U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,872 posts, read 15,647,186 times
Reputation: 11590

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
April Ryan isn't a politician and this was a private event.


So........


Also, were you denouncing the President when he wanted Acosta banned from the WH press room?

He was invited by the organizers to cover the event.

Acosta, Ryan, and others continually harp on freedom of the press when they feel threatened to do their jobs... yet they will not allow others the freedom of the press to do their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 08:39 AM
Status: ""making all of his nowhere plans for nobody..."" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Columbia, SC
7,580 posts, read 4,550,515 times
Reputation: 9043
The bodyguard was charged with assault. I'm on the side of the reporter here after getting more of the facts since the incident was
posted here initially. I will say that sometimes one hand does not know what he other is doing at these events. Just because the organizers invited the reporter to be there does not mean the hotel did or that the speaker knew about it. When I was at the press, we would sometimes get press releases to come cover events and when we got there would be told we couldn't come in. Or sometimes they would invite TV to come and then tell us no video. Well, we're TV. That's kinda what we do.

I was one time threatened with arrest by a hospital security guard when the PIO for the local police told us to meet him on hospital grounds for an interview for something that happened there an hour before. The PIO had not cleared it with the hospital for any of us to be there.

This is not to absolve the security guard for what he did, just to explain things better. These security guards sometimes think they have way more authority than they really have. (After my time in TV news, I then worked in security some)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:42 AM
 
17,493 posts, read 8,834,888 times
Reputation: 10076
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
April Ryan isn't a politician and this was a private event.


So........


Also, were you denouncing the President when he wanted Acosta banned from the WH press room?
After Acosta’s violent behavior, he should have been banned. He should have been removed at that moment. He’s been relatively quiet since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:44 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
9,185 posts, read 8,066,584 times
Reputation: 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
He was invited by the organizers to cover the event.

Cool. That's an issue for Ryan and the organizers of the event, then.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Acosta, Ryan, and others continually harp on freedom of the press when they feel threatened to do their jobs... yet they will not allow others the freedom of the press to do their job.


Apples and footballs. I'm not saying Ryan should have had this guy removed - I don't know anything about the backstory and I honestly couldn't care less about it.


I'm simply saying this is irrelevant from a national perspective. Since I don't live in NJ, care about Ryan or what award she might have won, read the New Brunswick Today, etc....





If this had been a contributor to Fox instead of CNN, would you still care? I wouldn't care any more if it had been Hannity instead of Ryan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:46 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
9,185 posts, read 8,066,584 times
Reputation: 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
After Acosta’s violent behavior, he should have been banned. He should have been removed at that moment. He’s been relatively quiet since.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:50 AM
 
1,154 posts, read 204,592 times
Reputation: 675
We started 2016 complaining of Snowflakes on the left complaining about everything that happens in the world.

Fast forward to 2019, now the Right is just as much a snowflake as the left, what happened?

I have done this before where I ask someone to stop filming my speech because I sell my talks, it’s how I make income on public talks. So I don’t allowing filming in my talk even if the event as a whole allows it. It’s personal preference of the speaker at a private event. Now if I’m on a panel then I follow the organizations set rules because I’m one of many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:54 AM
 
19,603 posts, read 17,640,688 times
Reputation: 10704
Well, maybe it was fake news journalists only and the real news journalist wasn't allowed. It's CNN, they don't like real news journalists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,872 posts, read 15,647,186 times
Reputation: 11590
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Apples and footballs. I'm not saying Ryan should have had this guy removed - I don't know anything about the backstory and I honestly couldn't care less about it.


I'm simply saying this is irrelevant from a national perspective. Since I don't live in NJ, care about Ryan or what award she might have won, read the New Brunswick Today, etc....





If this had been a contributor to Fox instead of CNN, would you still care? I wouldn't care any more if it had been Hannity instead of Ryan.
CNN is relevant nationally (unfortunately) - and Ryan is a CNN personality.

The point of hypocrisy to point out is that they use the freedom of the press argument when it works for them, and they toss aside the freedom of press argument when it works for them.

Conclusion - they really don't don't care about press freedom. They only want what works for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:56 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
9,185 posts, read 8,066,584 times
Reputation: 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The bodyguard was charged with assault. I'm on the side of the reporter here after getting more of the facts since the incident was
posted here initially. I will say that sometimes one hand does not know what he other is doing at these events. Just because the organizers invited the reporter to be there does not mean the hotel did or that the speaker knew about it. When I was at the press, we would sometimes get press releases to come cover events and when we got there would be told we couldn't come in. Or sometimes they would invite TV to come and then tell us no video. Well, we're TV. That's kinda what we do.

I was one time threatened with arrest by a hospital security guard when the PIO for the local police told us to meet him on hospital grounds for an interview for something that happened there an hour before. The PIO had not cleared it with the hospital for any of us to be there.

This is not to absolve the security guard for what he did, just to explain things better. These security guards sometimes think they have way more authority than they really have. (After my time in TV news, I then worked in security some)


I don't disagree. I think assault is a bit over the top, but I understand reporters need to defend their ability to do their jobs.


However, as your story attests, this is not really an uncommon occurrence. This is a local story/issue that some conservatives want to shout about because she's associated with the much hated CNN, nothing more.


Yawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:03 AM
 
13,821 posts, read 7,539,404 times
Reputation: 12600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
CNN is relevant nationally (unfortunately) - and Ryan is a CNN personality.

The point of hypocrisy to point out is that they use the freedom of the press argument when it works for them, and they toss aside the freedom of press argument when it works for them.

Conclusion - they really don't don't care about press freedom. They only want what works for them.
Not to mention she has been a White House correspondent for 22 years. Her behavior, or that of her security at her behest, most certainly is relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top