U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:13 PM

40 posts, read 6,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post

Reproduction saves the species, of course.

But what's the big hooraw over finding a bunch of dead bees?

I worked in Agro chemicals. It's been on the watch list for some time. We exited some chemicals due to their potential impact on bee populations as well as humans and spent millions on new ways of application to reduce residence in the soil, water and air. The EU is usually at the leading edge of these studies. We paid attention to them as do other countries. Asia and Brazil normally following the EU and USA lead within a year or two. The driving factor being finding a substitute with a cost they could manage.

If you want to know ask a scientist and not the PR/Investor relations BS artist who has a degree in communications the companies push out in front of people to say all is well, our studies say you can sprinkle it on your daughters cornflakes. Talk to a farmer about bees or a master gardener.

All chemical have risks. They can be managed if the studies flagging issues are acted upon in a timely manner vs stonewalling. We can't live without these chemicals, crop yields would fall to levels that would be unacceptable. We are taking world hunger increasing and all the ills that generates from population migration to wars.

People are really not informed as to where their food comes from and how it gets to them. All the chemicals use to kill insects are designed to impact the nervous system or reproductive system. It's in the soil and water the crops grow in and then we eat them. We all have parts per billion in our systems. A lot gets flushed out but others remain and buildup. The key is how much is over the top.

Brazil is becoming one of the largest food producers to the rest of the world but their soil is poor compared to that of most of the USA. They continue to use chemicals banned in other countries. What it has taken the EU and the USA years to learn about conservation and best practices the hard way, Brazil and Asia are only still catching up on. Profit and yields over environmental concern wins out more often than not, but the collapse of bee populations would be devastating to every country in the world including the USA.

If bee populations ever collapse a bug out bunker with 5 years of wheat rice, beans, MRE's and 1000 rounds of ammo won't last forever.. Soylent green time.

Just one of many articles over the years. But at one time, like asbestos and smoking, the risks were considered manageable.

Carbendazim is a degradation product of the widely used fungicide benomyl. Carbendazim itself is manufactured and marketed as a fungicide but because it can disrupt hormone activity in animals, it is not approved for use in the United States and other countries. Recently, carbendazim was detected in orange juice imported to the USA from Brazil (where it is legal), and the FDA is testing the juice to determine whether it poses a health risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:17 PM

25,256 posts, read 9,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I have to tell you that the OP is one of the best informed posters on C-D.

You may be a naysayer, by all means be negative if that's what makes you happy, we all know that water seeks it's own level so go ahead and sink, but some of us do have to ask the hard questions and point out the reality of the world we live in. There is more at stake here than winning pointless arguments.
There's no use living in a ecologically-balanced world (whatever that means) if I'm on my knees instead of my feet.

Like all "problems" to an individual that require cooperation the only moral and logical way to solve them is to non-violently convince others to alter their behaviors in hopes of accomplishing your objectives.

Seduce me with your mutually beneficially ideas and products, my good man.

Old Today, 12:19 PM

11,804 posts, read 2,919,892 times
Pesticide testing?

Bee STDs?

Old Today, 12:30 PM

9,850 posts, read 2,421,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Did you just inadvertently support the State taking no action on the bee "problem" by referencing Mao's Great Leap Forward?
No, I was making a case for not taking anything for granted, and for an educated response.

Clearly, one must not jump to conclusions like "who cares about a bunch of bees" or "kill the sparrow and we'll get better crops". Nothing is so simple.

The unregulated use of pesticides to kill crop insects can definitely be an historic moment in the history of stupidity. Perhaps the government of Brazil should take a little step back and rethink the strategy.

Old Today, 12:32 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,242,777 times
Quote:
More than half a billion bees drop dead in Brazil within 3 months, worrying environmentalists
I bet the bees are more worried than the environmentalists.

Old Today, 12:48 PM

25,256 posts, read 9,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
No, I was making a case for not taking anything for granted, and for an educated response.

Clearly, one must not jump to conclusions like "who cares about a bunch of bees" or "kill the sparrow and we'll get better crops". Nothing is so simple.

The unregulated use of pesticides to kill crop insects can definitely be an historic moment in the history of stupidity. Perhaps the government of Brazil should take a little step back and rethink the strategy.
Or not intervene at all. Even better.

Old Today, 12:51 PM

1,569 posts, read 301,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I bet the bees are more worried than the environmentalists.
That poor Queen Bee wondering where all her loyal subjects went.

(sorry..couldn't help it)

Old Today, 03:34 PM

9,529 posts, read 4,362,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
How many bees are there on the planet, right now?

What's the lifespan of a bee? Ten years? Five? One? Six months?

Within that time span, pretty much ALL THE BEES IN THE WORLD will drop dead.

Reproduction saves the species, of course.

But what's the big hooraw over finding a bunch of dead bees?
The bee population, especially among certain species have been falling dramatically.
Just as when certain birds like the condor and bald eagle were dying in unprecedented numbers, pesticides were the suspected culprit.
Once DDT was banned for most farming applications, the birds made a miraculous recovery.

With bees it could be pesticides, parasites, or it could also be something else.
A condition they call colony collapse disorder is vexing many a beekeeper, and more research is needed.
The bottom line is we need to find a solution, as bees are essential to farming and other important environmental health.

`

Old Today, 03:39 PM

10,968 posts, read 10,644,380 times
It's because of racism and the profusion of white supremacist groups. Trump undoubtedly had something to do with it as well.

Last edited by ChrisC; Today at 04:00 PM..

Old Today, 03:48 PM

1,569 posts, read 301,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
The bee population, especially among certain species have been falling dramatically.
Just as when certain birds like the condor and bald eagle were dying in unprecedented numbers, pesticides were the suspected culprit.
Once DDT was banned for most farming applications, the birds made a miraculous recovery.

With bees it could be pesticides, parasites, or it could also be something else.
A condition they call colony collapse disorder is vexing many a beekeeper, and more research is needed.
The bottom line is we need to find a solution, as bees are essential to farming and other important environmental health.

`
First solution is for homeowners to stop spraying everything and anything under the sun.
Just stop.
There's a spray for every damn bug out there. And then dump a load of chemicals on your lawns because of that one pesky weed that you can just mow down.

if the spray doesn't get them the runoff from the rain will and pollute the water along the way.

Like I said earlier..I lived country for near 20 years and there's no short supply of bugs, insects and BEES.
I now live more suburban where HD can't keep the chemicals on the shelves. There aren't any bugs around in suburbia. What happened to them all ? Not a single firefly anymore.

All I can say is thank the Lord that city folk can't get pesticide licenses otherwise humans would be dropping on the street right next to the bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies