U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

12,201 posts, read 7,475,901 times

Advertisements

At the end he is talking about people making it look like they're having so much fun, when in fact it's all a lie to make themselves look good. I don't know about all that, because I have more fun than most people I know and so do a lot of my friends. But... When I meet someone who seems lonely and would like to have that life, I'm not shy about telling them where they can go to get it. Easily. Often inexpensively. If they are local I'll even offer to meet up with them and bring them in the door. I'm not dangling something that isn't attainable for pretty much anybody. And there are more introverts there, than any other kind of people, it doesn't have to stop someone.

I mean yanno...I understand that my scene is not for everyone. But what is interesting to me is that some of these sorts of people, when I've invited them to come have a good time with the rest of us, will sneer at it. Judge, mock, shame, and feel weirdly smug that they are somehow better sitting at home, alone. Or I have given clear instructions to someone here who constantly complains about loneliness, and he says, "I didn't go, I was too nervous" and then minutes later he's here complaining about how lonely and miserable he is...again. Well you were told how to go find some cool new friends, so...

So it's not just cell phones...there are plenty of folks having a good life who have a cell phone. It's not just getting picked last in gym. It's not looks, some of these shooters have been decent looking people if you didn't know anything about them but a photo. It's not wealth, or height, it's not anything that simple. It is some strange blend of factors that keeps certain people just...stuck. Factors likely with roots in their upbringing.

Somehow it is just more comfortable to direct one's own course of failure, rather than to take an uncomfortable chance. If you don't even try, at least failure is certain. And you can stay home where it is safe, and complain, and at least then you'll find some folks online to give you some validation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM

30,270 posts, read 16,811,544 times
Maher is spot on. Social media is not real life. On social media - most of us show only the GOOD parts of our lives - not the whole picture.

If someone is an a depression - thinking the entire world is having a party except YOU - can be hard.

I know my son went through a depression his junior year in college; he had moved to a big city; new college and it was HARD making friends at first. He deleted a lot of his social media apps off his phone until he got through it.

Now he's the one sharing the great part of his life on instagram, etc.

Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM

22,654 posts, read 9,647,438 times
Bill Maher is a comedian. If you don't like him, don't watch.

I seriously doubt any of the young men sitting with their stockpile of ammo and weapons are watching him. They sort of lean to extreme alt-right publications and websites for inspiration. If Trump is not responsible for all the crap he spews (as the faithful claim), one can hardly attack a comedian, who is being laughed at on purpose.

Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM

12,148 posts, read 4,144,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They're loners/dateless because they are mentally ill, have terrible personality flaws and zero social skills. Some just have serious anger problems, a lifetime of rage, aggression and acting out. Parents and therapists don't even know what to do with them, they are powder kegs. But parents need to keep an eagle eye on their troubled kids, they need to know all of their social media and what they are up to.
Every country has these type of people not just the US, however in most countries they can go to their local doctor for no charge, be refered to local Community Psychiatric Team including Community Paychiatric Nurses and Social Workers and can be detained uner the mental health act if they are deemed you pose a danger to themselves or society.

They are also not allowed guns, indeed the medical records or criminal records in reation to serious violence will red flag it in most countries.

Most are just grateful that people care enough about them to stop them hurting themselves and members of the public being encouraged to chat and show empathy with suicidal people has seen trhe suicide rate in counries such as the UK plummet. So intervention and breaking down the stigma around mental health issues especially among males, who don't tend to talk about their feelings, does actually work.

Male suicide drops to lowest level in 30 years amid reduced mental health stigma - The Telegraph

Rail suicides fall after Samaritans course - BBC News

Meanwhile in the US, the suicide rate is the highest since WW2.

Suicide Rates Are the Highest They've Been Since WWII | Time

US suicide rate at its highest since the end of the second world war - New Scientist

Last edited by Brave New World; Yesterday at 03:01 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

12,237 posts, read 6,795,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Bill Maher is a comedian. If you don't like him, don't watch.

I seriously doubt any of the young men sitting with their stockpile of ammo and weapons are watching him. They sort of lean to extreme alt-right publications and websites for inspiration. If Trump is not responsible for all the crap he spews (as the faithful claim), one can hardly attack a comedian, who is being laughed at on purpose.
Dayton shooter was far left. Had kill lists. Crazy and angry is crazy and angry. They don't need inspiration.

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

52,390 posts, read 42,142,715 times
Quote:
Dayton shooter was far left. Had kill lists. Crazy and angry is crazy and angry. They don't need inspiration.
Yeah, the guy that attacked the gay club in Orlando wasn't exactly a "right winger" either.

People are bad and crazy across the political spectrum.

Those seeking to politicize it are just displaying their own hate and biases.

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

24,651 posts, read 12,162,450 times
I live alone, and I am a machine gun dealer, better watch out.

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

7,123 posts, read 2,591,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
So basically mass shooting will stop once they perfect sex robots.
Pretty much. More enjoyable outlet for pent up energy, wouldn't you say?

And while smarmy and annoying, Maher makes a good overall point. The gun isn't doing the killing, it is simply a tool for venting rage, and the rage is what does the killing. If any of the mass shooter nutbars had been doing anything positive, fun, engaging or interesting with their daily life, with or without other people, besides surfing social media...they'd be less reactive and hostile. Maybe that stops them, maybe it doesn't, but it couldn't hurt to offer up positive feedback or something.

I am no champion of censorship obviously, but like Bill Maher said, social media is not a reality, it's a fantasy that has narration that makes people feel like it is reality. It's a way for cliques to take their snobbery global. The impetus behind it isn't new, it's just harder to tune out than it used to be, where you had to watch MTV to find out how uncool you were, and now it follows you around on your phone. There's a reason I don't have instagram or snapchat on my phone.

Now add in echo chambers where all the uncool can anonymously build more rage, and sprinkle in some busted wires here and there....and yeah, a pretty toxic brew is in the kettle. But you can't stop it by banning this that or something else. Best thing anyone can do to "help" is to be nice to others, in real, actual life. The ounce of prevention from simply being pleasant to one another can be the pound of cure that gets the dissociated back from their social vacuum. Not a panacea, because nothing is, but in general, the kind word and smile still works wonders.

Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM

14,342 posts, read 6,204,807 times
Quote:
They're loners/dateless because they are mentally ill, have terrible personality flaws and zero social skills. Some just have serious anger problems, a lifetime of rage, aggression and acting out. Parents and therapists don't even know what to do with them, they are powder kegs. But parents need to keep an eagle eye on their troubled kids, they need to know all of their social media and what they are up to.
Very true! It doesn’t matter what’s on social media. They’ll glob on to anything. But I do believe the media plays its part with the massive coverage of these mass shooters’ “manifestos”. If they are seeking attention, they see that the other shooters got plenty after they did the deed.

I read an article the other day about how the media was asked to cut down their reports on the postal workers who committed workplace shootings one after another back in the ‘80s (when they coined the phrase “going postal”). Once they cut down the reports the shootings essentially stopped. It was a different world back then with only news shows on the major networks and newspapers, but it did work.

Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM

6,951 posts, read 3,839,390 times
Yep, spot on.
I never miss an episode of Bill's show. He's almost always right on the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies