantitative easy, along with billions in bailouts to farmers and postponing additional tariffs because we are?

Old 08-19-2019, 06:17 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times
My take home $3000.

- Rent is $1550
- Utilities are $200-250
- Gas or Fare Cards are $100-150
- Food is about $500
- Legal fees about $500 ...because a woman with 2 felonies and 6 involuntary commisions to mental institutions in 4 years, including starting crap with cops and, is currently homeless, still has a decent shot of winning custody even though the man has never gotten so much as a traffic ticket, even though if the genders were swapped the man wouldn't stand a snowflake's chance in hell.

Sorry, real personal beef with that last one...

Point being; $2950 of my $3000 take home is going to services from America. I don't think China is the problem here.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:21 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Can none of you give me a specific example ?

This is the 2nd of 3 waves of tariffs. What has increased since the first tariff was implemented ?
Included are lists of products that have been affected by tariffs since July 2018. The lists are too voluminous for me to cut and paste on here.
https://www.ecomcrew.com/trumps-china-tariffs/

Old 08-19-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Your "facts" are wrong. Cellphone and cameras will not be taxed.
Wrong..this is the second batch going through.
What are you talking about? When is Trump gonna close the Mexican border? You speak of the 11,000 lies he tells as if they are established fact. In one hour Tim Apple made Trump roll back the cell phone deal until the end of the year. That's 100's of billions of dollars worth of product.

Talk to me when those are implemented and exceptions aren't made...which is likely never.

Again, I don't think you desire to learn. For you to quote his "schedule" as if it is fact and that he has followed through on other such things...means you don't learn from actual events.

Small tariffs or short-term tariffs won't affect much....I paid 6% tariffs on imports from Europe decades ago and it was the norm. There are always tariffs and it's the cost of doing business.

BUT, throwing about large tariffs as a punishment...or "war" is not the same thing.

It's hardly worth discussion since most all who really know have agreed Trump already lost. Everyone who gets his ear for 5 minutes will have an exemption (like Apple)...and, after all, if you don't implement the tariffs on the biggest selling products, then why do them at all?

Small tariffs are often in line with currency fluctuations and other costs...I'd often make more money from buying futures (on the money owed) then I paid in tariffs. That is, you lock in an exchange rate when it is favorable.

But the point stands....that IF (big IF) tariffs were ever to succeed, they'd have to harm the US Customer since the whole idea is for customers to buy less stuff. If customers buy just as much for the same prices then there is no punishment except to shareholders and US Businesses, which I don't think is good policy.

Although, with Trump....who hates American Business, this may just make sense.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:28 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
There’s that hyperbolic, baseless BS again; quote my “politically-biased agenda-politics”. Understanding basic economics has *nothing to do* with one’s political affiliation.

It’s a blatant lie to claim that the effects of tariffs can’t be proven using data “because many reasons exist “.

Pure BS, through-and-through.

Lies and hatred of the man and party in power causing you to twist and distort economics. Many reasons do go into price increases. You proudly pimped a chart showing an increase in prices end of 2018 and I simply pointed out the same chart showed a bigger increase in prices in 2011.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:32 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Included are lists of products that have been affected by tariffs since July 2018. The lists are too voluminous for me to cut and paste on here.
https://www.ecomcrew.com/trumps-china-tariffs/
Yes I've seen the list several times and even posted a link to USTR.

But which specific product went up in the past year due to the tariff ?
Tell me what costs more today on the Walmart shelves due to the tariff ?

Is it Quaker Oats ? Is it Purina pet food ?

No one can tell me but everyone can point to that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies