Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: It Would Be Very Concerning if Trump Refused to Debate
Yes 23 33.82%
No 45 66.18%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 06:47 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,832,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
There have been some comments alluding to Trump possibly not wanting to participate in the typical three debates with the future Democratic nominee. Would Trump supporters care if he refused?
...sounds like wishful thinking by someone(s)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 07:12 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,576,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Trump lives for the spotlight and he is so good when he goes off the teleprompter or off the hammered in talking point scripts that so many politicians rely on. Granny Warren can talk up an angry torrent or regurgitated talking points but when she has to go off the cuff she is like a deer in the headlights.

I think Trump is looking forward to the debates and it would be a shame if he skips them but who could blame him for doing so when we all know that no matter what he says it will be twisted by the Lefty media to no end.
I really hope its that unhinged koop Bernie Sanders that ends up on the debate stage with Trump! Old commie Bernie would probably have a coronary after getting destroyed by Trump-Hahahahah

Old 08-20-2019, 07:21 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,145,485 times
It worked for him last time. I don't think there is a voting soul in America that doesn't already have their minds made up about him at this point. If he could behave himself a debate could actually help him. But I doubt he could behave himself.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:29 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,042,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
It worked for him last time. I don't think there is a voting soul in America that doesn't already have their minds made up about him at this point. If he could behave himself a debate could actually help him. But I doubt he could behave himself.
If Trump behaved himself in a debate he would reveal how intellectually shallow and unprepared he is. So he has to insult and bully to avoid a fiasco.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:01 AM

732 posts, read 387,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
If Trump behaved himself in a debate he would reveal how intellectually shallow and unprepared he is. So he has to insult and bully to avoid a fiasco.
They are all intellectually shallow. 'Unprepared' is just short for 'didn't memorize mini-speeches on the 8 most likely topics'.

Personally, I think these debates are valueless. With the exception of someone like Richard Nixon, US Presidential candidates aren't well-versed enough in much of anything to give a good account of themselves.

I think an interesting exercise would be to stick any of these people on stage without notes for a couple of hours, choose a general topic for them, and just let them talk. You'd find out how little anyone really knows in something of a hurry, The Great and Powerful Obama would have been laughable in that setting.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:02 AM

2,923 posts, read 970,417 times
He isn't going to refuse to debate anyone that is nothing but nonsense. If he did it would look very poor in my eyes but its not going to happen. Strategically it would be a yuge missed opportunity for him. All he has to do is go up there and be pro-America everything and let the dems be pro-everyone else and he will win with most moderates.

Now if they make Rachel Moddow or Cooper the moderator that could be grounds for refusing. Or if it comes out that the democrats are leaked the questions again then I wouldn't blame him.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:07 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,576,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
They are all intellectually shallow. 'Unprepared' is just short for 'didn't memorize mini-speeches on the 8 most likely topics'.

Personally, I think these debates are valueless. With the exception of someone like Richard Nixon, US Presidential candidates aren't well-versed enough in much of anything to give a good account of themselves.

I think an interesting exercise would be to stick any of these people on stage without notes for a couple of hours, choose a general topic for them, and just let them talk. You'd find out how little anyone really knows in something of a hurry, The Great and Powerful Obama would have been laughable in that setting.
Exactly! How many of those DIM candidates kept to referring to us as a democracy?

Old 08-20-2019, 08:08 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,042,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post

Well, as much as I disliked Hilary, she did seem to do her homework. She always came across as smart and well prepared. But that wasn't enough to overcome her off-putting personality. Not to mention all the baggage she had accumulated over the years.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:09 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,838,946 times
The staunch supporters would give him a pass on anything. As long as he keeps promising to keep the brown people at bay.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:09 AM

34,882 posts, read 30,982,886 times
I really wouldn't care.

Unless the economy takes a nosedive or Yang/Gabbard get the nomination, I'm likely voting for Trump. We don't necessarily need a head-to-head to know where both stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies